571     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 564     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, the brothers have taken to their popular radio talk show The City with Mayor Rob Ford to address their critics. But the Fords will not host the show this Sunday as previously planned.

The station also said they could not comment on the long-term future of the program or provide any further details. A report on their website says the show is expected to carry on as usual next week.

That cannot be a good sign for the Ford brothers.

CFRB had better be planning for a new show to fill the spot. Their political careers may be coming to an end.

Paywall. Search the article title on Google to get past.

Toronto city councillor Doug Ford has broken his silence on the drug-use allegations against his brother, Mayor Rob Ford. His response came more than 36 hours after reports of a video that’s alleged to show Rob smoking a glass pipe containing what appears to be crack cocaine.
In the past, the Etobicoke councillor has been one of his brother’s most vocal and swift defenders, but until Saturday he had not been seen nor spoken publicly since the allegations broke Thursday night. Radio station Newstalk 1010 is now reporting that Doug told them: “I have never seen my brother involved with anything like coke.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug didn't exactly put up a vigorous defense, did he? He didn't deny Rob's alleged cocaine use, just said he hadn't seen him involved with "anything like coke". Very un-Doug like.

Clearly, there needs to be proof one way or another here. But I'd like to explore a counterfactual: how would the Fords react if identical evidence emerged of a senior politician or public official they don't like engaging in the same behavior? Would they be eager to extend that person the benefit of the doubt? Given the zeal with which the brothers have attacked fellow politicians and public servants for even the slightest errors, real or imagined, in the past, it's pretty rich for them to demand we all take their word for it that this isn't a problem (and so far we don't even have that).

Radio station Newstalk 1010 is now reporting that Doug told them: “I have never seen my brother involved with anything like coke.â€
More non-denial denial political-speak. Without a verifiable video, this standoff will go on until the story fizzles out.

I wouldn't post entire articles like that on the site. Posting a clip of it I think is fine, but because it's specifically behind a paywall, UT can probably get in trouble for hosting an article that is now free for anyone to access, that isn't supposed to be.
I hate paywalls, so I'm not complaining, but just looking out for UT.

Radio station Newstalk 1010 is now reporting that Doug told them: “I have never seen my brother involved with anything like coke.”

Woe, that's a non-denial if I ever heard one. Taken literally, that could simply mean that Bob and Doug were always in different rooms in the crack-house.

BurlOak;

I have a problem with donating money to a drug dealer just to get at an unpopular figure - but I guess that most people here do not.

I think the next thing might be to have a collection for someone who wants to "take care" of some charged murderer or rapist who got off on a technicality.

I have issues with paying a drug dealer for the video - I have an even bigger problem with a mayor a) being an addict and b) paying a drug dealer to get his fix, and I am quite willing to pay to ascertain the truthfulness of this lingering issue. Think of it as the lesser of the two evils. Quite frankly if said unpopular figure has any degree of personal ethics, he would have resigned or apologized over his multiple ethical transgressions.

AoD

I wouldn't post entire articles like that on the site. Posting a clip of it I think is fine, but because it's specifically behind a paywall, UT can probably get in trouble for hosting an article that is now free for anyone to access, that isn't supposed to be.
I hate paywalls, so I'm not complaining, but just looking out for UT.

its ok, mom, i wouldn't worry about it.
i'm not a Globe subscriber and i was able to access it.
as can anyone else who searches for it via "the google"

Clearly, there needs to be proof one way or another here. But I'd like to explore a counterfactual: how would the Fords react if identical evidence emerged of a senior politician or public official they don't like engaging in the same behavior? Would they be eager to extend that person the benefit of the doubt? Given the zeal with which the brothers have attacked fellow politicians and public servants for even the slightest errors, real or imagined, in the past, it's pretty rich for them to demand we all take their word for it that this isn't a problem (and so far we don't even have that).

Well, earlier in this post-Gawker jag for this thread, the Layton/Chow co-op "scandal" was raised--though it's curious that an even juicier and more analogous Layton "scandal" wasn't raised: this one.

But funny how, uh, limited and token this Doug Ford silence-break is. It's like he's calling from a bunker he's holed up in.

Yet, y'know...when all is said and done, I still want to allow for the possibility of this being all an eagle-boy hoax--but then again, my "allow for possibility" reflex swings both ways, given how I was already invoking Marion Barry viz Ford back in 2010.

Interesting, indeed: potentially, Canada's first true international-scale tabloid political scandal. (Well, maybe not the *absolute* first; but the last-best-equivalent case I can think of--Colin Thatcher--happened before such international-scale tabloidism was par for the course.)

At this point, unless we're facing an eagle-boy circumstance, there's absolutely no sane way Council's right-of-centre power-brokers will coalesce around Ford in '14--that is, if Ford's in a position to run again. (However, w/a more palatable standard-bearer, I can *still* foresee said power-brokers winning the next election, strangely enough.)

its ok, mom, i wouldn't worry about it.
i'm not a Globe subscriber and i was able to access it.
as can anyone else who searches for it via "the google"
I'm quite sure posting entire copywritten articles is also against the forum rules, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back