604     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 397     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great piece from John Lorinc:

"Should Doug Ford prove he’s donated four years of salary to charity?"

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/10/06/lorinc-doug-ford-prove-hes-donated-four-years-salary-charity/

The whole premise is bad. Saying you will donate your salary implies that the job has no value. It makes it harder to hold someone to account when they think they are working for free, and it forces politics into the realm of a hobby vs a real job. On the other hand, Doug is a lying sack of shit so he should still be held accountable.

The whole premise is bad. Saying you will donate your salary implies that the job has no value. It makes it harder to hold someone to account when they think they are working for free, and it forces politics into the realm of a hobby vs a real job. On the other hand, Doug is a lying sack of shit so he should still be held accountable.

Would it be a great debate moment if someone challenged Dougie on the spot to offer proof that he donates his salary? Get him to reveal on the spot which charities the money has gone to.

It can backfire easily - I agree with animatronic - at issue isn't whether he donated, but why we should entertain donation of one's salary as some holier than thou act and a legitimate point in a mayoralty. Personal acts of largesse cannot distract from damaging public policies (i.e. I care for the disadvantaged because of donated money to x - but I cut city funding to said x).

And re: Jewish accountant - a Jewish ex-VP Sales and Marketing too, perhaps (bolded for emphasis)?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...amily-firm-dealings/article18981567/?page=all

AoD

Last edited:
betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 32s33 seconds ago
Still waiting for Doug Ford at Main GO station. He plans to show reporters the distance between here and the Subway

He was supposed to show at 9:30.

betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 7s7 seconds ago
Ford just wheeled his SUV into the parking lot

Fashionably late.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 10.01.32 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 10.01.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 10.01.32 AM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 650
You go, Danforth Station Guy! (first Twitter comment is that the guy is bullying Doug, because you know, poor wittle Dougie ...)

No council candidates have struck me as particularly inspiring aside from Domise.

Hey, Jimmy, have you watched the Rogers Ward debate....It just solidifies my opinion Akubar, Domise and LaRocque should have sat down and had a meeting of the minds some months ago to parchute two of three into other Central Etobicoke Wards...All they are going to be doing now is splitting the antiFord vote in Ward 2 allowing a return of R Ford...It is really too bad given the competition in Wards 3 and 4 any of the three would have a better than even chance of election in all three wards...

There's two parts to politics. Inside baseball and out.
If you read this forum, you're inside politics; "negative" campaigning to those inside politics isn't necessarily negative - its reality. However, if you're outside baseball and you're just a random observer, "negative" campaigning can often hurt the candidate who goes negative because it makes him or her look "un-statesman like". If you're inside baseball, Ari or Shirtlesss Jogger, are your hero's, if you're outside baseball they come off looking like lunatics.
I know why Tory and Chow's people are thinking that way, but they're wrong. Remember the reception Ford got at the parade? I think most decent people in this city would LOVE for the Fords to be called out for their crap.

I know why Tory and Chow's people are thinking that way, but they're wrong. Remember the reception Ford got at the parade? I think most decent people in this city would LOVE for the Fords to be called out for their crap.

Indeed. 30% will defend him no matter what, the rest can get some entertainment out of him being treated as a metaphorical piñata. I think it would be quite therapeutic for a city held hostage by those two.

AoD

Goldkind isn't going to win, so he doesn't have much to lose.

He wants us to sacrifice our weekly pumpkin spice lattes! Oh, the humanity!

View attachment 35081

MINO and Mrs. Rob Ford were ( apparently ) seated in the front row. They must have been furious. I doubt there were any selfies last night.

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 6s7 seconds ago
Doug Ford defending his comments at last night's debate. Says he wasn't able to finish before he was cut off. #topoli

Doubling down as expected!

betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 2m2 minutes ago
Ford is defending comments at last night's debate, says he'a outraged by John Tory's characterization
Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 2m2 minutes ago
Doug Ford is asked about listing off all the Jewish people he knows at last night's debate. "My wife is Jewish!" he adds to the list.
betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy 9s9 seconds ago
Ford says his wife Karla is Jewish and she was deeply offended by Tory

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back