News   Jul 11, 2024
 221     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 636     1 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

If Ford is elected and tries to cut civil servants wages, I doubt he'll be mayor for long. The garbage strike left a bad taste in the mouths of the citizenry, and that would pale in comparison to what both CUPE unions would advocate.

I wonder if he'll show up to the Labour Day parade.

Hang on ... so basically your saying that your trolling?

Isn't that a violation of forum guidelines?

No. How am I trolling? I was just being sarcastic with the whole battlecry against the status quo bit. How come GM and Adma can make jokes and not be taken seriously yet I can't? I sincerely want for RF to win, but know that few people in this city can actually think freely for themselves and so will elect in whomever the media tells them to. They've done a good job thus far brainwashing the public into thinking RF is the personification of all things evil, while deliberately allowing Smitherman to fly under the radar in spite of his egregious blunders as a Provincial Liberal. The gullible or misinformed of the undecideds will believe the media hook, line and sinker. The rest, like most UT-types, wouldn't have voted for him anyway, so do the math.

Reducing routes to 60 minutes, and cutting service after 10p.m. is anti-transit. It's an attack on the elderly, and infirm, the people you supposedly champion. Pathetic.

Yes I do champion them, Justin; for whom or what do you stand for? Maybe it is easier for you to label me as an anti-transit philistine because then you don’t have to deal with the realization that there might actually be a valid altruistic, pro-transit reasoning behind the proposals that I’m making. That I may actually have a functioning brain, have lots of good ideas to share that the status quo is not effectively addressing, and should be given an opportunity to expand on my thought process without a condescending or angry lynch mob-style reaction to every single thing that I post!

With demand responsive transport, the aim is to extend public transport services to the front door of all residences, or from any place to any place. Similar to the Wheel-Trans system but available for all transit users, Dial-a-bus could be a cost-effective way to provide "as needed" transit service in the inner-suburbs when ridership is low (i.e. late night service hours). Dial-a-bus is available upon request to travel to bus stop locations where riders wish to board or be dropped off. They can provide local service and will always connect to the commuter buses going into subway terminals. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be done by buses exclusively, it can also rely on contracted accessible and sedan taxis. After seeking a form of public transit that could serve effectively but within its financial constraints, the City of Rimouski created a successful operation using private taxis (e.g. Beck, Co-op). Taxibus has shown that public-private partnerships with the taxi industry can improve public mobility in an affordable manner. Since 1999, the concept has been applied in other cities in Quebec including Montreal, and variations have appeared in cities across Canada.

TTC riders, especially those in the suburbs, often face long wait times between buses. With TTC's budget crisis, it is extremely unlikely they can add more bus service. However, there are ways TTC could dramatically improve service at little to no cost. Rescheduling buses on trunk lines is one way to increase service, at least as far as the customer sees it, at very little cost to the agency. Technically, there's no increase in capacity through rescheduling - the same number of buses, the same number of seats - but a better distribution of those seats throughout the day. A bus that comes "once per hour" to you and I could be counted once in each direction, thus making the frequency "every 30 minutes". I do propose some potential route adjustments. Those would either shorten routes or be pretty close to no net gain on route length. So that would actually tend toward a decrease in the number of vehicles (and operators) required to run the route. Of course, savings would have to pass a certain threshold before a bus could actually be removed from the schedule.

In some instances, it might make sense to reroute neighbourhood buses to serve a particular trunk or to give more common segments. Simplification of route structure could increase productivity by shortening the length of routes and making it easier for riders to understand the bus line. In attempting to connect as many points as possible with as few exchanges as possible the TTC has created a system that sub-optimally serves most. The lack of predictability and reliability along core lines is one of the larger impediments to ridership growth.

It would not be easy to schedule every bus line that had common segments with other buses so that intervals were nice and even. Yes it is a complex problem, but not that complex for a good computer programmer. Plenty of algorithms and software exist to find near-optimal solutions. It just takes some skill in programming and operations research to use them. It's long been clear that TTC has near-zero OR expertise. The TTC could contract out the scheduling. TTC can also simplify its route structure to make scheduling easier.

