News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 920     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they totally had me :rolleyes:

But seriously, I'm not worried. The TTC has zero chance of their candidate winning in this ward. I'm not a big fan of Vaughan, but I'll gladly be ticking off his name on the ballot in 2014, assuming a better candidate doesn't roll around.

Ahem... Rogers Centre. Or are you one of those "Skydome 4 Life" guys lol

Better legitimacy for a "Skydome 4 Life" guy than those "Toronto Taxpayers Coalition" phonies.

Ahem... Rogers Centre. Or are you one of those "Skydome 4 Life" guys lol

I am, hahah. Let's see where 'skydome' comes from:

The name "SkyDome" was coined by Kellie Watson, a private citizen of the town of Wallaceburg, Ontario, who entered a province-wide "name the stadium" contest in 1987. Sponsored by the Toronto Sun, ballots were offered for people to submit their suggested name. Over 150,000 entries were received with 12,897 different names. The selection committee narrowed it down to four choices: "Towerdome", "Harbourdome", "SkyDome", and simply "the Dome". The judges' final selection was SkyDome. Over 2,000 people proposed SkyDome, and as a result a winning name was drawn from all the similar entries.

I think it's fair play to refer to the skydome as 'rogers centre' in the official media, they paid for those rights and they are theirs. I do find however that it's more respectful to our history and to those who made it happen to keep the SkyDome name alive informally.

I am, hahah. Let's see where 'skydome' comes from:

I think it's fair play to refer to the skydome as 'rogers centre' in the official media, they paid for those rights and they are theirs. I do find however that it's more respectful to our history and to those who made it happen to keep the SkyDome name alive informally.

Yup. I agree. I was just pulling your leg. SkyDome is a much better name. Especially given the retractable roof.

Last edited:
Torontonist discovered this gem:

[video=youtube;IgY5IJv9zK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgY5IJv9zK4[/video]

Figures that Rob Ford would have the aging hard rocker misogynist vote locked up. Though they're apparently not even from Toronto, so I'm not sure it will do him much good.

The song's still way better than "Mayor Ford (The World Will Remember)".

I honestly can't decide who that video is lampooning. Featuring Stintz, Thomson and Wynne as comunists as if they shared the same political ideology and then Rob Ford as superman with a body to match.

Wow, that Helix rubbish almost makes me want to follow my peers and disengage completely from politics. I can't believe I watched that before bed. What a bunch of twats. Older they may be, but wiser they aren't.

What a sad joke.

Yeah, that was all brutal, but the worst may just have been Stephen Harper's schnozz on a fictitious 1 million note. As we kids like to say: "Bitch, please!"

Better yet, why not Rogers Dome? Rogers paid for naming rights, but many are still nostalgic about the SkyDome name. It is a good compromise.

Because Rogers wanted to take the "dome" out of the name altogether so people would have no choice but to say Rogers when they refer to the stadium. If it were called Rogers Dome you could informally refer to it as "the Dome" (just like when it was called SkyDome), but "the Centre" just doesn't work. Pretty clever marketing folks at Rogers.

It's kind of like if they had named the Leafs arena the Air Canada Gardens as a nod to Maple Leaf Gardens. People would still refer to it as the Gardens.

hey whatever happened to the "bigger than the crack video/hashish-dealing" story that was ready to drop? Anyone know?

We've been advised on this thread that certain media outlets (I think it's the Star & the Globe) are ensuring that all their 'ducks are in a row', (my words) legally, factually...then the story or stories on Ford (or others in his family?) will made public.

As an aside, I don't think that anyone on UT has characterized what's to come as 'bigger than the crack video/hashish-dealing'. It may well be, but, we'll have to wait and see.

I remember someone promising that the new story would be bigger than the crack video and that it is the kind of story reporters live for. I'm pretty sure it was on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back