News   Jul 12, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

Rocco Rossi wants subways too!

But really, in the grander scheme of things, the DRL would be pretty redundant with all the development and underservicing happening in the old suburbs. Pretty sure that would just be a big waste of money. I'm not saying DRL is a bad idea, but it would be better at this point to run LRT all over the place with crossovers at intersections on slightly above grade tracks (i.e. Transit City).

Huh?

That's a really strange thing to claim. If anything, Transit City will increase pressure on the subway network, especially if Don Mills is built as planned. LRT in median roadways on suburban streets will not suddenly cause a rush of developers to abandon the downtown market leading to a sudden reversal of ridership trends. I don't think low-concept LRTs (with the notable exception of Eglinton) will make enough of a dent in gridlock. Other priorities, not gridlock, were used to justify TC - like local land use changes, serving those "priority neighbourhoods", and merely improving transit usage and capacity for short to medium distance trips in the inner suburbs.

The biggest pressure is on the Yonge Subway itself. Even getting some riders off of Bloor (if we assume ridership growth won't negate any "relief") won't fix the clear and present need for capacity that tinkering around with ATC and more station renovations won't fix.

Last edited:
a) sell air-rights to over TTC properties to finance construction projects

Just how much money can one realistically expect for these 'air-rights' over TTC properties?

How much of a premium would a developer pay to build right on top of a subway station as opposed to next door or across the street (likely still with an underground connection to the station)?

For that matter, which properties are there right now that the TTC actually owns that have the potential to sell these 'air rights'?

There's the Eglinton bus bays. But just about anywhere else new subway stations would go, the TTC still would have to buy the property before they can build the station, let alone sell 'air rights'.

b) downsize the new station designs -- do they really need to be 1,000,000 square foot high-ceiling starchitect masterpieces? Seems to me we could build half a dozen Pape stations for the cost of one Downsview station.

High ceilings are usually the result of taking the cheaper way with cut-and-cover construction. You've got to dig a big, deep hole for the station box. Once you've put in the tracks and the station, you can either spend more money putting in a low ceiling or just put a roof way up at the top of the hole, leaving you with a 'cathedral' station.

But really, in the grander scheme of things, the DRL would be pretty redundant with all the development and underservicing happening in the old suburbs. Pretty sure that would just be a big waste of money.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be a big waste of money. Unless you are suggesting that the downtown core will decline, lose businesses and residents to outlying areas, then demand is not going to go down for travel to and from the area. Given that right now the Yonge line and Y&B station are at or over capacity at peaks times, some form of relief is necessary, especially before you go dumping more passengers via feeder lines or Yonge extensions.

I just wanna see continual subway building. 1 km a year. Continually non stop. (that's a little bit, btw, but over time it will be a lot)

A few problems with that concept though. It's not like you can just keep opening 1km of line or one new station at a time as it is completed. For the line to function efficiently, the ends need to have things like tail and cross-over tracks. It seems a little excessive to build these things for each and every station along the way.

As a result, you need to plan to build a several station/km stretch of track at a time in one project. But if your funding is entirely a year-to-year thing that could be cut or re-allocated any given annual budget, you're going to have a lot of problems funding the construction or signing contracts with the building firms when you don't have an assured funding plan in place to pay them next year, let alone for the several years it will take to complete the project.

What construction company is going to be willing to sign up to such a deal, to plan their capital and labour expenditures for a 5 - 6 year project when they may be faced with such huge uncertainties?

Asterix, building at least one km a year does not mean opening one km a year too.

If we are that pressed for money, we could open some stations later.

Stations do not have to be mansions. Compare pape to downsview. Pape looks worse - but it is effective.

Who will pay $2 billion for a heavily regulated utility like Toronto Hydro?

