150     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 918     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember someone promising that the new story would be bigger than the crack video and that it is the kind of story reporters live for. I'm pretty sure it was on this board.
Probably just wishful thinking. A story like that would need a pretty high level of secrecy, especially after the video fiasco, and no reporter worth their salt would risk blabbing to an outsider.

If something like that did come out, I doubt anyone on the forum would have known about it except maybe just before it got published.

So in his infinite wisdom robbie has now publicly encouraged residents to call 911 if they see someone graffitting.

The godamn emergency response line for graffiti.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David Landsel/toronto-travel_b_3483923.html

David Landsel
Contributing editor at Airfarewatchdog.com

7 Very Good Reasons to Visit Toronto This Summer

Drive into Toronto these days and you will notice things. The skyline seems bigger, because it is. The sidewalks seem more crowded, because they are. You may also wonder if the traffic isn't more terrible than you remember. You would be correct.

Nearly three million people live in Toronto now, with more and more of them living and working within the city's increasingly dense core. Toronto the city is now slightly larger than Chicago. The region is edging ever closer to seven million inhabitants, with many more new arrivals predicted to arrive in the decades ahead.

What does this all mean? Generally speaking, today's Toronto is different than the Toronto of even a few years ago. It is more vibrant, less predictable. Flatly put, it is more interesting. They even have real scandals now -- the kind that can grab the attention of seen-it-all Americans. (Maybe you saw the news, the other week?)

Toronto is a really good walking city, The Chinese food is outstanding, The summer cultural calendar is intense, The city's historic markets are worth the trip, This is suddenly a great hotel town...

Last edited:
So in his infinite wisdom robbie has now publicly encouraged residents to call 911 if they see someone graffitting.

The godamn emergency response line for graffiti.

See this link for information on Rob Ford suggesting people call 911 for graffiti.

Maybe he spotted someone with sidewalk caulk from his window at city hall.

Last edited:
I fail to see what's wrong with the mayor helping to campaign in a provincial election. You don't see Murray calling Shelley Carroll out for helping in Etobicoke - oh right she's a member of the Liberal Party.

Calling Ford out on policy though is fair game.

“How can you claim to be a subway champion when you’ve been Rob Ford for three years and you haven’t come up with five cents for a subway investment?” he said outside Queen’s Park Wednesday. “With the mayor, it’s all talk, talk, talk about subways. No one’s writing a cheque."

Glen Murray telling us what we have been saying! You can support subways all you want but without MONEY nothing gets built. Screaming subways at the top of your lungs is not going to get anything built. It's not about subways or LRT, its about the money to fund projects. We have sat around for 3 years since this guy was elected and got nothing meaningful done. Meanwhile time keeps going on and costs keep escalating. This guy attempts to derail any plan on how to fund transit in this region without bringing any plan of his own He wants others to pay while he pitches in nothing so he can tell his base he saved them money. He claims he has saved the city a billion dollars, why doesnt he use that money to build subways? Redistributing money from existing projects to your pet projects is not funding. Also a change in provincial government is not going to get us the money to build anything because I doubt any new government is going to hand us the billions we need. I wonder how we elected such a buffoon.

Last edited:
Because Rogers wanted to take the "dome" out of the name altogether so people would have no choice but to say Rogers when they refer to the stadium. If it were called Rogers Dome you could informally refer to it as "the Dome" (just like when it was called SkyDome), but "the Centre" just doesn't work. Pretty clever marketing folks at Rogers.

I don't think it was clever at all, it was a slap in the face and really bad PR. Why almost a decade later do you think many still call it the "Skydome", or "the Dome"? Had Rogers been respectful of this building, known around the world, it would have been Rogers Skydome, and I for one would have been quite content with that. Calling it Rogers Centre just made me dislike that company even more. I look forward to getting Bell FIBE soon so that I never have to deal with them again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David Landsel/toronto-travel_b_3483923.html

David Landsel
Contributing editor at Airfarewatchdog.com

7 Very Good Reasons to Visit Toronto This Summer

Toronto is a really good walking city, The Chinese food is outstanding, The summer cultural calendar is intense, The city's historic markets are worth the trip, This is suddenly a great hotel town...

This reminds me of a great line from "Weeds" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg3xoNGwOmI

Ford finally acknowledged the Sammy Yatim slaughter yesterday - "Also Tuesday, Mayor Rob Ford commented on the shooting for the first time, calling it “unfortunate” and offering his condolences to the teen’s family."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ar-before-sammy-yatims-death/article13522919/

I fail to see what's wrong with the mayor helping to campaign in a provincial election. You don't see Murray calling Shelley Carroll out for helping in Etobicoke - oh right she's a member of the Liberal Party.

Calling Ford out on policy though is fair game.

Strange that the Liberals are now so opposed to politicians involving themselves in elections in another level of government. Particularly given that the Liberal Party handed out 75,000 postcards/flyers backing George Smitherman during the 2010 mayoral election on top of an endorsement from (then) premier McGuinty, Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne, and Research and Innovation Minister Glen Murray.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._to_help_george_smitherman_stop_rob_ford.html

Council is out for the summer and this was at most one day of campaigning. I don't see what the big deal is. The Liberals trying to make this into a scandal is a bit of hypocrisy on their part.

Last edited:
We've been advised on this thread that certain media outlets (I think it's the Star & the Globe) are ensuring that all their 'ducks are in a row', (my words) legally, factually...then the story or stories on Ford (or others in his family?) will made public.

correct.

We've been advised on this thread that certain media outlets (I think it's the Star & the Globe) are ensuring that all their 'ducks are in a row', (my words) legally, factually...then the story or stories on Ford (or others in his family?) will made public.

As an aside, I don't think that anyone on UT has characterized what's to come as 'bigger than the crack video/hashish-dealing'. It may well be, but, we'll have to wait and see.

Yep, I recall being advised that - I was just wondering if there have been any updates as I've been away from the thread for a while. And on your aside, it was definitely characterized that way.

Strange that the Liberals are now so opposed to politicians involving themselves in elections in another level of government. Particularly given that the Liberal Party handed out 75,000 postcards/flyers backing George Smitherman during the 2010 mayoral election on top of an endorsement from (then) premier McGuinty, Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne, and Research and Innovation Minister Glen Murray.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._to_help_george_smitherman_stop_rob_ford.html

Council is out for the summer and this was at most one day of campaigning. I don't see what the big deal is. The Liberals trying to make this into a scandal is a bit of hypocrisy on their part.

Of course it's hypocritical; it's politics. I see it as an attempt to smear the PCs by identifying them with Rob Ford, which in a sane world would be a good political strategy, but this is Toronto and we elected Ford as our mayor, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back