News   Jul 23, 2024
 390     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were the first to post the story!

Apparently Ford nation email list got the heads up early and were urged to register before this was made official. Get ready for the budget axe to swing wildly.

From the above article, this kind of sums it all up.
Perks also said Ford must maintain a distinction between his role as the city’s mayor and his role as a political candidate. “But Rob Ford has never understood the rules that govern councillors and candidates,” he said. “I’m not surprised that he still doesn't understand them.”

Have any of you guys done the survey? There are actually options to contract out police, ems and fire. Absolutely ridiculous.

Have any of you guys done the survey? There are actually options to contract out police, ems and fire. Absolutely ridiculous.
It's simply the generic way the form is done.

Besides, what is wrong with contracting out police. Many Canadian cities do this! Probably not a good idea for such a large city.

It's simply the generic way the form is done.

Besides, what is wrong with contracting out police. Many Canadian cities do this! Probably not a good idea for such a large city.

The problem is people already moan about the lack of accountability with the police, I don't think the situation would improve with a private security firm running the city...In any event, I agree it was just the generic form of the survey, but it irks me that it was even included, tis all.

The problem is people already moan about the lack of accountability with the police, I don't think the situation would improve with a private security firm running the city...
Private security firm? That would indeed be terrible - idea had never crossed my mind. Most contracting out I'm aware of is to the provincial police force, or the RCMP.

Just ran through the survey. Wow, 40 minutes if you do the whole thing.

Some bizarre stuff in there. For example under Transit, the only two services to consider is regular TTC service (buses, streetcars, subways) and WheelTrans. And then your supposed to rank them? No discussion of expansion ... etc.

In case anyone's wondering, here's the link for the online services review survey by the City of Toronto as well.

https://toronto.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9sGiRDeirCJmPVq

Look in the lower right corner of the page to start the survey. It's actually easy to miss. It's really upsetting to see how leading the questions start becoming towards the end of the rather long survey when you've started to tune out.

Anyway, might as well fill it out and try to game their results. I'm sure the Brothers Ford already have their results.

Pass it along.

In the ones that ask you to rank importance (like transit), if you think something else is more important, you can actually drag a blank line up to the #1 spot. You can't type in what you think is more important, but you can at least indicate that you think the two suggestions given are not your top priorities.

Ford's ignorance of the rules might get him evicted from office. No doubt we'd just get Doug Ford as Mayor...

Audit ordered into Mayor Ford’s campaign financing

If the audit finds that Ford breached election laws, potential penalties could run from a fine or — if it’s found the breach was deliberate — removal from office or even imprisonment.

I think this survey deserves as much attention as we can give it. Any chance we could get this into the front page? I see UT recently got some publicity at Torontoist for the terrific redesign, so maybe that's a good place for exposure.

Last edited:
It's really upsetting to see how leading the questions start becoming towards the end of the rather long survey when you've started to tune out.

Anyway, might as well fill it out and try to game their results. I'm sure the Brothers Ford already have their results.

Pass it along.

I agree, I found the last few questions lead you on a bit. Though as a disclaimer, I am a unionized employee with the city. While at this point, my job is in no immediate danger of privatization given the nature of what I do, I do find the general anti-union sentiment pretty troubling. I live, work, pay taxes and spend my paycheck in the city, yet so many people seem to think that it is a crime to earn a wage which one can live off of. It's a disturbing trend of attacking the middle class. No one should be struggling to get by but unfortunately a lot of people do, I don't think anybody working with the city should be punished for this.
I'm just as accountable, if not more so, than someone working in the private sector, if I screw up, yes I can get fired, the only difference is I work for you, the tax payer, not some nameless corporation out to just make a buck.

I'm just as accountable, if not more so, than someone working in the private sector, if I screw up, yes I can get fired,

Well, you're certainly not a building inspector ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back