432     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 454     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the Star and Gawker media blitz, has anyone heard them say that they're concerned that the Ford's will buy it? That would be my number one concern, but as far as I can see, Gawker and TO Star aren't too worried about that. Perhaps they know that the owner won't sell it to Ford and his allies?

Rob Ford has a dilemma: if he buys the video, he goes to jail for blackmailing;

You've got that backwards. If Ford buys the video, he's not blackmailing anybody. The seller would be the blackmailer as the one threatening to release the video unless Ford pays up. That's why Ford will probably never be able to buy the video directly -- the seller would fear being set up for a blackmail sting. However, somebody with deep pockets and an interest in putting this to rest could do so without fear of doing anything illegal.

Nonetheless, from what I've been told, the police are well aware of this video, the identity of the person shopping it and Ford's crack suppliers. The video could be subpoenaed if the police decide to act on this evidence.

You've got that backwards. If Ford buys the video, he's not blackmailing anybody. The seller would be the blackmailer as the one threatening to release the video unless Ford pays up. That's why Ford will probably never be able to buy the video directly -- the seller would fear being set up for a blackmail sting. However, somebody with deep pockets with an interest in putting this to rest could do so without fear of doing anything illegal.

Nonetheless, from what I've been told, the police are well aware of this video, the identity of the person shopping it and Ford's crack suppliers. The video could be subpoenaed if the police decide to act on this evidence.

I got it mixed up. Thank you for clarifying. The whole case is very interesting though.

Right now talking to a lot of of regular folks, they are not buying this unless the video is released. They tell me that all of this is the doing of Ford's "enemies".

You've got that backwards. If Ford buys the video, he's not blackmailing anybody. The seller would be the blackmailer as the one threatening to release the video unless Ford pays up. That's why Ford will probably never be able to buy the video directly -- the seller would fear being set up for a blackmail sting. However, somebody with deep pockets and an interest in putting this to rest could do so without fear of doing anything illegal.

Exactly what I was trying to say

Right now talking to a lot of of regular folks, they are not buying this unless the video is released. They tell me that all of this is the doing of Ford's "enemies".

Yup. We need the video. I'm getting tired of people saying this is some kind of well executed, international conspiracy by the Star. It will come out soon enough.

When the average Joe hears "Star claims to have video of Ford smoking crack", they will automatically assume it's a fabrication due to the stars other claims. Of course, anyone who knows the details of this case would be certain of the existence of the video. Thats part of the reason that even pro Ford media outlets (like CFRB) are being very carful not to say this is a fabrication.

Rob Ford has a dilemma: if he buys the video, he goes to jail for blackmailing; if [insert media outlet] buys the video and have the world see him taking crack, he also goes to jail.

No matter what, Rob Ford goes to jail, unless he does something miraculous, which he had done many times.

If Rob Ford buy's the video he is not guilty of blackmailing.....he may be the victim of blackmail though

A little bit of info but important: The video only shows Rob Ford. Nobody else is visible, but you can hear other people talking. This explains why the person filming it isn't afraid of getting anybody including himself into legal trouble. Ford is the only subject visible smoking crack cocaine. This alleviates some of the concerns about the video disappearing.

The gawker guy was on CBC tonight and basically said the Star was lying when they said they did not buy the video because they don't pay for news. He said that a prerequisite for getting in the car to see the video was showing a strong interest in buying the video.....it would be his position that the Star didn't buy it for the same reason he didn't.....ie they thought it was too much to pay.

Here's video of Rob Ford denying the allegations. Come to your own conclusions about his truthfulness.

[video=youtube;7B0vrfj2Fps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B0vrfj2Fps[/video]

Here's video of Rob Ford denying the allegations. Come to your own conclusions about his truthfulness.

From this video, it occurred to me that Ford repeatedly claiming that The Toronto Star is making up these and other allegations is ironically slanderous towards the paper. They could sue him for knowingly issuing statements that can harm their reputation and cause loss of future revenue. If The Star sues Ford, they could force out evidence.

The campaign is likely going to hit $40,000 tonight. Several media outlets are reporting on the campaign and posting links.

However, at an average of $16 per person (removing the $15,000 Gawker put in), the campaign needs 12,500 backers to reach the goal. It's a steep hill to climb with about 1,400 backers as of now. That may change if this stays strong in the news over the weekend or if big backers change the formula. Otherwise the momentum won't be there as much as it looks like right now the campaign is going well. On the other hand, I've noticed with crowd funding that if a campaign reaches near its goal, that a second burst of momentum happens at the end to find donations to top up the goal.

We'll see how it goes over the weekend but I'm starting to think that it's actually more likely that the video will be leaked out by acquaintances of the seller.

Last edited:

At this point I would think the police would put him witness protection, regardless. If you are a member of a crime ring which distributes crack to the city's elite, it probably isn't the best idea to film your clients and then shop around for a buyer. This guy had better be working on his will, because I have a sinking feeling that he may become Toronto's next homicide victim...

EDIT: Then again, considering this is one of the most despicable and incompetent police forces in the country, wouldn't be surprised if they are profiting on this as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back