520     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 492     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.7K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that The Star might need to buy the video if it doesn't come out through other means. They were taking the information observed in the video and its attempted sale and then doing old fashioned investigative reporting to get other sources to give out free information. But it's clear that anything short of the video going public will result in The Star's credibility taking a big hit and Ford solidifying his support amongst those who believe that The Star is just out to get him.

I don't think that The Star's credibility will take a hit at all. No one outside Ford Nation thinks this is a frame. But it's incumbent upon the news organizations to keep badgering Ford until he issues an explicit denial. They cannot let him wriggle free on this one, and that includes the Sun.

(Keep in mind that it has been alleged that this dealer also supplies other well-known and powerful people in the city.)
I think these other people probably acquire their drugs from a more sophisticated supplier than the Gangsta crowd described here. Can't imagine a shifty looking dude wearing a bandanna and bling with his pants falling down trying to convince the concierge that he has a delivery for Mr. Bigshot in the penthouse.

Both Jimmy Kimmel and Bill Maher made a crack at Rob Ford in their monologues last night :D

$50,295

Slightly over 25% of the way to the target, in just one day.

This is definitely promising, but there is a loooooong way to go when you consider that the beginning of these things is when you get the most interest/funds. Given that every major news outlet around the world seems to have published the story - and many have mentioned (and linked to) this campaign, it doesn't give me a lot of hope :(

I have a problem with donating money to a drug dealer just to get at an unpopular figure - but I guess that most people here do not.

I think the next thing might be to have a collection for someone who wants to "take care" of some charged murderer or rapist who got off on a technicality.

This is definitely promising, but there is a loooooong way to go when you consider that the beginning of these things is when you get the most interest/funds. Given that every major news outlet around the world seems to have published the story - and many have mentioned (and linked to) this campaign, it doesn't give me a lot of hope :(

The pace of donations is actually picking up. The fundraiser is going viral and Ford's drug news is more widespread amongst the mainstream today than yesterday. The campaign is on track to hitting $100K today and then it's just a matter of it gaining $10K a day which is achievable if this stays in the news. The longer Ford stays silent on it, the longer reporters and Torontonians demand answers. I was skeptical but I think it'll hit the goal.

I have a problem with donating money to a drug dealer just to get at an unpopular figure - but I guess that most people here do not.

I think the next thing might be to have a collection for someone who wants to "take care" of some charged murderer or rapist who got off on a technicality.

The notable difference being that the latter is incredibly illegal whereas the former is not. In the latter case the money is being collected for the purpose of actively committing a crime, whereas in the latter case the money is being collected to be given to a criminal, and it does not necessarily follow that the criminal will use the money to commit further crimes. Your ultimate point seems to be that the ends do not justify the means.

The notable difference being that the latter is incredibly illegal whereas the former is not. In the latter case the money is being collected for the purpose of actively committing a crime, whereas in the latter case the money is being collected to be given to a criminal, and it does not necessarily follow that the criminal will use the money to commit further crimes. Your ultimate point seems to be that the ends do not justify the means.

What would a criminal do with $200k. Use it for a down payment on a house or condo so they can turn their lives around, or perhaps use it to eliminate competition, buy more drugs from suppliers, or similar activities. Maybe legally you cannot be held liable for a donation being responsible for a crime, but morally, It appears obvious that you are financing crime and complicit in criminal activity of all degrees.

What would a criminal do with $200k. Use it for a down payment on a house or condo so they can turn their lives around, or perhaps use it to eliminate competition, buy more drugs from suppliers, or similar activities. Maybe legally you cannot be held liable for a donation being responsible for a crime, but morally, It appears obvious that you are financing crime and complicit in criminal activity of all degrees.

The amount raised is climbing very, very fast. Like, a little bit higher every time I refresh the page. The fact that this is the top item on Gawker certainly helps; if they can't send something viral, who can? I just hope the owners of the tape are as good as their word. I mean, if you can't trust a drug dealer, who can you count on these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back