News   Jul 18, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 578     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again Ford shows his lack of respect for rules:

During the video (per tweets, I didn't watch it) there were pre-written questions. When one journalist was asked how the Fords got these questions as the video just aired today, it was said that in the Mayor's Office Friday email they included the email for the show: thus presenting this show as something being done in the official capacity of the Mayor's office. Typical Ford bull.

Seriously, the revisionism over Miller is crazy. You might not have liked Transit City or the greening of suburban towers schemes, but those Miller policies were the most tangible policies aimed at the inner suburbs since amalgamation. Even the garbage strike meme is being written by people who, emotionally, wanted to lash out at the garbage workers. The contract he signed was fine for the city. It just wasn't enough punishment for folks mad about the strike.

I think a LOT of Ford's support came from folks wanting to toss the garbage workers out on the street. Not for savings, but for revenge. He won't get that vote again.

The 2009 garbage strike ( and the death at 40 Alexander St. during the strike with the resulting $10 million lawsuit ) was just after I retired in May 2009.

As City of Toronto Paramedics, although members of Local 416, we do not have, and do not seek, the right to strike. Nor can we be locked out. Our unresolved issues instead go to binding interest arbitration.

Having said that, as I understand it, the strike was entirely about the Sick Bank. Mayor Miller inherited that. No one can remember how long there had been a Sick Bank. It had been there for many years when I hired on with the Department in 1972.

They say it was the City who suggested the Sick Bank in lieu of a pay raise one year.

In all my years of working, and a lifetime of living, in Toronto not one civilian ever complained to me about the Sick Bank. Although I certainly ran into enough of the, "I pay your salary types." :eek:

In my opinion, it was only because the media whipped the public into such a frenzy about the Sick Bank and Gratuity that Mayor Miller and Local 416 were forced into battle.

I believe the new Driver-Loaders are members of Teamsters?

Last edited:
Wow, pathetic number. Not exactly “going viral”, and proof positive Ford Nation is a myth.

On the other hand, maybe Ford Nation is largely comprised of septuagenarians who don't know about teh internets

Also, the algorithm that youtube uses to select other videos “you might like” is not their friend.

and um, comments disabled.

Last edited:
From today's video. Why did you lie about your substance abuse problem?

Mr. Ford’s response: “I do not have a substance abuse problem. Did I experiment with drugs? Yes, I have. Why did I lie? I think everybody in the world has lied. Because I was embarrassed. I didn’t want to tell the truth. That’s the only answer I can give. That’s as straightforward as I can be. I’m not a drug addict, I don’t use drugs. Have I in the past? Yes. And when they ask me, it’s very very humiliating in front of the world to say yes. And everybody’s lied. Maybe people can tell me – why do you lie? People lie to cover up, because lie because they’re embarrassed. That’s why I lied.”

Right, I didn't want to tell the truth...

Last edited:
From today's video. Why did you lie about your substance abuse problem?

Mr. Ford’s response: “I do not have a substance abuse problem. Did I experiment with drugs? Yes, I have. Why did I lie? I think everybody in the world has lied. Because I was embarrassed. I didn’t want to tell the truth. That’s the only answer I can give. That’s as straightforward as I can be. I’m not a drug addict, I don’t use drugs. Have I in the past? Yes. And when they ask me, it’s very very humiliating in front of the world to say yes. And everybody’s lied. Maybe people can tell me – why do you lie? People lie to cover up, because lie because they’re embarrassed. That’s why I lied.”

Right, I didn't want to tell the truth...

And felt the need to slander the entire profession of journalism in the process. This wasn't him just not being honest, he outright called everyone else liars and was as nasty as he could be about it. What about his lies about Daniel Dale? Was that just because he was embarrassed too? And the lying about all of the other things since then? Because he was embarrassed? Sad thing is his fans will lap this bull up. I really wish the Star would sue him for slander, especially after this admittance of why he lied on video. F him.

I don't know what the final number will be, but new YouTube videos, even the ones getting lots of hits, often freeze at a count of 276 or 301 for a while.
You really can't judge the opinions of Ford (or anyone) from view-numbers. Many people will watch these videos to get additional confirmation of the Fords' stupidity (not that we need more), some will doubtless be undying Ford supporters. Similarly; many bobble-head doll buyers bought them as a joke item and one that might (and has) become a collectable and not everyone wanting to be photographed with Ford is a fan.