Well, lots of people really. 9 years ago, as an example, Brampton Hydro (considerably smaller in scale than Toronto Hydro but no less regulated) fetched a price of almost $300 million (IIRC). The population of Brampton at the time was, what, 350k so Toronto Hydro has about 7 or 8 times as many residential customers now....add in the much bigger commercial customer base and I would not be surprised if Toronto Hydro was worth that $2 billion in the market. (Brampton Hydro was not the only unitlity sold, being a resident there, though, it is just easier for me to give that example).

The LRT should be successful with existing development capacity. It’s designed with the existing development in mind, and if more residential development occurs, then that’s even better. It would provide people a nice way to move around the existing neighbourhoods and slow down traffic just enough to give local commerce a chance. A subway would need like a 100-fold increase in density along the routes to be anywhere near cost-recovery once in operation. Even now, I think only the Union to Bloor stretch of the Yonge line and Bloor to Spadina breaks even or some mess like that, and that’s entirely because of employment intensity, and not residential intensity. I’m not sure we even have enough density along the existing subway line to support cost recovery. Good luck with getting communities and councillors to agree with high rises going up in their backyard with all sorts of minority folk moving in. The councillors can’t even commit to giving the LRT right of way on the roads, and they’re going to be okay with having Eglinton, Jane, etc lined with point towers?

At least Rob Ford is upfront about gutting Transity City because he just doesn’t want to spend the money, and we’ll build 1km of track a year. 1km distance in Toronto is nothing, especially out in the suburbs. You’d be between cul-de-sacs with 1km of track. Good luck getting to the next major intersection out in Etobicoke or Scarborough.

Huh?

That's a really strange thing to claim. If anything, Transit City will increase pressure on the subway network, especially if Don Mills is built as planned. LRT in median roadways on suburban streets will not suddenly cause a rush of developers to abandon the downtown market leading to a sudden reversal of ridership trends. I don't think low-concept LRTs (with the notable exception of Eglinton) will make enough of a dent in gridlock. Other priorities, not gridlock, were used to justify TC - like local land use changes, serving those "priority neighbourhoods", and merely improving transit usage and capacity for short to medium distance trips in the inner suburbs.

The biggest pressure is on the Yonge Subway itself. Even getting some riders off of Bloor (if we assume ridership growth won't negate any "relief") won't fix the clear and present need for capacity that tinkering around with ATC and more station renovations won't fix.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be a big waste of money. Unless you are suggesting that the downtown core will decline, lose businesses and residents to outlying areas, then demand is not going to go down for travel to and from the area. Given that right now the Yonge line and Y&B station are at or over capacity at peaks times, some form of relief is necessary, especially before you go dumping more passengers via feeder lines or Yonge extensions.

I think the goal should be to even out demand on the transit system. They get over capacity at peak times because TTC can’t afford to automate, and everyone goes to union to get to their suburban bedrooms. Otherwise, the TTC runs under-capacity most of the time.

I thought the cost for the Sheppard line was close to a half billion a station or something, wasn’t it? And that was a decade ago in an area of the city that was very much underbuilt and whatever expropriations had to be done happened for super cheap. I’d suspect that’s no longer true with the new routes along more established communities. Plus, labour and fuel costs are much much higher. $225 mill per station seems like an optimistically lowball estimate to me. Plus there’s the practicality of having subway train go back and forth between two stations all day. They’d have to build out from the existing lines which already have excess capacity outside of peak hours. So it’d be like 10 years before the line got anywhere close to the high density nodes in the Toronto suburbs at the rate of a couple kilometres a year. And you’d have to have continuous Environmental Assessments as you built out or changed your mind. All it would take is a lawsuit from a ratepayer group like at St Clair to tack on a few years of delay. It’d be better to commit to the LRT I think. At least that way you secure the right of way, and if you approve enough housing and commercial density along the route, you can tunnel. A good chunk of the Eglinton and Sheppard LRTs are running underground anyway...

