News   May 07, 2024
 33     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 668     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 454     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

^ I continue to think that Varsity Stadium was a mistake. It could have been shifted a bit to the south (sacrifice a parking lot at its south end), to allow for a streetwall on Bloor, instead of the very anticlimactic gap that's there now.

However, what's done is done, and it won't be changed any time soon.

Back to topic: the RCM is a truly fantastic building as it stands now. I love a project that merges old and new, treating both respectfully. RCM does that, and it stands close to the National Ballet School as an example of absolutely great architecture. I'll look forward to the completion of the big concert hall.

Chugging along here.

Sunday%20March%2016%20016.jpg

They have removed one of the construction trailers.

Sunday%20March%2016%20019.jpg

May 12th Update

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Front from Bloor Street and part of the rear of the building from Philosopher's Walk

^ I continue to think that Varsity Stadium was a mistake. It could have been shifted a bit to the south (sacrifice a parking lot at its south end), to allow for a streetwall on Bloor, instead of the very anticlimactic gap that's there now.

However, what's done is done, and it won't be changed any time soon.

It won't ever be changed - the site has been a stadium since the 19th century. It could not have been shifted south, either. Even if Trinity's field was destroyed to shift it south (and it's Trinity's land, not the U of T's at large), no 'streetwall' would exist west of Varsity, or on the north side of the street. Of course, the stadium actually *does* contribute to the streetwall in its current form, just as the fences of the Gooderham/York Club mansion and the Meteorological/Admissions building do.

Back