68     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 913     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 818     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know, I don't know what it's saying that re the Dundas streetcar shooting incident currently transfixing Toronto, unless I'm mistaken Rob Ford has been thus far invisible. Not explicitly pro- or anti- any camp, but just--off radar. Almost like where it happened (deep in the heart of Anti-Ford Nation, and on a streetcar, yet) is in a wholly alien universe that he'd rather let go to seed, out of sight, out of mind...

What exactly are they hoping to accomplish by this? Given the leanings of his ward, this campaign is unlikely to hurt his chances of re-election next year, and I can't see how it would sway the OMB in their decision on council size either. This sounds to me like its just a waste of money on a personal vendetta.

Thank you TTC (not the people mover) for giving me another reason to vote against your candidate.

Maybe a move to the suburbs would help (argos certainly don't have many downtown fans), but it may also prove to be the kiss of death for a team that hugely benefits from its skydome visibility. I know many people who don't even know the argos exist and who are unaware of what the CFL is. Can't say the same for TFC, Jays, or Maple Leafs, or Raptors.
Using the Argos in a paranoid downtown/suburbs rant -- that's gold Jerry, gold!

The "I know many people" deal was also a nice touch.

TFC is behind the Argos only because of TV ratings. Argos get great TV ratings. At least since the TSN, contract. But the CFL is gate driven, so the TV ratings mean almost nothing. Just like the NHL. TFC has bad TV ratings, so they are last.

Ford also wanted an NFL team at some point, so why we are talking about this I have no idea.
You make it seem as if TV ratings mean nothing. The next CFL contract which starts next year will basically double what each team gets even with a new team in 2014, and it's thanks to TV ratings. Because of strong ratings, the NHL expects to see a very healthy increase in their next Canadian TV contracts (over-the-air and cable) which will take effect in 2014-15. The NFL would still be the disrespected, backwater league it was in the early 50s if not for television.

We're talking about it (a potential new stadium) because Ford talked about it.

Thank you TTC (not the people mover) for giving me another reason to vote against your candidate.
I bet they had you for sure before this anti-Vaughan campaign.

Y'know, I don't know what it's saying that re the Dundas streetcar shooting incident currently transfixing Toronto, unless I'm mistaken Rob Ford has been thus far invisible. Not explicitly pro- or anti- any camp, but just--off radar. Almost like where it happened (deep in the heart of Anti-Ford Nation, and on a streetcar, yet) is in a wholly alien universe that he'd rather let go to seed, out of sight, out of mind...

Ahhh leadership, where art thou? Methinks Robo-Flop doesn't want to alienate the police, hence his silence.

The man's incommunicado, either in rehab or the basement of the Windsor St. Crackhouse. Plus, what could he possibly say?

The Mayor is too busy campaigning for Tim Hudak and his candidates to care about city business right now! Respect for taxpayers starts at their front door I guess, during business hours, on the city's dime (cause you know he'll have staff with him).

What exactly are they hoping to accomplish by this? Given the leanings of his ward, this campaign is unlikely to hurt his chances of re-election next year, and I can't see how it would sway the OMB in their decision on council size either. This sounds to me like its just a waste of money on a personal vendetta.

Seems more to me that he's working in tandem with the Fords or another Ford to create a path for many more years of Rob Ford to come. We'll see if all that comes to play once Mcguire's appeal is presented to the OMB, and if they have an insider (Rocco Rossi?) on their side there. Keep your eyes open, folks.

Summer recess = not much for him to talk about.

The Mayor is too busy campaigning for Tim Hudak and his candidates to care about city business right now! Respect for taxpayers starts at their front door I guess, during business hours, on the city's dime (cause you know he'll have staff with him).

This is a general complaint I have about politcians/politics in our set up. A couple of weeks ago I sent my MPP an email.....have yet to receive a reply...yet daily I see their tweets from the five by-election ridings. So, essentially, the folks in my riding elected them to represent us...they are being paid by the collective tax dollars to do their job...yet, during this campaign, they only seem to be working for their party.

Sorry to take this away from the Ford discussion but it really is a problem in our "system" (possibly in all democratic systems and perhaps unsolvable).

This is a general complaint I have about politicians/politics in our set up. A couple of weeks ago I sent my MPP an email.....have yet to receive a reply...yet daily I see their tweets from the five by-election ridings. So, essentially, the folks in my riding elected them to represent us...they are being paid by the collective tax dollars to do their job...yet, during this campaign, they only seem to be working for their party.

That's the way it goes, a party/partisan politician only owes their allegiance to their party, not actually to the people who vote form "them".

Sorry to take this away from the Ford discussion but it really is a problem in our "system" (possibly in all democratic systems and perhaps unsolvable).

You may not be to off topic, the Fords love to talk about how non-partisan politics stop the Fords from making decisions unilaterally. This is a big reason why Robbie, Dougie, and with the assistance from the Taxpayers of Toronto Coalition, want a reduction in councilors, to reduce possible opposition to their edicts. I love how there is the screaming of "democracy", and "we work for you" from the Fords, but they want to eliminate the proper representation of the voters. Robbie lately heralded Winnipeg for having only 16 councilors, but they still have more councilors per 100k voters than Toronto. Just another example of how facts are used out of context, etc. to promote an agenda first, and the truth second if voters are lucky.

Right now a pet peeve of mine, non-partisan government campaining for partisan government:

http://globalnews.ca/news/743474/co...r-rivals-photo-op-on-ontario-byelection-stop/
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/29/peter-milczyn-fires-back-at-fords-for-doug-holyday-support

Last edited:
Using the Argos in a paranoid downtown/suburbs rant -- that's gold Jerry, gold!

The "I know many people" deal was also a nice touch.

I live across the street from the skydome and I'm very familiar with the crowds each team attracts.

I like the Argos personally, I watch them occasionally and I prefer the CFL to the NFL. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

I bet they had you for sure before this anti-Vaughan campaign.

Yeah, they totally had me :rolleyes:

But seriously, I'm not worried. The TTC has zero chance of their candidate winning in this ward. I'm not a big fan of Vaughan, but I'll gladly be ticking off his name on the ballot in 2014, assuming a better candidate doesn't roll around.

I live across the street from the skydome and I'm very familiar with the crowds each team attracts.

I like the Argos personally, I watch them occasionally and I prefer the CFL to the NFL. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Ahem... Rogers Centre. Or are you one of those "Skydome 4 Life" guys lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back