News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

And Bob Essert is doing the acoustics, as he did at the Weston and the Four Seasons Centre.

Royal Conservatory Of Music (UT)

RCMRender.jpg

Developer: Royal Conservatory Of Music
Architect: KPMB Architects
Planning Docs: Final Report, Toronto South Community Council
Designation: Institutional/Education
Expected Occupancy: 2007
Height:
Floors:
Size:
Value: 95 million

Photos on 2006.07.22

20060722-RCM001.jpg

West addition not yet above ground.

20060722-RCM002.jpg

Shell for the concert hall.

AoD

The Varsity Stadium bleachers look kinda ugly in that pic unfortunately lol.

The bleachers block the view of the Conservatory addition from the west - which in turn blocks the view of the west side of the old Conservatory building. Some kind of justice is at work here, I suppose.

Ed, I belive that the rendering you have at the top of the thread is an out-of-date one, as it does not show the restaurant/bar on the roof of the new auditorium. And we all know that new cultural institutions/attractions are nothing without their snazzy celebrity-chef run restaurant/bar...

I'm waiting for the day when I can sit in the ROM restaurant and give little Queen Mum waves to friends on either side - in the Gardiner and Royal Conservatory restaurants.

In fact BB, your post recalls one of our earliest exchanges on UT, and yes I still look forward to the same!

Perhaps they'll set up one of those old fashioned tube systems so we can send over little side dishes to our friends in the other restaurants, with notes that say, "try some of this, dahling ..."

Failing that, maybe a clothes line will be strung from one to the other to dry the chefs' linens in an ecologically sustainable manner, and we'll be able to pin bits to food to the line and wheel them across "wonderfully done parsnip! al dente! have a bite!", but I do admit your solution is the more refined one BB.

Ed, I belive that the rendering you have at the top of the thread is an out-of-date one, as it does not show the restaurant/bar on the roof of the new auditorium.

I took the rendering from their website. Someone is out of date.

"The bleachers block the view of the Conservatory addition from the west - which in turn blocks the view of the west side of the old Conservatory building. Some kind of justice is at work here, I suppose."

The (edit: western) addition threatens to be rather slabtacular, which is unfortunate because since Varsity Stadium was demo'd, (and correct me if I'm wrong - I wasn't in the area much before 2003) I'm pretty sure it has opened up the view of McMaster Hall substantially. Bloor gets the slab while Philosopher's Walk gets the glass...meh, whatever.

I wonder how soundtight the new RCM will be. I guess the days of listening to them all practice through the open windows are numbered. Not that I specifically enjoyed listening to violinists screech through an hour of furious cadenzas, mind you, but I always liked the random mishmash of sounds that came through the windows...it was improvised maximalism.

scarb: You mean the western addition right? We haven't seen renderings of its west wall; there certainly aren't any on either the RCM's site or KPMB's, so who knows what that side will look like. As Babel said though, it's likely that the view of it from the west will be limited because of the close proximity of the new Varsity Stadium.

Ed: While there are lots of images, a slideshow, and a virtual tour on the RCM's site, you're right, there don't seem to be any that show the latest exteriors with the restaurant up top of the Koerner Concert Hall. There is, however, a rendering of it on the hoarding around the site, and I got a picture of it last fall. Here it is:

198059410_62d26ee16f_o.jpg

Back