871     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 777     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 579     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you're calling me dim, but if so, I take great offence to that statement. At no point did I say that I thought those questions were real, I was simply mentioning that they sent out the email for the show in an email from the Mayor's office and the line that that blurs. You completely missed the point.

I don't think he was calling you dim but rather making a general statement that they're trying to fool viewers.

I don't see myself as a "lesser" person, but I do feel there are certain people better suited for something as tough and important as politics. Ford is exactly the kind of politician I would never vote for - no higher education, little real-world experience, a history of social gaffes and bad (sometimes illegal) behaviour. I think if people held their politicians to higher standards instead of this "he's just like us" garbage, we wouldn't ever get the likes of Ford. I don't value what he represents. I want to be impressed by and admire this person, not feel embarrassed.

Here's the rub: higher education does not equate to smarter or wiser deeds in office and has precisely zero bearing on moral behaviour. Some of the biggest white collar criminals in history went to the very best schools. It's also remarkably easy to commit social gaffes, regardless of one's status or the size of one's annual salary.

As for your contention that certain people are better suited for politics, the electorate might not agree with you; Ford got in fair and square, after all (I wish it were otherwise but that's not the point).

Here's the rub: higher education does not equate to smarter or wiser deeds in office and has precisely zero bearing on moral behaviour. Some of the biggest white collar criminals in history went to the very best schools. It's also remarkably easy to commit social gaffes, regardless of one's status or the size of one's annual salary.

As for your contention that certain people are better suited for politics, the electorate might not agree with you; Ford got in fair and square, after all (I wish it were otherwise but that's not the point).

Can I add that aside from not wanting taxes going up, there were a lot of people who paid almost zero attention to municipal politics. People heard "cut the gravy train", had bad memories of a garbage strike, and were peeved about the Vehicle Registration Tax. Many outside of Ford's ward had heard of him showing up for minor repairs/disputes etc. Not many looked too deeply beyond the promised savings. Those of us watching knew Ford hadn't the experience or leadership skills to manage a large city - in fact he's a divider, not a leader. On the other hand, Smitherman had a record of presiding over e-health (and the diaper stunt, as I recall).

To tell you the truth, I don't see anything implicitly racist in doing an accent impersonation.

My reply is pages behind (sorry bout that) but my interpretation of Ford's Steak Queen rasta-rant was that he had gone off to some place in his mind that he actually thought he was in character. Like he was so freaking high that he was acting out some little play in his head.

And on that note, this is not a man who needs alcohol to go where he wants to be. People often say "I didn't see him take a drink", maybe they didn't smell alcohol - but seriously, there are so many other things out there to smoke, sniff, swallow and shoot and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had tried them all. Simultaneously, based on some evidence :p

Well, of course. I mean, look at Harper and the senators. I'm not blind to the scandals. But I've not seen a politician who blunders quite as badly in all spheres as Ford in my entire life. And I think the electorate other than the diehard Ford Nation is going to take something away from all of this.

You want to know where Ford Nation comes from?

12:08:42 PM Myself: the Fords launched their YouTube 'Ford Nation' show today
12:08:59 PM Myself: one of the questions Rob 'was asked in an email' was why did he lie about his substance abuse
12:09:10 PM Myself: his answer was basically "everyone lies, i was embarrassed"
12:09:39 PM Myself: thats the mayor of tarannah folks. why didn't i tell the truth? i didn't wannaaaaa!
12:09:49 PM Friend: lol
12:10:18 PM Myself: his brother Doug, the "smart one" in the family although that's not saying much, looked composed and stayed on point
12:10:25 PM Myself: Rob was often staring at the table or the ceiling
12:10:31 PM Myself: he looks dead inside, completely soulless
12:10:42 PM Friend: he probably is
12:10:51 PM Friend: I can't believe I voted for him
12:10:53 PM Myself: watch em yourself, they're kinda funny i guess
12:10:53 PM Myself: https://www.youtube.com/user/officialfordnation/videos
12:10:56 PM Myself: YOU DID WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?
12:11:00 PM Friend: never voting the same way as my man or his family ever again
12:11:27 PM Myself: HE WAS DOING THIS CRAZY SHIT FOR 10 FUCKING YEARS AS COUNCILLOR!
12:11:51 PM Friend: I was still in university, had other things to worry about, didn't really care... [husband] and his family were gonna vote for him, I don't know anything about politics, had nver heard of him or any of the other people
12:11:57 PM Friend: so I just voted the same way
12:12:05 PM Friend: that's even more irresponsible than not voting I'd say
12:12:21 PM Friend: but I wouldn't have known had this not happened
12:12:33 PM Myself: i'm a pacifist and i'm against violence in general but i could smack you right now.
12:12:46 PM Friend: lol
12:12:47 PM Myself: such a smart woman, how did it go so wrong
12:12:59 PM Friend: I could've smacked myself a hundred times over by now

Real conversation.