But before the TTC even attempts this, it needs to collect good data on ridership system-wide. Segments with low ridership can be dropped or have service reduced. Identify important core routes, including looking at ways to reduce proximal, parallel routing. Assign a global percentage of vehicles to the core as a whole; reassign vehicles from that pool to maintain average headways across routes. The design goal here has to be headways, because the system is more valuable to riders the less they stand around waiting for the next bus. Optimize shorter feeder routes based on remaining equipment. Where possible reduce the effect of traffic on core routes, with stop light priority, dedicated lanes, smarter routing, and other low-overhead improvements as available. We don't need to wait on Transit City to improve the system.

So to wrap this up, I suggest that you see whether once an hour route frequency is not the norm along the majority of routes for much of the GTA during late evening service hours. Heck, look at GO Transit during off-peak hours. Night services can be less frequent and operated based on necessity. That 74% (could be higher) of the TTC's annual operating budget's going towards workers' salaries alone should inference to you that something is profoundly wrong in its management. The TTC comprises 14% of the City annual budget or $512.5 million. Operating costs increasing faster than revenues – 1% increase in City expenses = $80 million. Service cuts where appropriate translates into more frequent service levels when they’re most critically needed.

@everybody else:
Note that I didn't call the TTC's planners morons. They're hard working, intelligent people. But without adequate amount of feedback from the community, they don't always know that improvements we value most.

They've done a good job thus far brainwashing the public into thinking RF is the personification of all things evil, while deliberately allowing Smitherman to fly under the radar in spite of his egregious blunders as a Provincial Liberal.

Except that you're obsessively painting this polarity in terms of Ford vs Smitherman; as if Smitherman were the anti-Ford consensus choice--which is far from the case; esp. among the Millerite left who wouldn't trust him w/a ten-foot pole.

Heck, if we're speaking of the Millerite left: consider how Pantalone's strategy has consisted of him thus far flying even further under the radar--practically the subtler, slow-burn polar opposite to Ford's approach; or what I call the "Droopy strategy". IOW Pantalone's so surreally, superficially *pathetic* now, to the point where people scarcely remember his being at Pride despite his condoms, that something's gotta be up...

Except that you're obsessively painting this polarity in terms of Ford vs Smitherman; as if Smitherman were the anti-Ford consensus choice--which is far from the case; esp. among the Millerite left who wouldn't trust him w/a ten-foot pole.

Heck, if we're speaking of the Millerite left: consider how Pantalone's strategy has consisted of him thus far flying even further under the radar--practically the subtler, slow-burn polar opposite to Ford's approach; or what I call the "Droopy strategy". IOW Pantalone's so surreally, superficially *pathetic* now, to the point where people scarcely remember his being at Pride despite his condoms, that something's gotta be up...

If you extrapolate my posts via plucking out choice sentences that when read in isolation can feed into your presumption that I'm a misinformed philistine, then you lose the context. Here's what you should have gleamed from that paragraph:

The rest, like most UT-types, wouldn't have voted for him anyway, so do the math.

If the planning community's of the opinion that the way things are going now is adequate, then they'll most likely support the representative of the status-quo. Ford will have difficulty winning simply because the race is so splintered. CUPE trotting out its 150k strong backing of Pantalone will help influence the vote, so too will the environmental scorecard thing-y. I don't think it boils down to Smitherman v. Ford alone, but of all the candidates, I feel that Smitherman's the least deserving based on his record. Heck, I'd sooner vote for Pantalone than him. And like the article that I posted suggests, it seemed that he had a hand in the Toronto Star's latest in a string of defamation articles against Ford. How many times has e-Health, c. dificule, OLG, Samsung windmills, eye exams, the elderly/diaper-wearing incident, his trip to China and other questionable deeds been published by Christopher Hume or any of his peers in the past few months? If the race is turning into a bifurcation it's precisely because that's what the media wants, it's influencing the vote. Whenever they publish something disparagaing about Ford that all in all is over a benign judgment of character matter, you have to ask yourself what motivation do they have to be going to such lengths to badmouth the guy? It's seems suspicious to me, like they stand to lose something should he get elected.

