News   Jun 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

How exactly did the TTC become the a cutback target of those supporting Ford? Let's all remember that the TTC is the most efficiently operated local transit system in North America, by far. It's also more efficient than most, if not all, transit systems in Europe. Part of the reason is that people ride it because they know bus service is reliable and frequent, even in evenings and on non-core routes. Dial-a-bus would undermine that and is incredibly shortsighted at best (just like Rob Ford). If for the sake of the argument, there's too much spending in Toronto, the TTC isn't the problem.

Do you lack reading comprehension or what?
I think the answer to that is quite clearly "what". I definitely feel a lack of "what" in my life.

You have been trolling here and you have admitted it a couple of times. You are a troll. It's pretty simple.

I'm quite sure that in a couple of years, you'll be confessing to us that you never actually voted for Ford, and had little intention of voting for him.

Let's all remember that the TTC is the most efficiently operated local transit system in North America, by far. It's also more efficient than most, if not all, transit systems in Europe.

You just made that up, right?

spider:

If one defines efficiency by fare recovery ratio, then yes, TTC compares very favourably to transit systems in Europe, even.

AoD

TTC is a target because most RF supporters drive cars. That was very evident amongst those I chatted to last week. They made up crazy silly reasons to support him. Case in point: One middle aged Chinese woman said her husband and herself are voting for RF because he personally promised her husband that no public housing would be built on their street under his regime. Now, the fact she lives next to a huge Wal-Mart and shops there daily didn't dawn on her as being part of the problem.... I mean, where are those poor Wal Mart workers gonna live???

spider:

If one defines efficiency by fare recovery ratio, then yes, TTC compares very favourably to transit systems in Europe, even.

AoD

That's stupid. In effect, the TTC can become more or less 'efficient' (by your definition) merely by changing fares.

That's stupid. In effect, the TTC can become more or less 'efficient' (by your definition) merely by changing fares.
I'd have thought that one could make the TTC more efficient by increasing fares was plainly obvious. You could also make it quicker by driver the buses faster ...

Isn't that all obvious?

I think you are confusing efficiency of the organization, with the efficiency of the user, or the reliability of the organisation.

That is correct. TTC is the most efficient (in a tax dollar benefit ratio) transit system on the continent.

Fresh Start, are you being paid to promote Rob Ford? Who in their right mind would say something like Ford most closely epitomizes what I would want out of a candidate? Seriously? I think out of all the candidates, none of whom I consider a good choice, Ford would be my LAST choice, by a wide margin. I think he's the most blatantly manipulative, dishonest and has the least integrity of the bunch. He's probably the most destructive too. He is the anti Miller candidate but he's also the anti Toronto candidate. We all know there are a lot of people out there who would love nothing more than see Toronto decline and go right down the tubes. Sadly, many of those people live in Toronto. Who do you think those people would vote for? I'd bet it's Rob Ford! Why? Because Rob Ford is all about punishing Toronto. The people who want to knock Toronto down a few pegs, are the ones who are lining up behind Ford. These are the people who only see the bad and never acknowledge that Toronto does a lot of things right. There is a reason Toronto is always near the top of any best place to live list.

Ford only gives easy answers. For instance, Ford wants to cancel Transit City and replace it with subways. He also wants to cut taxes and city spending. So why doesn't he explain to us what he's going to do and how he plans to pay for it? Where is he going to put a subway? How much will it cost? What if people don't want it in their neighbourhood? (we all know Ford supports all NIMBYs) When will it be built? Has he actually studied the issue and done some analysis? Subways cost a lot more than LRTs, so if we need to cut spending, I'd think subways are a no no. His policies seem inconsistant. (like fighting density in Lawrence Heights, then saying increase density to fund subways - Lawrence Heights is right between 2 subways ?) Can you not understand what I'm saying here?