From today's video. Why did you lie about your substance abuse problem?

Mr. Ford’s response: “I do not have a substance abuse problem. Did I experiment with drugs? Yes, I have. Why did I lie? I think everybody in the world has lied. Because I was embarrassed. I didn’t want to tell the truth. That’s the only answer I can give. That’s as straightforward as I can be. I’m not a drug addict, I don’t use drugs. Have I in the past? Yes. And when they ask me, it’s very very humiliating in front of the world to say yes. And everybody’s lied. Maybe people can tell me – why do you lie? People lie to cover up, because lie because they’re embarrassed. That’s why I lied.â€

Right, I didn't want to tell the truth...

So let me get this right. Ford clears up his lie about a lie? I thought the line all along was "he wasn't asked the correct question, has he ever tried crack" and now he says he lied because he was embarrassed? I wonder how much truth there is in correcting the lie about a lie. Is he still lying? I say yes. He has also said that he has smoked a "ton" of weed, which I don't have a problem with, but that's not experimenting.

I don't think he was calling you dim but rather making a general statement that they're trying to fool viewers.

Yeah, sorry if I seemed to direct that at anybody! I meant the FORDS think people are dim and I didn't think anyone here (or really anyone smart enough to use a computer) would fall for it :)

I'm sure Rob was very embarrassed when he lied to his mom as a child. It probably went down like this:

Diane: Robert, did you wet the bed again last night?
Rob: No maaa, I didn't.
Diane: Robert, you did so, I saw it with my own eyes.
Rob: Mom, this is a real hatchet job. Can't you get it through your thick skull, seriously? You're a pathological liar. You're a maggot. In fact, I'm going to take you to court. Get off your driveway!
Diane: (thinking to herself) My son is going places. One day he'll be mayor!

Last edited:
From today's video. Why did you lie about your substance abuse problem?

Mr. Ford’s response: “I do not have a substance abuse problem. Did I experiment with drugs? Yes, I have. Why did I lie? I think everybody in the world has lied. Because I was embarrassed. I didn’t want to tell the truth. That’s the only answer I can give. That’s as straightforward as I can be. I’m not a drug addict, I don’t use drugs. Have I in the past? Yes. And when they ask me, it’s very very humiliating in front of the world to say yes. And everybody’s lied. Maybe people can tell me – why do you lie? People lie to cover up, because lie because they’re embarrassed. That’s why I lied.â€

Right, I didn't want to tell the truth...

Just the newest reality show, totally scripted, and safe.

If Robbie and Dougie lie whenever they are em-bare-assed, and they are always em-bare-assed when confronted with truths, then when do they tell the truth?

It's kinda like a placard that proclaims "The truth is that this placard always lies", or in this case, we always tell the truth unless we are lying.

Anyway, it should be fun when the boom falls on the Fords. I personally thing Robbie will sequester himself in his office, and the chips will fall as they may.

Can I add that aside from not wanting taxes going up, there were a lot of people who paid almost zero attention to municipal politics. People heard "cut the gravy train", had bad memories of a garbage strike, and were peeved about the Vehicle Registration Tax. Many outside of Ford's ward had heard of him showing up for minor repairs/disputes etc. Not many looked too deeply beyond the promised savings. Those of us watching knew Ford hadn't the experience or leadership skills to manage a large city - in fact he's a divider, not a leader. On the other hand, Smitherman had a record of presiding over e-health (and the diaper stunt, as I recall).

+1 on this.

The depressing part is it seems many are still not paying attention and not trying to stay informed. This is even more irresponsible than not voting. I don't have poll numbers to back this up, but I have spoken to enough people in this category to be able to say anecdotally this is quite widespread...........and I live downtown!!

The YouTube show reminds me of Coach's Corner. Rob (Ron McLean) getting cut off by Doug (Don), shifting awkwardly, staring variously at the ceiling or the desk.

The Ford Nation banner looks like it's been tarped over the lawnmower in Doug's garage since the fall. Kind of comical that they're using a gmail address for the campaign. Pretty budget start overall.

My reply is pages behind (sorry bout that) but my interpretation of Ford's Steak Queen rasta-rant was that he had gone off to some place in his mind that he actually thought he was in character. Like he was so freaking high that he was acting out some little play in his head.

And on that note, this is not a man who needs alcohol to go where he wants to be. People often say "I didn't see him take a drink", maybe they didn't smell alcohol - but seriously, there are so many other things out there to smoke, sniff, swallow and shoot and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had tried them all. Simultaneously, based on some evidence :p

Frankly I never understood why he admitted he had been drinking for the Steak Queen rant. He's enough of a buffoon that I could easily believe he would act like that while sober (then again, is he ever "sober"?) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back