458     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 468     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's going to hit $40,000 any minute now. Flipping channels during the news, the Gawker IndieGoGo fundraiser was mentioned on 3 at least channels. It's also been linked to from several national and international news sites. $12 per minute sounds doable at the current rate but this momentum won't hold for 10 days. This campaign needs big backers in the $5-$10K range. I think we can all think of a handful of prominent big pocketed influencers who would love to see Ford out. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Conservatives anonymously putting money on this to get Ford out of the picture before 2014 where they can run a more effective right winger.

Based on what you've been told, what do you think the likelihood is that the video will surface on its own sooner than later...meaning, not relying on Gawker's fundraising?

And how involved is the ongoing TPS investigation?

I'm obviously craving info!

Based on what you've been told, what do you think the likelihood is that the video will surface on its own sooner than later...meaning, not relying on Gawker's fundraising?

And how involved is the ongoing TPS investigation?

I'm obviously craving info!

The short answer: I don't know. My main source is one in Rob Ford's circle. They don't know what the police knows but have good reasons to believe that the special police department that investigates public officials are aware of the video and who is selling it. That information would not be hard for the police to obtain if the seller contacted say the CBC who then would have reported it to the police.

As for the likelihood that the video will be released: likely. The video has been shown to quite a few people so the seller is known to many. He has to sell it fast before somebody takes it from him. If he doesn't want to sell it for under $200K, I'm sure there's some backstabbing friend who would be happy with a few thousand bucks. Think of it like this: the guy is holding on to a big bunch of cash. He's not going to burn it and those around him are waiting for an opportunity to take it from him. He needs to act fast. If there's indication that Gawker is going to obtain the $200K, then I'm sure this guy will cross the border with the iPhone and wait out the 10 days in a hotel. If not, he'll probably consider lower offers. Hopefully the other offers aren't from Ford's camp.

Keep the money flowing!

The donations have hit the $40,000 mark!
Donated.

I'm proud that I'll be able to tell my grandchildren that I helped oust Toronto's tyrannical leader.

daddy.jpg

One thing that has really pissed me off about the media's reporting of the story is that they've completely misrepresented how it broke.

Almost every story I've seen has made it seem like this is just another allegation by the TO Star. Failing to mention that Gawker is the one who originally broke the story and both news sources individually came up with the same conclusions about the video.

The short answer: I don't know. My main source is one in Rob Ford's circle. They don't know what the police knows but have good reasons to believe that the special police department that investigates public officials are aware of the video and who is selling it. That information would not be hard for the police to obtain if the seller contacted say the CBC who then would have reported it to the police.

As for the likelihood that the video will be released: likely. The video has been shown to quite a few people so the seller is known to many. He has to sell it fast before somebody takes it from him. If he doesn't want to sell it for under $200K, I'm sure there's some backstabbing friend who would be happy with a few thousand bucks. Think of it like this: the guy is holding on to a big bunch of cash. He's not going to burn it and those around him are waiting for an opportunity to take it from him. He needs to act fast. If there's indication that Gawker is going to obtain the $200K, then I'm sure this guy will cross the border with the iPhone and wait out the 10 days in a hotel. If not, he'll probably consider lower offers. Hopefully the other offers aren't from Ford's camp.

I hope that whoever made the video was smart enough to have multiple copies stored in multiple online locations out-of-reach from the police. I am sure that police know his identity and it would not surprise me if they would attempt to seize the phone. If that happens and there are no other copies than you can be sure that the video will never see the light of day. Bill Blair will make sure of it! They will claim that it cannot be shown because it would be a violation of privacy.

I really hope that one of the big media companies act soon and pony up the money. It seems to me that they could make money off the video in the long run because they would own the rights to it. As I mentioned before - for the Toronto Star owning this video would be cheap insurance against the threat of an expensive lawsuit.

The one point above that I would disagree on is the assertion that the CBC would go to the police with the identity of the video owner if they had been contacted. That would be a complete violation of journalistic ethics concerning protecting sources.

Keep the money flowing!

The donations have hit the $40,000 mark!

I have some doubts it will be able to reach the $200,000 mark without some major outreach throughout the social sphere and the city I think it'll likely stall around the $100,000 mark or less.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

Appreciate the info, as always.

I think we'll get over $100,000 but I doubt we'll reach $200,000

For now they're still on pace to make it, but it's still fresh in people's minds. Then again, the closer they get to their target, the more people are likely to donate. It's too bad that if they don't reach $200,000 in time they can't use any of it. I have a feeling that if they only got up to $100,000 the price would come down to match it.

Didn't only 25 percent of BC come out to vote on Tuesday? Of course. The GTA puts people like Linda Jackson and Rob Ford, I would quit it too.
Just a bit off. It was 52%.

Toronto's voter turnout in 2010 was 53%.

One thing that has really pissed me off about the media's reporting of the story is that they've completely misrepresented how it broke.

Almost every story I've seen has made it seem like this is just another allegation by the TO Star. Failing to mention that Gawker is the one who originally broke the story and both news sources individually came up with the same conclusions about the video.
The Star essentially broke it wide in this market. Most people here don't know or care much about Gawker.

Anyone donating money is an absolute stooge IMO, but that aside this story will die with no video (assuming it exists). If there are not enough stooges around to reach $200,000 drug-dealer heaven, the Star will be left with little choice but to buy it. The Star's credibility is on the line as much as it is for (allegedly) Crackhead Rob, not to be confused with the somewhat famous Crackhead Bob.

I agree that The Star might need to buy the video if it doesn't come out through other means. They were taking the information observed in the video and its attempted sale and then doing old fashioned investigative reporting to get other sources to give out free information. But it's clear that anything short of the video going public will result in The Star's credibility taking a big hit and Ford solidifying his support amongst those who believe that The Star is just out to get him.

EDIT: It's 3AM and the number continues to creep up by the minute. At $45K now... Maybe they will make the goal after all. The first 48H in a news story are where the momentum is. If this can get passed $100K by the end of tomorrow, I think that the rest will be achievable in the remaining 9 days specially with a last minute "we're almost there" jump in interest.

Last edited:
Here's video of Rob Ford denying the allegations. Come to your own conclusions about his truthfulness.

Throughout this discussion (I've read every post) and in most media reports "Rob Ford denies allegations" keeps being used. He has not denied anything, amidst his usual incoherent ramblings he has only stated that the story (the "allegation") is "ridiculous" and that it's about the Toronto Star out to get him. He has not denied anything. Why has he not made a firm statement denying what allegedly appears in the video in light of these very serious allegations? Is he confident that he can make the video go away? Has he been advised by his lawyer with the Hotmail account not to make an inaccurate public statement leaving a door open for himself to wiggle out of this should the video hit the media or Internet? Whatever the case I think we are going to know the true answer much sooner than later.

No I actually researched all of them becasue I really didn't want to vote Ford. Sarah Thompson was becoming appealing, but then she quit. Smitherman and Pants were not even an option for me and Rossi dropped out as well after prominsing everything - didn't he want to extend the Allen expressway.

I knew Ford would be a Chris Farley-esque Mayor, but it was the best option from a pitiful slate of candidates.

As for Gravy, no I didn't beleive it (yes there would be some, but not as much as he thought)

Junior, I've had a number of friends say the same thing, or close to it. Fine. But the number of Ford voters who still defend him, because supposedly the world is out to get him, is what makes me shake my head. Man up, Ford Nation, and admit the mistake, and let's get rid of the mistake and move on to an election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back