361     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 644     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Wrongful Dismissal" insurance rider will be straightened out for sure.

Makes you wonder what kind of debts are owed to who for this reference to come back in to the debate - not even a campaign issue.

I wondered too. But hey, Detroit and Chicago ain't that far away.

While I hope this one will actually stick. I'm amazed that the Fords have skated away for this long. Didn't the first COI Rob was actually nailed, but skated away on a technicality later on. The (first?!) crackgate scandal, even if I'm being generous and say Rob abusing drugs means he's probably got severe issues beyond just drug addictions, and sure he might need help on a human level. But it still doesn't change the fact that it makes him unfit for the job. He's still skating away on that one. Why didn't TPS stop and get a sample in that strange envelope exchange, why was Rob able to do those DUIs, how the hell did Rob get expedited background check with Blair. Knocking down a councilor while claiming it was pure accident, and there's video footage of MINO Rhino stampeding it up. I mean RoDofo is practically doing triple axles.

Hells yeah for Jude McDonald, but damn I'm really pessimistic about the wheels of justice catching up to the Fords, if I look at the past record of Rob and Thug skating away from any serious legal consequences.

And this is what is making me pessimistic. I can see the worst possibility happening of Rob and Doug getting tsk-tsked, some extra tight pearl clutching, and maybe a slapity slap on the wrist.

Let's hope thy get a judge like Nordheimer

Bonus: Apollo also participates in the wastewater treatment program that the Fords voted on. Also in the suit.

Here's the full document for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read it. Hard to see how the Fords will get off this time.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=199896 (scroll to the bottom)

Can the previous COI case be brought into the discussion in court as proof that Rob doesn't follow rules?

If you want to read more about Ford, this is excellent: http://goo.gl/lg6EPb

That article is fucking stupid. The idea that Ford had a vision of the city in his head, and that he wasn't just about maintaining control over his perceived fiefdom on a day-by-day basis, is projection beyond the capabilities of NASA's strongest laser. He doesn't care about subways. He never did. He cares about buying votes, and telling his base what he thinks they want to hear. That is it.

Lol, love this piece of revisionist history in which Ford is described as a long term thinker!

I've pulled out this lovely bit where the author conveniently forgets that Ford's transit platform involved building both the Sheppard and Scarborough subways by 2015. As in up and running in 2015. Nothing long term about that except the breadth of Ford's stupidity.

Sorry fattiger, nothing excellent about this.

Maybe they should be told that the Fords have stood against green spaces, pedestrian zones, and transit that supports the community.

Does anyone else think Doug will skip the downtown debate on Wednesday (with Ari) to be by his brother's side?

Bonus: Apollo also participates in the wastewater treatment program that the Fords voted on. Also in the suit.

Here's the full document for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read it. Hard to see how the Fords will get off this time.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=199896 (scroll to the bottom)

Thanks for posting the link. Jude has done a fabulous job of dot putting-togetherness.

View attachment 35079

Subways subways subways - ain't just sandwiches
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/doug-ford-subways-subways-and-subways/article20923821/

He knows what Chinese people like:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...dents_i_know_one_thing_they_want_subways.html
Heck, even Singapore buys Cancar/Bombardier

Subway tunnel drilling machines - reduce, reuse, recycle
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...d-of-sold-for-less-than-a-quarter-their-cost/
And we can fix them in Red Green's back garage

Why is it that stills from Idiocracy look like Mayor Ford's Toronto?

Doug can only really damage his campaign if he does something to alienate Ford Nation in its current form. His real problem is that he's boxed in - if he tries to grow beyond current Ford Nation, that growth will come at the expense of equal or worse portions of current Ford Nation. Right now, he (and Rob) appeal somewhat to fiscal conservatives, but far more to angry or scared people - angry homophobes, angry racists, angry immigrants, angry conservatives, angry Scarberians, and everyone angry at government. Those angry people feel that they finally have someone that they can support, who will put their objects of anger (LGBTQ, people of colour/religion/anyone different, Canadians holding them back, Liberal left, the rest of TO, and those damn bureaucrats) down. If Doug tries to move beyond those angry people, they will feel betrayed, and his solid block isn't so solid.
So Doug has to be the way he was this week - he has to play defence with his supporters, because any new growth is too risky.

If anything, Ari may turn out to be Doug's best hope - the smart, shiny new object that attracts people who (like me) would otherwise park with Tory as the strategic vote. Chow isn't doing it - she's not drawing votes away from Tory. Doug can't. (Have a look at IHTWOMRF and 43 Down - they're on a full-scale assault on Tory and anything at all moderate. They also sound like they know they're going down, and are doing it with their heads held high. They ain't taking no changes from Fordlandia now.) But, can Ari be Nenshi, but not good enough, in 22 days? Can Ari be the guy to move up to 20 percent, drop Tory to 27 and Chow to 23, and .....

There's a horrible thought to end Sunday night, isn't it?

But Ari is more of a creature of social media than anything else, right? Right?

A week or two ago, it was bandied around twitter that Doug said he would go to PRIDE if elected mayor. I'm not sure if this happened at a debate (actual debate or post-debate scrum), a radio/TV interview, some random scrum or if it happened at all. I don't believe a clear quote or recording emerged.

Now based on what you're saying about FN, this would result in alienating some of his base. While Doug has said he has gay friends, etc, the FordBros have both avoided any "too tolerant" language as a dog whistle nod to their base about how they really feel (plus Rob's obstinate refusal for 4 years to go to Pride based on a flimsy "family time at the cottage" excuse). Their base would not say "oh, he has to say that to get elected, so we're okay with it"; they would NOT be okay with it. So if someone at a debate could corner him into saying something like that clearly and unequivocally, some Ford supporters would see it as a betrayal; they may not have another candidate to go to, but before the Fords they were pretty happy to just stay home on election day, so they might opt to do that again.

"Nearly clipped by @TOMayorFord on my run today. He was racing to the Tim's drive-thru at Dundas/Jane"
https://twitter.com/robertlendvai/status/518822667986546689

pic

the FordMayor stickers replace by a huge rear windshield wrap.
BzM6d0zCQAEr1fU.jpg

hope that's a proper windshield wrap and not something they just hurriedly knocked off at DECO on non-perforated vinyl (not that Rob ever bothers to look out the back before changing lanes anyways.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back