Subways are nice and all, but I don’t think Toronto council would ever approve the kind of densities you need to make it recover operating costs. That’s what everyone is going gangbusters about this time, we can’t afford the LRT! We probably couldn’t afford the subway once it got built since no one is going to have the balls to tell their voters why more density is a good thing. I think it took about 5 years before the developers finally went to the OMB on a high rise application out in Etobicoke. They wanted to put up high rise condos by the 427. Local ratepayers group from the other side of the highway created a shit storm through their councillor and bogged the whole thing down. Then they went to OMB. And I think there was a bankruptcy along the way, and someone other developer came in and built adjacent to the site once the OMB case got settled. That’s for one condo with ample parking in an industrial big box wasteland by the highway, nowhere near the existing single-detached community on the other side of the highway.

Also I don’t know why the private sector would get involved (a la Rob Ford) if they couldn’t at least recover their costs... If the city sells assets, I think they’ve got more pressing social issues to deal with than a subway to the airport, which should be 100% federal spending since its their airport. I don’t know why Rossi wants to run a subway to the airport. York and Vaughan should be paying their fair share for running the subway up into York. I don’t get why Toronto is paying for that particular expansion.

Last edited:
Just how much money can one realistically expect for these 'air-rights' over TTC properties?

How much of a premium would a developer pay to build right on top of a subway station as opposed to next door or across the street (likely still with an underground connection to the station)?

For that matter, which properties are there right now that the TTC actually owns that have the potential to sell these 'air rights'?

There's the Eglinton bus bays. But just about anywhere else new subway stations would go, the TTC still would have to buy the property before they can build the station, let alone sell 'air rights'.

That's true. It's something I've seen recommended in the past, but I don't know how one-off air right sales to developers would get enough money to do much.

Even then, you’re running afoul of local rate payer groups that want to keep things the way they are. Plus, selling Hydro doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me at least. Its crazy regulated, and its unlikely you’d get much of a bid for it. You’re probably better off doing long-term structural changes to the City workforce and org chart to realize savings, not one-off asset dumps like the 407. Which, if the public had held on to, would be a profit generating device.

Well, lots of people really. 9 years ago, as an example, Brampton Hydro (considerably smaller in scale than Toronto Hydro but no less regulated) fetched a price of almost $300 million (IIRC). The population of Brampton at the time was, what, 350k so Toronto Hydro has about 7 or 8 times as many residential customers now....add in the much bigger commercial customer base and I would not be surprised if Toronto Hydro was worth that $2 billion in the market. (Brampton Hydro was not the only unitlity sold, being a resident there, though, it is just easier for me to give that example).

Sure. And from that $2B you now need to remove the stuff the city current receives from Toronto Hydro at minimal cost; not to mention the still substantial loan.

So, drop the loan and you have $1.5B. Assume that the fees for city lights, pole rental (to the TTC, etc.) will increase, and other changes. Go with a 10 to 20 year period.

Now remove the value of the physical assets from the books as we have used Toronto Hydro assets as collateral when issuing bonds.

What's left as a NET gain from the sale to put toward construction of Subway? How will it impact projects like the long-term undergrounding of wires on main streets -- will the new owners be obliged to continue this project?

Compare to this alternative. Boost Toronto Hydro fees by a similar amount that privitization would (10% 20% ?) and keep it within the city. What does that do?

Chicago is a great example. They sold (long term lease) their parking meters instead of boosting the rates themselves. The private firm expects to make $500M on the difference between what the city charged them and what they are able to charge for parking. The City of Chicago could have very easily raised parking rates to what the market would bear and earned that $500M themselves.

I think selling Toronto Hydro will actively harm our ability to build electrified public transit (trams and subways) due to TTC being obliged to meet privatized Toronto Hydro demands, not contribute a single penny toward expansion, and not reduce our debt load compared to assets/revenue enough to outweigh new expenses the city will be required to take on.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

That's true. It's something I've seen recommended in the past, but I don't know how one-off air right sales to developers would get enough money to do much.

We have two examples of recent developments of similar nature. TIFF Tower and L-Tower. The subway underneath poses additional construction constraints which these two buildings did not have so we can assume it would be less than these two locations received. Was it $15M for L-Tower and $10M for TIFF?

