100     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 662     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 400     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed every time Ari calls out Doug on his BS it is very well received by the "audience". Why the hell haven't Tory and Chow picked up on this? Afraid of alienating a few voters? Too nice? The pair of them make me sick. Absolutely useless, both of them.

True. This stuff is casual racism. But what if there was a more deliberate candidate who campaigned on policies based on race? Would we just smile and nod and hope for the best? Disturbing...

You think Goldkind is affiliated with Tory somehow? He's like his attack dog to frustrate Dougie (though he throws the odd jab at Tory--maybe just to keep up appearances?).

As a matter of fact, yes...from the snippets of the couple of debates I've heard with Goldkind involved. There is usually an aside or a throwaway short comment...eg paraphasing "John Tory's too kind to degenerate the the debate I'm not" (last Thursday) and there was another throwaway last night however I'm unsure of how to paraphase it...

Last edited:
I can see the worst possibility happening of Rob and Doug getting tsk-tsked, some extra tight pearl clutching, and maybe a slapity slap on the wrist.

Catching up, so apologies if this has been covered: Removal from office (declaring the office vacant) is mandatory if the court finds that there was a violation of the Act. Judge has no choice. Judge has discretion under the Act on whether to ban from running: not at all or for anywhere between 1 day and 7 years.

I recall Kinsella once answered that, saying candidates' internal polls indicated that kind of approach wouldn't fly with voters--they'd be viewed as being too negative.

Having spent waaay too many evenings behind the glass at focus groups, I'd make this observation/caveat: People in them tend to say what they think you want to hear, or just want to be all 'Alpha Dog' and be contrarian. Either way, marketers use the results for all-purpose ass-kevlar, so they can say"Science says!" As an example of how they get it wrong, the Absolut Vodka campaign (Absolut _______) died an eviscerating death in research. But the client said, 'screw it, let's do it'. It ran for almost two decades. So much for focus groups there.

Political focus grouping is largely about determining message track. Generally, it would happen prior to the writ being dropped. It's really, really hard to focus group a change in message in the middle of a campaign (That said, Kinsella's forte has largely been rapid-response as conditions change). Hence, Olivia sticking to this seemingly non-sequitur nonsense about strollers and buses and whatnot. They appear to have no Plan B and are sticking to the focus-grouped nicey-nice they gathered months ago. People would have legitimately expressed approval of high-ground, positive messaging back then. So the campaign goes with it. Meanwhile 3-4 weeks before the election, the dynamic changes, the unexpected happens, and reality roils all around them. Any responsive messaging would likely be un-tested and they may be hesitant to take a flyer.

At least, that's what personal experience suggests. YMMV.

Seeing as how Doug likes to make stuff up in a fit of rage, I wonder if his wife is now rushing to convert to Judaism to cover for her hubby due to today's comments!

Weird, why's he pissed at Tory but not Goldkind?

Because of Tory press release today. Doug says his wife is Jewish and she is angry at Tory; says he was not allowed "to finish" - presumably meaning he was not allowed to somehow (in his own mind, I guess) dilute the offensive stereotyping by ending with saying that his wife is Jewish.

P0Etqh8JkxMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Shawn_Jeffords
Ford slams release issued by Tory camp criticizing him for comments. Ford says no one was more upset than his wife, who is Jewish. #topoli
14-10-06 10:21 AM

Last edited:
You think Goldkind is affiliated with Tory somehow? He's like his attack dog to frustrate Dougie (though he throws the odd jab at Tory--maybe just to keep up appearances?).

Its not a crazy concept but I think not. Goldkind's platform reads like Chow on transit, John Sewell on police budgets, his political hero is Clinton. He claims no partisan leanings but he seems left of Tory on almost everything. I hope he runs again in future.

Because of Tory press release today. Doug says his wife is Jewish and she is angry at Tory; says he was not allowed "to finish" - presumably meaning he was not allowed to somehow (in his own mind, I guess) dilute the offensive stereotyping but ending with saying that his wife is Jewish.

I wonder what Mr. Rudner would have to say about her "anger".

AoD

Seeing as how Doug likes to make stuff up in a fit of rage, I wonder if his wife is now rushing to convert to Judaism to cover for her hubby due to today's comments!

Daniel Dale has never heard this before.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 4m4 minutes ago
Don't think Doug Ford has ever publicly said his wife is Jewish. Last night, he cited Jewish professionals he knows, not her.

Hey, Jimmy, have you watched the Rogers Ward debate....It just solidifies my opinion Akubar, Domise and LaRocque should have sat down and had a meeting of the minds some months ago to parchute two of three into other Central Etobicoke Wards...All they are going to be doing now is splitting the antiFord vote in Ward 2 allowing a return of R Ford...It is really too bad given the competition in Wards 3 and 4 any of the three would have a better than even chance of election in all three wards...

Munira Abukar and Luke Larocque both told Andray in no uncertain terms that no matter what, they were in it to win it. It's a shame, because they obviously have no chance, and their support could have gone a long way towards removing Ford from the ward.

Ward 3 has an interesting dynamic. Stephen Holyday, Annette Hutcheon, Dean French, John Moskalyk and Greg Comeau all lean conservative, and then there's one progressive, Peter Fenech. There's a possibility that the right vote is split strongly enough and Fenech sneaks in. I have my doubts though - I've seen literally only one Fenech sign, and that's the one I put up on my lawn.

As for ward 4, admittedly only a little driving, but it looks like a race between John Campbell, Angelo Carnavale (the Fords' choice), and Chris Stockwell. I expected a greater sign showing for Niels Christensen, as I think he was endorsed by outgoing GLL.

(first Twitter comment is that the guy is bullying Doug, because you know, poor wittle Dougie ...)

That guy is so incredibly delusional and so steeped in the FN Kool-Aid, I'm actually not sure it's not a parody account. 'Doug did great things!!1!!1!!'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back