News   Jul 17, 2024
 262     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 802     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 637     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Totally off-topic, but...

The Haas-Haus by Hans Hollein, who happened to be my professor for 3 years in Vienna, is first and foremost a modernist, but truth be told the building cannot be considered without taking its entire context into consideration, nor can one discuss or dismiss it without understanding the entire project both inside and out. While it is not my favourite building, there are some absolute brilliant aspects and details which make this building stand out beyond its appearance - you have to experience it and see it for the quality in architecture. While it may be dated to some, it is only one of numerous examples of his work which truly shows his understanding of architecture.

Coophimmelblau's Dresden UFA Kino, also completed by Austrians, is a fantastic example of public/private spaces intermingling with one another. While built for a movie theatre, the building was conceived as a possible solution to open spaces to the public, which were becoming increasingly private, due to bankrupt cities selling of public lands. As a result, they worked to create a public interiors, plazas and passageways within the project.

pfive'orama....yeehaw!

It's also a mostly irrelevant building to share with us because it has a different program/use as the Royal Conservatory redevelopment and also lacks a historical building in the development.

But it has a historical *context* to more than compensate, being across from St Stephen's Cathedral and all...

Sept 19

IMG_sept-19-09-0156.jpg

IMG_sept-19-09-0160.jpg

IMG_sept-19-09-0162.jpg

IMG_sept-19-09-0164.jpg

IMG_sept-19-09-0165.jpg

IMG_sept-19-09-0157.jpg

the conservatory at street level is terrific. i love the granite and marble elements. by this time next year, bloor will have completed its transformation. incredible considering its average look from only a few years ago.

This section of Bloor (ROM, RCM, Varsity) beautifully extends the official "Bloor Transformation" by about another 2 blocks it seems. Not sure if it was luck or there was some actual planning or co-operation that ensured the consistency of this continuation.

Bloor, it seems, is set become our Great Street.

(Now, if only something could be done about the North side of this stretch.)

it is becoming a great street and it's fun to walk down. i still wish the outdoor plaza in front of the ROM wasn't such a public space wet blanket. a fountain or cafe or more trees might help.

Lisa Rochon is a wonderful writer. This and the visor/Galleria Italia are my favourites of Toronto's New Wave cultural projects.

Links re last night:

Globe and Mail

Toronto Star

Anyone go/take pics?

Sorry, no pics, but I did go. More on that in the Urbanshocker's Neighbourhood thread. Beautiful building! I was happy to see all the landscaping completed in time for the opening. I've been watching this building take shape for so long it was almost surreal finally being on the inside looking out instead of being outside trying to look in. The city's a winner with this one fer sure!:)

What a beautiful gift to the city. The building looks great both inside and out, and works great as well.

I am looking forward to attending and seeing (and hearing) the space in person.

Just saw Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White here tonight. Fantastic acoustics in a magical space made for one of the best concerts of the year!

Although the former full view of the haunted house High Victorian McMaster Hall - when approached from the west - was wrecked by the obtrusive design of McKenna's addition, it makes programmatic sense: a new entrance and delivery area had to go somewhere .

Did she have any choice as to where? Just maybe - by setting the entrance further to the south, with a generous forecourt approach ... much as the Gardiner Museum respects the former Department of Household Science building to the north of it. The subdued colour palette she used matches the old grey slate roof, and Mazzoleni Hall, especially well.

Back