160     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 922     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
CARP members are 55+ in age. I don't see them having a lot of sympathy for a crack smoking liar, no matter how conservative they may be.

Still hoping for a roast.

If Tory can pull off what he did yesterday, that is a possibility.

Really? The Canadian Association of Retired People? I would think the trust and personal issuse questions will be of greater import than of the younger crowd....Subways are going to of little interest, Wheeltrans and bussing close to the door will be...Seniors will be playing their age card again for further tax breaks, snow clearing, leaf raking and social health..None of things are in R Ford's wheelhouse unless he pulls out the "universal populist" card and in doing so will look insincere....This is a no win debate for R Ford, the fact of the matter it is the one debate this week he should have begged off on....
Look at the Forum polls and R Ford's weakness in age ranges 55+ and they are more likely to vote than the whippersnappers...
As far as Etobicoke support the Nanos poll just released has Ford and Tory pretty much in a deadheat there....

Yes, he can't use subways and TCHC as talking points as much. He does have some support left in the former Ford Nation though.

ther than that issue, what else has Ford done for/against seniors?)

"No one has done more for seniors than Rob Ford!"

Mayor Rob Ford ‏@TOMayorFord 1h
Happy #BillMurrayDay #Toronto! Be sure to check out #TIFF14 where you can watch some of @BiIIMurray's most classic films.

"Go check out the festival I voted against every time!

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa....over 55 isn't exactly ancient. Don't under estimate the senior crowd, either; my 81 year old mother, who unfortunately does not live in Toronto, has described Ford as "that embarrassing a$$hole" (and she doesn't usually swear). I think for sure there might be more focus on his lying/criminality, but I'm also guessing issues specific to the aging will come up (like voting against sprinkers in nursing homes etc - other than that issue, what else has Ford done for/against seniors?)

CARP (Moses changed the name to just "CARP", no more "Canadian Assocation of Retired Persons") membership is aimed at 45+, but it's still predominantly seniors. Many issues affecting seniors like pensions and health care are the responsibility of the higher levels of government but things like transit would be relevant, particularly for older residents in the central part of the city. I agree that his personal conduct would be an issue with an older crowd, but you never know, the myth of "he saved me money" and "he stopped the gravy train of those free-spending NDPers" may run pretty deep.

Mayor Rob Ford ‏@TOMayorFord 1h
Happy #BillMurrayDay #Toronto! Be sure to check out #TIFF14 where you can watch some of @BiIIMurray's most classic films.

Well, Bill Murray is nowhere near a joker as his worship - and sadly, that show had been running for the past four TIFFs.

AoD

Got another fundraising email from Ford yesterday:
Dear Valued Supporter:

Yesterday was an important day in Rob Ford's campaign for re-election.

Rob unveiled a bold subway expansion plan that we believe is the kind of plan a world-class city like Toronto desperately needs.
The Toronto Subway Expansion Plan is a long-term plan that Rob will implement in his next term as Mayor.
It calls for 32 kilometers of new subways connecting every corner of Toronto. Yes, it is bold, but as a rapidly growing world-class city, Toronto must build new subways to stay competitive.

Toronto Subway Expansion Plan
Toronto residents know that Rob Ford is the only candidate who is fully committed to expanding Toronto's subway system, and with your support we can make it happen.
With your support, we can make sure Rob Ford returns to City Hall and builds a subway system that will serve our great city for generations to come.

$1,500 donors (or greater) will receive a signed commemorative 'Thank You' letter from Mayor Rob Ford (limited to the first 50 donors of $1,500 or more)

$300 donor receives a signed official ‘Mayor Ford’ bobble-head and a Ford Nation t-shirt. click HERE to DONATE to make a a $300 donation (Rebate=$208.55)

$100 donor receives an official ‘Mayor Ford’ bobble-head. Please click HERE to DONATE $100 (Rebate= $64.00)

$50 donor receives a ‘Ford Nation’ t-shirt, to make a $50 click HERE to DONATE (Rebate=$32.05)

$25 donor receives a ‘Ford Nation’ flag, and a ‘FORD MAYOR’ bumper sticker. Please click HERE to DONATE $25 (Rebate=$18.00)

You can learn about Mayor Ford’s accomplishments and his vision for Toronto at our campaign website: Accomplishments | Ford for Mayor and Toronto Subway Expansion Plan.

If you would like to donate to the Rob Ford Campaign, please ensure that you provide your mailing address (printed on the cheque), or on the attached data template in the columns provided to ensure that you receive your rebate payment from the city of Toronto.

