478     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 541     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common ... that has nothing to do with Ford ...

Though I agree with you.

Toronto committee votes in favour of privatizing garbage collection

After a marathon 12-hour meeting, the committee in charge of Toronto’s solid waste voted to contract out 300 garbage-collection jobs in a large portion of the city.

The 4-2 vote aligns with a major plank in Mayor Rob Ford’s election campaign. The recommendation to privatize much of the city’s garbage service will now go before a full council meeting next month.

It's early in the game, but I am starting to think the same thing about Ford's "regime" as I was thinking during the Harris "regime" - this politician will eventually piss off a lot of people, including a fair share of those who initially supported him.

Ford (and bro.) will shine a light on the polarities in this city in a way that no other team could possibly manage to do. And they won't be thanked for it.

Ford supporters are not big-picture types ...

It's early in the game, but I am starting to think the same thing about Ford's "regime" as I was thinking during the Harris "regime" - this politician will eventually piss off a lot of people, including a fair share of those who initially supported him.

Ford (and bro.) will shine a light on the polarities in this city in a way that no other team could possibly manage to do. And they won't be thanked for it.

Ford supporters are not big-picture types ...

I've had this conversation with a couple of Ford supporters and detractors lately, and the consensus is not in yet. What I can't understand is how naive the Councillors seem to be -- you'd think Layton (e.g.) would have expecting some kind of end-around to kill an expensive project that Robbie fulminated about for years! He's already shown with the Sheppard LRT that he's willing to cost himself hundreds of millions of dollars to 'save' money.

It's the old accountants' saw -- money that's already been spent is a sunk cost. You can't get it back. The question is whether you spend the next money. (And, no, I don't know how he intends to 'not spend' the break fees, unless he somehow twists other bidding to compensate the companies otherwise due cash.)

Ford to back Harper

It will mark the first time the right-leaning mayor, who swept into office on an agenda of respect for taxpayers, has flexed his electoral strength since the municipal election.

Ford's huge victory in last October's mayoral race was seen as a possible beachhead in the federal Conservatives' battle for more seats in the GTA.

Adrienne Batra, Ford's press secretary, confirmed the mayor would be at the event and publicly support Harper.

"The message from the federal Conservatives and Prime Minister Harper is pretty clear, they want to reduce corporate taxes and we need to make Toronto a tax-friendly environment that helps bring business here," Batra said.

Earlier this month Ford balked at endorsing a particular campaign publicly, but told reporters he hoped whoever won would be willing to help the city.

But with voters going to the polls on Monday, Batra said the mayor feels it is "clear the Conservative message and platform is something that he supports ... the Conservatives are really the only ones talking about lower taxes and job creation, and that's good for the City of Toronto."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/29/ford-to-back-harper

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...6--ford-to-endorse-harper-in-federal-election

Unless he is supporting a party that has pledged to build mass transit or other goodies in Toronto and region he should keep his mouth shut.

With the mayor now backing Harper can we expect Ford Nation to make Toronto into a sea of Tory blue on Monday?

With the mayor now backing Harper can we expect Ford Nation to make Toronto into a sea of Tory blue on Monday?

I don't know about Toronto, but up here in Vaughan there is nothing bout Blue and Red; which sucks -- though alot of people I know are thinking Orange. I will have to say though, the other day I was driving down Dufferin and saw a fair share of Orange as well, let hope Torontonians are thinking that way! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back