Sure. And from that $2B you now need to remove the stuff the city current receives from Toronto Hydro at minimal cost; not to mention the still substantial loan.

So, drop the loan and you have $1.5B. Assume that the fees for city lights, pole rental (to the TTC, etc.) will increase, and other changes. Go with a 10 to 20 year period.

Now remove the value of the physical assets from the books as we have used Toronto Hydro assets as collateral when issuing bonds.

What's left as a NET gain from the sale to put toward construction of Subway? How will it impact projects like the long-term undergrounding of wires on main streets -- will the new owners be obliged to continue this project?

Compare to this alternative. Boost Toronto Hydro fees by a similar amount that privitization would (10% 20% ?) and keep it within the city. What does that do?

Chicago is a great example. They sold (long term lease) their parking meters instead of boosting the rates themselves. The private firm expects to make $500M on the difference between what the city charged them and what they are able to charge for parking. The City of Chicago could have very easily raised parking rates to what the market would bear and earned that $500M themselves.

I think selling Toronto Hydro will actively harm our ability to build electrified public transit (trams and subways) due to TTC being obliged to meet privatized Toronto Hydro demands, not contribute a single penny toward expansion, and not reduce our debt load compared to assets/revenue enough to outweigh new expenses the city will be required to take on.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

Of course you should/would have to way the "net" impact.......lots of cities found that to be positive and sold their hydro utility. All I was doing was responding to someone who said they did not think that TH is worth $2B in the market....I think it is worth that and probably more.

The LRT should be successful with existing development capacity. It’s designed with the existing development in mind, and if more residential development occurs, then that’s even better.

Address the 13 km tunnel. There is no reason why that should not be a full metro from the start. There is also no reason why the Sheppard line should not extended at the minimum of 2 km.

A good chunk of the Eglinton and Sheppard LRTs are running underground anyway...

If it is underground, there is no reason whatsoever that it should not be a metro.

^^ Eliminating the need to transfer to a surface vehicle isn't enough of a reason?

In any case, I thought Smitherman's smackdown of Rossi was actually well-done and the first thing I've seen from George in a long while that sort of makes me like him (a little):

Rocco Rossi kills expanded public transit on Eglinton
Multi-billion dollar hole in mistake-ridden "plan"

Toronto, ON – Mayoral candidate George Smitherman reacted to Rocco Rossi's transit announcement by saying that Torontonians now have the right to question Mr. Rossi's competence to be mayor following the release of a plan that will provide Torontonians with fewer public transit options and is notable for its multi-billion dollar hole and basic errors.

"It wasn't long ago Mr. Rossi openly opposed transit expansion saying there were no operating dollars to fund it – today he not only flip-flopped on those words, he actually delivered a plan that makes matters even worse," Smitherman said.

Here are the problems with Mr. Rossi's announcement:

1. It kills all transit expansion on Eglinton Avenue – no LRTs – no subways (and if Mr. Rossi claims they are – nowhere are they included in his costing).
2. The sale of Toronto Hydro won't get anywhere near the $3 billion Mr. Rossi is counting on. Some estimates put the cost closer to $1 billion leaving Mr. Rossi with a $2 billion hole he refuses to explain.
3. Mr. Rossi forgot to include the province's 33% transfer tax on the sale of utilities in his calculations.
4. Nowhere does Mr. Rossi account for the lost revenue from Toronto Hydro which has provided the city with over $350 million since 2003. In addition to not setting aside any money for operating his phantom subways – how would he replace the expected half-billion dollars in Toronto Hydro profits that would otherwise be earned during the 10 years of Mr. Rossi's plan, not to mention the billions in lost economic development potential over the long-term as the world moves towards a greener economy.
5. Mr. Rossi says he will sell off assets other than Toronto Hydro but identifies none.