Please send a cheque to our Campaign Headquarters at the address below, or you can click HERE to make a click HERE to DONATE online.

If you have any questions, please call us at: 416.751.FORD (3673) and press "3" when prompted.

Our mailing address for cheques is:

Rob Ford Campaign
Attention: Fundraising Team
10 Belfield Road, 2nd floor
Toronto, Ontario
M9W 1G1

Thank YOU again for YOUR support!

Doug Ford
Campaign Manager

^ Donors call our campaign fundraising line at 416.751.FORD (3673) extension 3 to arrange for pick up/delivery of commemorative scroll.

*Donors can pick up their memorabilia/merchandise after making a payment via cheque or online at either of our campaign offices. Please visit our campaign website for further address details at: CONTACT US

# Rebate amounts including fair market value of merchandise are approximate, and are intended for illustrative purposes only.

** Donors of $100.00 or more will have their name and postal code released in a digital format on the city of Toronto's website after the election per the Municipal Elections Act.
[/SIZE]

Okay, so here's what I've learned. Fair market value of a Rob Ford bobblehead is $11.00 and his T-shirts are worth about $5.45. Apparently, it's okay to identify yourself as "mayor" on your limited edition camping Thank-you letter (and as someone already also wondered, will it be on City of Toronto letter head?). It also now seems to be okay to distribute Mayor Ford tchotchkes as opposed to Rob Ford tchotchkes, even though, at least as it appears on their website, they haven't been before, just the Kimmel, Tux and Limited Edition Football are shown there. I actually chuckled to myself last week when they announced the Bobblehead for Charity at Mom's House and noticed it was only the Mayor Ford bobbie that was being offered thinking, "Well, better unload them now while you're still mayor". :D

I guess that Thank-you letter is pretty valuable seeing as the $1,500.00 contributors don't seem to be getting a rebate. Either that or the math to calculate it was too hard ($741.67, I believe). I guess they left it out due to the "or more", but they could've included the calculation. BTW, $25 donors don't get a rebate, just a flag and bumper sticker that are apparently worth less than a buck.:p

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa....over 55 isn't exactly ancient. Don't under estimate the senior crowd, either; my 81 year old mother, who unfortunately does not live in Toronto, has described Ford as "that embarrassing a$$hole" (and she doesn't usually swear). I think for sure there might be more focus on his lying/criminality, but I'm also guessing issues specific to the aging will come up (like voting against sprinkers in nursing homes etc - other than that issue, what else has Ford done for/against seniors?)

I vaguely remember something about a debate sponsored by a senior's advocacy group during the 2010 campaign, and that they were not at all impressed with Ford by the end. Let's see if I can find something---ah, here it is---http://torontoist.com/2010/08/if_it_were_up_to/

Well, Bill Murray is nowhere near a joker as his worship - and sadly, that show had been running for the past four TIFFs.

AoD

That is an elitist event, so he had to vote against it.

The results are in from the food-bank poll at the Ex. Tory way out front. Chow in second. Ford, a distant third. Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I think this "poll" is more than a gag to promote donation. It speaks to supporter engagement, no?

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4823208-tory-tops-in-cne-food-donation-mayoral-poll/

Not scientific, but still accurate!

I vaguely remember something about a debate sponsored by a senior's advocacy group during the 2010 campaign, and that they were not at all impressed with Ford by the end. Let's see if I can find something---ah, here it is---http://torontoist.com/2010/08/if_it_were_up_to/

Senoirs are no different than any other demographic. Their will be some who love him, the homophobes, racist, low info people. If you look at the crowds that came for the bobblehead sales they were a mostly over 50 crowd, whether that means anything or not, who knows.

I still think he's over represented in the polls, he looks like a dead duck and the media, in spite of trying to make him look viable, have started to galvanize around Tory. It'll only be down from here on out for Ford and I hope it gets really ugly.

With thos numbers from 2010 you wonder why Ford would even bother taking in this debate.

Senoirs are no different than any other demographic. Their will be some who love him, the homophobes, racist, low info people. If you look at the crowds that came for the bobblehead sales they were a mostly over 50 crowd, whether that means anything or not, who knows.

I still think he's over represented in the polls, he looks like a dead duck and the media, in spite of trying to make him look viable, have started to galvanize around Tory. It'll only be down from here on out for Ford and I hope it gets really ugly.

I saw one couple who were of that age interviewed at the bobblehead sale who supported him. However, they actually lived way outside of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back