58     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh....sex scandals don't seem to produce as much bang here in Canada as they do in the US. I think it's mostly the hypocracy thing. There's so much railing in the US against sexual promiscuity that when a politician is found out they tend to get blasted for it. Conversely, corruption seems to be a much bigger deal up here than down south where it's practically expected.

I never understood sex scandals. Why should we care who is having sex with who?

At this point, I don't think the substance matters. What matters is that the Mayor was (allegedly) engaged in drug use while hanging out with drug dealers -- even if he didn't use anything, he's consorting with the very people he professes to despise. And then there are all his (alleged) comments as well.

Totally agree, my point was more about from Ford's view - a pot charge being less than a crack charge. He might be more willing to admit to the lesser of the two. If it's nailed down as crack (or meth) then he's got no outs.

Ford's done either way, the video showing up just accelerates the process of him leaving.

I'm very curious to see how the fundraiser goes and the societal implications of it. ie - how many more people will now try this avenue when they have juicy videos. And the inevitable grifters who will show up with fake videos to try and take advantage of it.

Devil's advocate - let's say we pay this drug dealer the 200K and he goes and buys a bad load of heroin and a bunch of people OD? Or buys a shipment of guns which are traced to the killings of innocent civilians during a gang shootout. It might be tough to track the direct relation of the two, but when you think of it in this light it's hard to justify paying drug dealers. Everyone's saying it's for the greater good. But what if the cost is 200K plus 1 innocent civilian's death? Is that still worth it?

I regret donating to this now (even though I really want the video out) Definitely a bad impulse buy on my part......

I never understood sex scandals. Why should we care who is having sex with who?

People who care about things like that will tell you it speaks to the character/fidelity of the politician in question..."how can America trust Bill Clinton in the oval office when it turns out Hilary could not trust Bill Clinton in the oval office"....kinda stuff.

I think, generally, the populace has migrated to a more European viewpoint on this and care a bit less than they used to......so the old thing about leaders now be blackmailable is not such a big deal....if we believe all the old spy stories from the cold war it was common practice to try and lure someone from the other side into bed with someone they should not have been in bed with and then blackmail them to get information/leaks.....not sure that would work as well anymore.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate - let's say we pay this drug dealer the 200K and he goes and buys a bad load of heroin and a bunch of people OD? Or buys a shipment of guns which are traced to the killings of innocent civilians during a gang shootout. It might be tough to track the direct relation of the two, but when you think of it in this light it's hard to justify paying drug dealers. Everyone's saying it's for the greater good. But what if the cost is 200K plus 1 innocent civilian's death? Is that still worth it?

You could do the exact same speculation with almost anything. What if I take a vacation in Mexico and the resort has connections to the drug trade and the maids have all been trafficked? And so on.

picard102:

Or have Toronto plastered over the front page world media. Look to your namesake - what would Picard have done?

"You're a Starfleet officer. You have a duty."

Unless you are saying leadership and duty are no longer something the chief magistrate of the city should strive for, that is.

AoD

You could do the exact same speculation with almost anything. What if I take a vacation in Mexico and the resort has connections to the drug trade and the maids have all been trafficked? And so on.

In theory, you don't know you're taking a vacation in a resort owned by the mob. Here, we're knowingly paying drug dealers.

picard102:

Or have Toronto plastered over the front page world media. Look to your namesake - what would Picard have done?

"You're a Starfleet officer. You have a duty."

Unless you are saying leadership and duty are no longer something the chief magistrate of the city should strive for, that is.

AoD

[video=youtube;H7ylbiCuFyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ylbiCuFyw[/video]

Last edited:
In theory, you don't know you're taking a vacation in a resort owned by the mob. Here, we're knowingly paying drug dealers.

We knowingly buy products that are made by exploited workers, that pollute the environment, etc. I'm all for making ethical choices about where our money goes, but since we generally don't even think about it in our daily lives, I don't see why we suddenly have to take the high road in the case of this one video.

js97:

Instead of having the mayor - with substantial influence, power, access to resources - consorting with crack dealers and/or being beholden by them, knowingly or unknowingly?

Not really, I for one couldn't give a damn about those - particularly when a) there is no criminality and b) there aren't any blantant hypocracy.

AoD

Well, I think most of us have already accepted it as a fact, and the anti-ford crowd doesn't really need the video to 'dislike' him more. This is simply a twisted and quite frankly, petty and childish process to somehow vindicate a bunch of very small minded people.
So that's why I think paying 200k, or whatever sum of money to a bunch of lowly thugs that will use those resources to further crime is poor judgment by most of those individuals.

I'd be curious to see who the donors are.

My one concern is that each of these donors are complicit in contributing to a criminal organization/drug dealer, for political change? Bit of an ethical dilemma.

I don't really see how the video will change anything.

In my opinion, the entire fundraising scheme is nothing but mean spirited vengeance by an angry and irrational mob coupled with monolithic opportunism by Gwaker media. Transacting with a purported drug dealer, to the tune of $200,000 not only smacks of legitimizing a purported criminal but is the height of hypocracy. Not to mention awful karma for the people of Toronto. I acknowledge readily that the karmic train is being navigated by the mayor's bad judgment but by indulging the purported criminals in their illicit activities the people are worsening his actions, not erasing them.

I would be more than satisfied with a truthful admission by the mayor followed by a brief leave of absence as I suspec would the general population.

Let's parse this for a second. This person is selling something that is his. He's not selling nor are we buying drugs. If you were selling me a picnic table that you built on your spare time, would it matter to me if you were a janitor, a teacher, a politician or a drug dealer? If you've ever eaten fast food or tipped the pizza guy or bought a sports ticket from a scalper or a drink from a bartender, sorry to break it to you but you've most likely purchased something from a drug dealer.

The guy is selling us something that we want. He's not selling us anything illegal. From an aiding crime perspective, would you rather we have a Mayor who has put himself in a position to be manipulated by a criminal drug ring? What if they decided to blackmail the Mayor instead of selling the video to the media? How do we know there aren't more videos that are being used to control the Mayor? You'd have the man in the big chair operating under the influence of criminals. Who controls the Police budget? That's right.

This serves the greater good. Let's get that video.

Last edited:
Well, I think most of us have already accepted it as a fact, and the anti-ford crowd doesn't really need the video to 'dislike' him more. This is simply a twisted and quite frankly, petty and childish process to somehow vindicate a bunch of very small minded people.
So that's why I think paying 200k, or whatever sum of money to a bunch of lowly thugs that will use those resources to further crime is poor judgment by most of those individuals.

Listening to talk radio, it's quite clear that there are a lot of people out there in Ford Nation who don't believe any of it and see this whole thing as a media smear job. For the sake of at least healing some of the divisions in this city, the real truth needs to come out. That won't happen without the cold, hard facts.

Once the video comes out, we'll finally be able to move beyond this now exhausted discussion of journalistic integrity and fundraising ethics and start really focusing on the very troubling possibility that our mayor is associating with drug dealers and gang members.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back