"This guy is the self-proclaimed numbers guy but his numbers don't come close to adding up," said Smitherman. "By relying on a right-wing, 407-style fire sale of Toronto Hydro and unknown city assets, the only thing city residents can count on is being nickeled and dimed even more as their service levels continue to fall."

Visiting Weston road and Eglinton Avenue West today, Smitherman added: "Mr. Rossi has already stated he's against the LRT on Eglinton Avenue and now he has said that he only intends to build 20 kilometres of subway over the next decade. Given the Eglinton line alone is 33 kilometres long, it's clear Mr. Rossi's plan will leave Eglinton derailed and Torontonians stuck in traffic for generations to come."

Smitherman has stated that he will use every means of influence to push the province to fulfil its commitment to transit expansion in Toronto – having fought hard for transit funding at the cabinet table – and will release a detailed transit plan shortly that will get Toronto moving again.

We need several rapid transit lines now. Heavy rail subways take a very long time to build and are very expensive. The city is in too much debt, and the federal and provincial governments will not hand over such a large fortune to build them. At least with a light rail network, that's network, we will be able to get around the city faster and in better comfort than the current buses. Yes, continue building heavy rail subways, but where they are needed most, not because some of us have a wishlist.

I think most of the DRL works in terms of having similar demand to the existing Bloor Line. Running the subway up to Flemingdon Park and Thorncliffe as on most DRL plans would probably let the TTC drop fares because there’s so many people living in that part of the city, lol. But then increased residential prices might push people out of those communities and create a bit of a zero-sum game.

Rossi wants to build the Sheppard line further east into relative nowheresville where people use cars or buses to move around. The TDSB is closing schools out that way because the population is distributed so unevenly. You’d have to build all the way out to Brimley in the first phase in order to reach the first significant population centre. Otherwise it’ll be as busy as that station in Rosedale is at 11:30am.

I’m not sure how allegedly wiping out the debt servicing and reducing our budget by 450 million would make it anymore politically palatable to then increase the TTC operating budget by 450 million. They need that money for existing things, let alone a new subway network. Plus, you’d have to incur debt to build any major infrastructure like a subway, so we’d be back where we started? I dunno. Metrolinx really needs to take over and start a greater golden horseshoe wide car registration levy, a percentage point on income tax, and a percentage point on property tax to subsidise region-wide transit intensification. The problem is money, not need. Everyone needs transit, but it is not profitable for the private sector, so it has to be a public/socialised enterprise, but we have to deal with healthcare, pensions, etc over the coming years. Something’s gotta give.

I think the genius of Transit City was that it got so much infrastructure upgraded for existing neighbourhoods. You’d have to concurrently replace/upgrade watermains, electric works, etc for existing neighbourhoods as you built track many of which were priority neighbourhoods. That’s how St Clair got expensive. But now St Clair is the part of the city the closest to the 21st century in terms of infrastructure. We don’t need to go back and do anything for them for hopefully another 50 or 75 years. The subways would just throw more money after neighbourhoods that aren’t really in need (relative to other parts of the city) of infrastructure upgrades. They’re nice, but LRT allows more short- and medium-term goals to be realised, I think, than the subway. I think the subway is still stuck in the realm of people wanting silver bullet, flashy magical solutions that cure everything as opposed to many small things that cumulatively might have more impact. If we wanted to really save money but make transit work, we should replace our buses and give them those things that change the traffic lights and give them their own lanes with demerits for drivers that entered them under any circumstances. People would have to wait for the bus to clear the intersection before taking a right turn. That would really move people around and disincentivize driving.

Maybe continuous tunnelling with track could be an annual budget line for the TTC, but no physical stations are built and wiring connected until residential and non-residential density targets are reached at points along the routes. That way you’d have to go out to the public with the grand plan explaining what kind of demand you would need to support a cost-recovery subway, conduct the environmental assessments, start tunnelling, and increases in speculated land value along the routes would help tip owners of existing properties to push for rezoning. As opposed to a planner telling a councillor it is needed, but since no residents have any incentive to support up-zoning of properties, nothing ever happens.

Back