News   May 07, 2024
 416     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 378     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 874     3 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Quote (L. Rochon, Dec. 26): "... warm to the touch and gently exhilarating to the eye."

I think it refers specifically to the concert hall, not the building as a whole. (Wasn't a comment already made here, comparing the ceiling of the hall to the female genitals?)

Can't men fit the same description? :p

I realize corporate sponsorship is simply the reality of things in the cultural world these days, but the building would look so much better without the Telus logo.

I really need to take in a performance here.

Can't men fit the same description? :p

I realize corporate sponsorship is simply the reality of things in the cultural world these days, but the building would look so much better without the Telus logo.

I really need to take in a performance here.

Treat yourself, it's worth it!

I don't mind the Telus signage, there's much worse in-your-face corporate branding out there than this. They're single letters, back-lit, not overly-sized nor overbearing on the front of the building. I think it's quite respectful.

T'wot was Rochon referring when she opined - of the Koerner - that "It is by far, the most female of concert halls" if not to the startlingly squeezeboxian nature of the beast? She's not skirting the issue, nor have we. It is what it is.

Capturenp.JPG

^ To those of us who are musically inclined, this is a stunning development. I love to see this institution approach the international recognition it deserves. This partnership has also gained considerable ink in the U.S., especially in the Big Apple.

Chalk one up for Tdot.

I've gone in there twice to try and peak a look at the place but both times have been stopped and refused. At Roy Thompson they don't seem to mind. The next best reno cultural project after the AGO imho- at least from the outside anyway.

I took in 2 performances here at Koerner hall (Steve Reich & Savion Glover if anyone cares) and I was blown away both times by how amazing the venue is. Not only does it look and sound amazing inside the hall but the way the new space compliments the old building is both sympathetic and beautiful.
You would think I would be used to it by my second visit but it just blew me away all over again.

This place is far better than the AGO development. In my opinion, this is the best (from the outside) cultural redevelopment in Toronto period. The form, materiality, colour palette, ability to blend with the historic structure, the way it is visible from the street and allows people to enjoy and take it in. It is brilliant. Kudos to the folks involved in putting this together.

If only the ROM had engaged the same team for their monstrosity!

In my opinion the AGO lacks the subtle confidence that the Conservatory exudes. The most visible facade of the AGO - the south side on the grange park - looks awful. It was not designed to take advantage of a great public space immediately adjacent to the existing facility. The glass wall on the front is too close to the public realm to be appreciated. Toronto's cultural buildings lack attachment to great public spaces, and the AGO had the best chance at accomplishing this, but failed. I guess thats the risk of working with a foreign architect that claims himself one of our own but is not really.

Back