We all know why Ford is pushing subways. They are built underground and don't interfere (slow down) with drivers, so we all know what the suburban, soccer moms would prefer. Might that not explain why someone who wants to cut taxes and spending, would push for subways, even though it doesn't seem logical? Does he really believe in subways or is he saying what he believes his voting block want to hear? Do they even use subways? So,what happens if Ford gets elected and has to pay for those very expensive subways? Well, he didn't actually make a promise, did he? So a few years from now, when he comes out saying we don't have the money to pay for subways, he can say, well, I didn't make any specific promises on a subway. (or blame other levels of government, when he knew all along they would not fund it) Of course, Transit City would be scrapped, so no LRTs. No improvement in transit = more gridlock everywhere. This is what I envision, with Rob Ford.

I don't see any substance, any specifics, any explanations about how things will be done. All we get are simple concepts like cut taxes, cut costs and bust unions but not details. How much does he plan to cut taxes? What services will he cut? How will he bust the unions and what might be the problems associated with that? Does he understand the ramifications and problems that might arise out of that? I want to see some evidence that he does. Before someone votes for him, shouldn't they know all the details, to know what we are getting ourselves into? (since he is the one pushing for massive changes in how this city operates)

My prediction, we will NOT get any real explanations about why, when or how Ford will do all that he has promised. He just expects people to vote for massive change, without ever telling us what to really expect. He will not explain because the truth is, he has no clue how he is going to do it.

Last edited:
I share RF's lack of enthusiasm for Transit City, all it does is replace a bus with a streetcar. Service is no faster or more frequent but it does make life tougher for the motorists. If Toronto aspires to great things like New York they must imagine what New York would look like today if 75 years ago the city administration had invoked a Transit City plan and built streetcar lines instead of subways.

Toronto is a big city on the cusp of great things, please don't think so small, raise my tax bill 20% and do this transit thing right.

Service is no faster or more frequent but it does make life tougher for the motorists.
Why do you say that service is no faster, when service is significantly faster.

Debate the plan, sure. But I don't see the need for these lies.

I share RF's lack of enthusiasm for Transit City, all it does is replace a bus with a streetcar. Service is no faster or more frequent but it does make life tougher for the motorists.

Please, do explain how it would make life tougher for motorists? It will involve widening the road, and drivers will no longer get stuck behind buses. Sounds pretty good to me.

FS:

For your record, I think the debate over your competence, or the lackthereof, has been throughly settled in the previous discussion in this very thread about the LRV facility. Like RF, you have proven to be ill-informed, unwilling to admit to errors, eager to blame others for your mistakes, and when push comes to shove, offers nothing but verbose apologies that is short on genuine regrets but laden with emotional manipulation. Please, individuals of your typology are quite frankly inappropriate to lead in ANY setting.

And before I forget - at least be a tad original when it comes to "your" ideas on cutting night service - as per Towhey's blog on the same topic posted eons ago.

AoD

So if Fresh Start represents the metaphorical design/build McMansion class, it isn't just a matter of shoddy aesthetics, but of shoddy construction as well--and if the client finds reason to complain, he hems, haws, blames the client for being incompetent/disengaged/an ungrateful worrywart, blathers about being "smeared", etc.

If that's what Fresh Start's all about, tarring and feathering is too good for him.

That said--not that I've been searching, but to be fair, I haven't heard bad things about Deco Labels as a business. (Then again, that might just be the Père Ford legacy talking.)

If you're saying "enough already", you're showing your own counter-weakness. Wimp.

I'm just saying that I've gone out of my way to be courteous to my detractors, I mean I never accused anyone of being anti-transit or batshit crazy for supporting Smitherman, Pantalone, etc. even if some of the things that they're proposing for Torontonians are of questionable benefit at best. Anti-Fords only prove themselves to be as intolerant to divergent opinions as they claim RF to be; their hypocrisy seems to have no bounds. If I wasn't made to feel like I'm being attacked from all sides, I wouldn't have gotten tongue-tied and frustrated so often and perhaps then my credibility on why Ford is a viable enough candidate to weather Toronto through these difficult socioeconomic times would emerge more often.

Back