32     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 941     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.torontolife.com/informer...ainst-rob-ford-and-suffered-the-consequences/

I thought the racist graffiti on the signs was pretty bad, but this taking down and putting back up of signs a step down from that. One drunk person with a permanent marker can deface a newsworthy number of signs, but this much effort is the work of more than one person, with some form of organization required. It’s one thing to defeat a low-income candidate. It’s another to try to bankrupt them altogether.

In spite of my Downtown handle, I've lived in Parkdale for the last 20 years, and for two elections in a row I've seen Ford signs miraculously appear mere days before E-day. We're generally Ford-free down here, but all it takes is one weekend for the Ford signs and decals to appear, quite literally overnight.

My suspicions was confirmed for me this past Family Day weekend when those damned Flag Day signs started appearing in the very same derelict locations all around my neighbourhood.

Based on all that I have no doubt that Deco has an experienced sign-planting crew and that that crew knows exactly what they can more or less get away with.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the coke and the meth.

Ya mon, can hardly wait for his Etobicoke Patois to come ringing out after a few over-proof rum punches. It might invite punches of another kind.

Sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen. If he were still mayor, imagine all the paps hiding in the bushes at the beach (!) :)

Bumbling clot.

Signs are okay when restricted to the front of private residences. I wasn't in the city last election so don't know if the practice has remained the same but in past elections forests of signs seemed to gather on boulevards near intersections, or at the edges of unmaintained lands. Maybe this happened more in the inner suburbs, like Scarborough where I was living. Always seemed good reason not to vote for someone if they engaged in such practices, especially in municipal elections, because it showed lack of concern for the general cleanliness of the city. However, everyone seemed to do it.

Worth considering in this light was the most chaotic race of them all, the one to replace Stintz in Ward 16--the biggest "boulevard spam" culprits tended to be perennial no-hopers like Michael Coll and Charm Darby; however, the victor, Christin Carmichael Greb, was almost totally front-lawn. (And in that mess of a race, the endorsement of Tory and Stintz was probably worth a thousand signs.)

They have their use. If you were in an area with a ton of Rofo placards, a ton of Tory placards and a handful of Chow placards, and you vehemently wished to see the back of Ford, you'd know that a Tory vote would be the way to go in your ward.
I'm not sure I follow... you don't vote for mayor by ridings like you do in federal/provincial elections. It doesn't matter how many people in your area vote for a mayoral candidate; only the total number of votes across the city matter. Only the councillor races are by area.

It's the visual manifestation of democracy in action, and it makes the land richer. That is, it's a "personal entertainment" worth sharing--and it renders us more "engaged" on a macro-level. I mean, without signs, how would you know what's happening elsewhere besides your own immediate turf? Or, do you even *care*?

Elections with signs are mass spectacle, an aesthetic event--it draws us into the magical "electionness" of elections. Otherwise, to factor out signs is to reduce it all to dry electoral philistinism.

Come to think of it, given how I speak of election-time "road tripping", there may be a corollary btw/condemning election signs as *wasteful* and condemning road tripping as "wasteful"; y'know, gas et al.

Oh, and I'm probably *a lot more* engaged to electoral stats, poll-by-poll figures, trends, potential et al than you are. And I wouldn't have come about it if it weren't for a lifetime of election signage in my face...

I actually have no doubt that you are both more engaged and better informed than I am. It's just a pity that you can't participate in a discussion without launching personal attacks.

Ford's now auctioning off the giant beer mug commemorating the 100th Grey Cup game seen frequently with Rob during council meetings full of ice, "water" and a straw.

"Once again, this is the original piece, not a reproduction - there is only one of these in existence." Seriously?:confused:

No mention if 10% (currently ~ $0.66) would be going to charity...:p

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rob-Ford-Memorabilia-100th-Grey-Cup-Mug-/221693602429

OMG. This is so embarrassing.
smilies_facepalm.png

and the map is over $1,000.
smilies_facepalm.png
what is wrong with people?

Of common sense.

Rob was on with Worms last night and said in regards to Tory's Ottawa trip that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he's "running around like a dog off its leash". This is particularly ironic coming from the guy who didn't know squat about the job and spent his days peeing in a park with his drug-dealing pal. I guess if anyone knows about a dog off its leash it's the guy who peed in a park. The early morning conversation on NT1010 wasn't very positive to Rob and both points above came into the conversation. Tory is scheduled to be on with John Moore and I'm sure they'll try to elicit a response.

Does he say anything about coming back?

Y'know, I'd actually be okay with him staying there (sorry, Jamaica). He could live out his days in a kind of hoser Jimmy Buffett reverie, occasionally phoning in to Warmington's radio show ... as long as he still has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back