The videos have a low view count at the moment because Ford Nation are hard at work and unavailable to watch. The only ones that have viewed them so far are the downtown, latte-sipping commies that aren't outside riding their bikes because there's too much snow therefore they have time to watch the videos :p

Last edited:
Not going to watch the video but his response is "everybody lies"? Really? He doesn't think that people who hold public office should hold themselves to any kind of accountability? Take the position seriously and not deflect? I don't know about anyone else but I like to think the politicians I vote for are better and smarter than me.

WIth all due respect, I think that's setting yourself up for a fall. It puts too much onus on the politicians and not enough on yourself. Quit belittling yourself - you are likely as intelligent as 98% of the politicians out there, and quite possibly more moral and upstanding. It's a potentially dangerous notion - electing someone you think is smarter than you and expecting them to represent your interests. Why elevate these people above their actual standing and capabilities? Rob Ford offers ample proof of how asinine, duplicitious and outright incompetent an elected official can be.

Seriously, the revisionism over Miller is crazy. You might not have liked Transit City or the greening of suburban towers schemes, but those Miller policies were the most tangible policies aimed at the inner suburbs since amalgamation. Even the garbage strike meme is being written by people who, emotionally, wanted to lash out at the garbage workers. The contract he signed was fine for the city. It just wasn't enough punishment for folks mad about the strike.

I understand both your points. The issue with the strike wasn't whether it was a good deal but the perception that he didn't get enough concessions given how long the strike went on.

I totally agree that TC was a far better plan for the inner burbs than whatever "plan" Ford has devised but then Miller was also not at all a fan of Metrolinx and TO being subsumed into a larger regional plan...I don't think it's a clearcut think and it's perhaps unfair to "blame" him for Ford. I wasn't trying to be revisionist, merely cite the lingering perception, no matter what the reality may be. At the same time, we'll never know what would have happened if he ran again. There was a feeling at the time he was going to get creamed and that's part of why he got out. Is it revisionist to suggest that he could have taken Ford head on and/or that Gimabrone's dalliance (so obviously minor in comparison to Ford!) hobbled the left beyond repair? W can only guess.

And again Ford shows his lack of respect for rules:

During the video (per tweets, I didn't watch it) there were pre-written questions. When one journalist was asked how the Fords got these questions as the video just aired today, it was said that in the Mayor's Office Friday email they included the email for the show: thus presenting this show as something being done in the official capacity of the Mayor's office. Typical Ford bull.

It's utter bull. The email went out Friday and only to people who get that email. It's not clear at all that all these videos were taped yesterday, which would have given them time to get some questions (and from Bangkok? Why not answer questions from your actual constituents??). they released a trailer last week that was clearly filmed at the same time so how dim do you have to be to think these were real questions?

It's utter bull. The email went out Friday and only to people who get that email. It's not clear at all that all these videos were taped yesterday, which would have given them time to get some questions (and from Bangkok? Why not answer questions from your actual constituents??). they released a trailer last week that was clearly filmed at the same time so how dim do you have to be to think these were real questions?

Not sure if you're calling me dim, but if so, I take great offence to that statement. At no point did I say that I thought those questions were real, I was simply mentioning that they sent out the email for the show in an email from the Mayor's office and the line that that blurs. You completely missed the point.

WIth all due respect, I think that's setting yourself up for a fall. It puts too much onus on the politicians and not enough on yourself. Quit belittling yourself - you are likely as intelligent as 98% of the politicians out there, and quite possibly more moral and upstanding. It's a potentially dangerous notion - electing someone you think is smarter than you and expecting them to represent your interests. Why elevate these people above their actual standing and capabilities? Rob Ford offers ample proof of how asinine, duplicitious and outright incompetent an elected official can be.

I don't see myself as a "lesser" person, but I do feel there are certain people better suited for something as tough and important as politics. Ford is exactly the kind of politician I would never vote for - no higher education, little real-world experience, a history of social gaffes and bad (sometimes illegal) behaviour. I think if people held their politicians to higher standards instead of this "he's just like us" garbage, we wouldn't ever get the likes of Ford. I don't value what he represents. I want to be impressed by and admire this person, not feel embarrassed.

YouTube view counts stop at 301 so they can do a spam check. They don't stop at 276. Youtube listing this video as having 276 views means that its been viewed only 276 times.
It was at 301+ views when I checked before writing my post: I threw in the 276 to be generous, which was obviously an error on my part. We DON'T KNOW exactly how many times a video has been viewed in the first hours after it goes up if you see 301, and seeing 276 in the first minutes after release, then concluding that Ford Nation has disappeared, is just very, very silly.

You really can't judge the opinions of Ford (or anyone) from view-numbers.
True. I wasn't trying to argue that lots of views = unironically popular. I was just pointing out that a low count in the early hours of release is not proof that the video and/or the subject of the video is unpopular in any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back