411     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 483     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NDP will be desperate to keep Jack around if these results hold. They'll not want to lose their momentum after their most successful federal election ever.

Though I guess with Mulclair the NDP has a ready-and-able leader-in-wait. Not the case for the other federal parties.

And in case it isn't Mulcair, they have others, Charlie Angus, Paul Dewar, et al...

Ford broke election laws, allegations say

• Ford improperly had a family holding company, Doug Ford Holdings Inc., fund his campaign to the tune of $77,722.31. Election rules state candidates and their spouses can fund a campaign with their own cash, collect donations from individuals, and borrow money from a “bank or recognized lending institution.â€

• Ford’s campaign improperly categorized direct mailing and telephone canvassing expenses as those related to “holding a fundraising functionâ€, wrongly excluding them from the overall fundraising limit. If categorized as salaries, he would have overspent his limit by $69,642.42, they say.

• If the holding company funding amounts to a loan with more favourable terms than others would get, it may constitute a corporate donation, which is prohibited by Toronto’s elections bylaw.

Discuss.

source

^ just for starters ... how come some of us instinctively knew this was the case, and why is it that the outcome is predictable: everyone will throw up their arms in exasperation and say "that's politics" and the oaf will just get away with it with a small wrist slap ???

Yeah, I find it hard to get worked up about this, honestly. I want the audit to go through and Ford to pay any levied fines, but I don't think there's a credible suggestion that any fiscal impropriety on the part of the Ford campaign altered the outcome of the election.

Haven't really been following this thread much, but how do you explain the following - just reported in the Globe & Mail, a new poll of /Torontonians/ shows an approval rating increase to 70 percent for Mayor Ford.....????

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/toronto-mayors-approval-rating-rises-to-70-per-cent/article2010427/

These are presumably 416ers who were polled.....

"The survey of 913 Torontonians, conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs for the Toronto Real Estate Board, found that 70 per cent approve of the mayor’s performance and 65 per cent support the way city council is handling tax dollars."

"The survey of 913 Torontonians, conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs for the Toronto Real Estate Board, found that 70 per cent approve of the mayor’s performance and 65 per cent support the way city council is handling tax dollars."

O.K.....so what does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that the results would be tainted because the poll was commissioned by the real estate board?

O.K.....so what does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that the results would be tainted because the poll was commissioned by the real estate board?

I'm just highlighting the background.

It's mildly suspicious, considering some of Ford's donators are developers. He's also considered removing requirements that would make developers put money into the neighbourhood in exchange for higher densities.

That's baseless speculation. The bottom line is that most people are happy with Ford, so far. Who's surprised really? He plays to the masses. The city is broken (just refer to the thread on the University Fountains) and people are looking for simple answers as to why their booming prosperous home looks and feels so impoverished. Scratch that, they're looking for solutions, not answers or excuses. Ford is arrogant enough to offer them up, with action plans. You may not agree or like them, but this is what people are reacting favourably to, it would seem.

"Ford won because this is a conversation that had to happen".

Those words popped out of my mouth (in a spontaneous sort of way) last evening over dinner with a friend who is still befuddled about Ford's victory. That pretty much sums up how my thinking has evolved, lately, about Ford.

Enough of negative expectations, and on with the show. I get the value of a Sheppard subway; it will be a good investment. In fact, as far as I am concerned, there have been no successful arguments against a full east-west Sheppard subway line. If it succeeds in getting Torontonians to want even more subways, then that is a victory. I can visualize a subway running down Islington, intersecting with other transit lines, and I can see another line running on Kingston. We have to extend the reach of high-capacity transit, and we must remember that it is totally unsound to overburden the lines that are already there (i.e. overstressing the Yonge line).

There are so many other points to play on, but the key point is this: the center-of-town types have been blissfully ignoring what is happening in the outlying areas of the city, and if that continues, it is to everyone's peril. Ford's message, if there is any, is that the suburbs have to be patched in.

If Ford's subway agenda succeeds I will commend him for it. A comprehensive subway network will boost the Toronto area like no other initiative can. Funding arguments abound, I know, but I will maintain as usual that we cannot afford not to succeed in this one endeavour. Our principal enemy is pessimism; how is it that the folks who got our first subway lines built more than a half-century ago didn't suffer from that particular malady?

Ford's costly police deal a 'rookie mistake,' critics say

Mayor Rob Ford’s “rookie mistake” of awarding the police association a 3.19 per cent salary hike could end up costing the city more than $50 million annually, his critics charge.

“This is going to drive every single essential service contract in the city. The city has said it can afford to pay 3 per cent a year. Not only are the firefighters going to get it, but who else is going to now that they’re an essential service? The TTC,” said left-wing councillor Adam Vaughan.

Ford's message, if there is any, is that the suburbs have to be patched in.

They're patched in in my neighbourhood - many of Riverdale's new breed of homebuyers, in the past five or ten years, are suburban as all get out. Despite what that nice Mr. Florida tells us, I get the impression that the days when the downtown was a meeting place for low-income artists, creative industry types, gay ghetto-ists and new immigrants has passed.

Funny part is: the deal with Police Association will mean fewer cops in the future in order to hod the budgetary line. This from the mayor who promised more police...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back