News   Jul 18, 2024
 501     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 850     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
i found this to be really well said...

Some may complain that this personal stuff has nothing to do with his job performance. But all of us should care if the mayor is directly involved in the criminal underworld, which this investigation suggests as a reasonable possibility. As leader of the city, the mayor should consider it his job to specifically dispel people’s fears that he’s involved with violent organized crime. Ford is unlikely to open up, of course—and his strategy of dismissing questions and speculation about his associations seems to be working for him, politically anyway. Those troubled by it will only be more so if he elaborates. Those who think it’s a plot to attack him need no further convincing. Meanwhile, the police will only implicate or exonerate him in their own due time.

We’re stuck in a tough spot—knowing just enough to be deeply bothered by what we still can’t be sure of, knowing also that we have no real independent means for confirming the truth. And to ignore that uncertainty during an election campaign would be negligent.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/politics/with-friends-like-these/

I want so badly for this all to finally end as a shitstorm, but I'm in the 30% likelihood camp. Primarily because, if he was going to be charged it would have happened by now.

That being said, is this the end of ALL police investigations or just Traveller? I.E. is Brazen II still ongoing? Was there a Traveller II??

CBC confirmed it this morning. Source says Brazen II is over and Ford won't be charged.

Well THAT sucks. :(

It could also mean that Ford is redacted from the docs, as he's conceivably an "innocent third party who has not been charged".

:(

EDIT: The last vestige of hope, from Edward Keenan:

The investigations will run their course without regard to political fallout, and the police will zealously guard information they think could help any eventual case—even as the media lobby for more details, like this week’s appeal for the release of the 500-page warrant that led to Lisi’s arrest.

Last edited:
One of the media lawyers has said that info in documents will make you "take severe notice". Oops, I guess Rob is mentioned.

Ford is indeed mentioned unredacted throughout the report and it's explosive stuff. That's all anyone will say, and I had to press just for that brief hint.

Things may have gone this route because cops want to use public pressure to convince the crown the lay charges.

Crown is reluctant to take on a high profile case that could drag on because Ford can afford the best lawyers.

Ohhhhhhhh! This makes a ton more sense.

And from 1010 no less.

Can't keep up with who's who? The Star puts it all together: http://misc.thestar.com/interactivegraphic/fordplayersFULL.html

Thanks - I was looking for a way to link to that on my ipad but not having much luck! It will be a great companion piece to the reveals, I'm sure.

The Bruno Bellissimo 'debit card' thing is quite interesting. Also, I didn't recall hearing Peter Kordas' name before, but was very unsurprised that he lives in his parents' home :rolleyes:

Thanks - I was looking for a way to link to that on my ipad but not having much luck! It will be a great companion piece to the reveals, I'm sure.

The Bruno Bellissimo 'debit card' thing is quite interesting. Also, I didn't recall hearing Peter Kordas' name before, but was very unsurprised that he lives in his parents' home :rolleyes:

Yeah, on the CBC this morning they had an unconnected piece about ATMs and how they are useful for laundering money - strip club or bar owners will buy them and then they are essentially laundering machines - supposedly around $350million is laundered each year in Canada in this way.

Jimmi T - thanks for the info and insight. I really hope you're right.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/private-atms-vulnerable-to-money-laundering-1.2288659

Last edited:

Sooo... anyone else find it interesting that they have a special section in that graphic on 'Murder of Anthony Smith', then at the bottom of the page, where they highlight the detectives, they note that Schertzer worked on the the Anthony Smith case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back