Last edited:
If the planning community's of the opinion that the way things are going now is adequate, then they'll most likely support the representative of the status-quo. Ford will have difficulty winning simply because the race is so splintered. CUPE trotting out its 150k strong backing of Pantalone will help influence the vote, so too will the environmental scorecard thing-y. I don't think it boils down to Smitherman v. Ford alone, but of all the candidates, I feel that Smitherman's the least deserving based on his record. Heck, I'd sooner vote for Pantalone than him. And like the article that I posted suggests, it seemed that he had a hand in the Toronto Star's latest in a string of defamation articles against Ford. How many times has e-Health, c. dificule, OLG, Samsung windmills, eye exams, the elderly/diaper-wearing incident, his trip to China and other questionable deeds been published by Christopher Hume or any of his peers in the past few months? If the race is turning into a bifurcation it's precisely because that's what the media wants, it's influencing the vote. Whenever they publish something disparagaing about Ford that all in all is over a benign judgment of character matter, you have to ask yourself what motivation do they have to be going to such lengths to badmouth the guy? It's seems suspicious to me, like they stand to lose something should he get elected.

Except that...I don't get a strong sense of "rah rah Smitherman", either, even from the media, much less "the planning community". Indeed, the media (even the Liberal-centric Star, which one'd assume is most in the Smitherpot) doesn't even need a Smitherman in order to smear Ford--Ford's been offering enough self-smear ammunition even before Smitherman entered the mayoral picture. They're not "smearing" Ford on behalf of Smitherman--they're "smearing" Ford on behalf of Toronto. And if anything *seems* on behalf of Smitherman, it's only because he's thus far been the non-Ford front-runner--butd a soft frontrunner, at that, with the Babs Hall II spectre hanging around his neck. Yet such is the condition that prevails, as long as Rossi and Pantalone continue to tread polling water and John Tory steers clear of the picture...

Last edited:
You make all these impassioned posts saying that Ford is such a great candidate, and isn't the complete moron we know his is. And then later on you say your just kidding.

Your trolling ...

Do you lack reading comprehension or what? Is this the only way you can win an argument against me, trying to label me as something derisive so that the forum will turn their backs on my point of view? That you've taken the thread repeatedly off-topic by slandering me instead of focusing on the canddiate and the issues is probably in violation of UT policy in of itself. Roy G Biv questioned my sanity for supporting Ford and suggesting that it's only through him that the will of the silent majority of constituents has a chance of getting heard. I was merely playing up the attitudes being voiced by several RF supporters that I've engaged with IRL. Biv however took me seriously, so I toned down my rhetoric by citing what most of you probably think anyway, that he won't win, even though I sincerely hope that he does. If I was just kidding, why would I still be defending my pick in this thread, think about it? I don't think that that's an instance of trolling, just trying not to sound foolish. No one wants to be made a fool of. You're just trying to twist my arguments inside out in hopes that I'll get into trouble with the mods. I won't try to run a joke by you people again cause you obviously don't know how to handle it.

I kid you not when I say that as a protest vote against the Miller regime, Ford most closely epitomizes what I would want out of a candidate. I never said that he would be a great mayor (and you can check my post history as verification on that), just that what's needed now is someone whom embodies fiscal restraint and public pliability, who's credible on both counts. Either RF is the biggest charlatan in the race or he's too simple-minded to be cunning enough to get away with betraying the public trust. I'm amazed that you put so much stock into minutiae soundbytes and the words of his opponents on Council. To all those saying that he'll be an embarassment, there's a long list of moronic blunders that David Miller has committed under his watch. RF's voting record speaks for itself, along with several other factoids that I'm learning about. I don't care how unsophisticated he may sound like if he's spousing the right kind of messages. This is my humble opinion, I have no ulterior motive for endorsing RF, I'm not a RF shill or volunteer, just a concerned citizen trying to make sense of why my property taxes, utilities, cost of vehicle ownership, transit fare, etc., etc. is going up while my street needs repaving and the City won't return my phone calls. I'm not saying this to bait or incite anger in the forum. You're confusing trolling with merely expressing an opinion. If you want to talk politics, let's talk politics. Enough with people labelling me as "philistine", "low life", "troll", "uninformed", "bat-shit crazy" and whatever else y'all have been saying about me behind my back.

Enough with people labelling me as "philistine", "low life", "troll", "uninformed", "bat-shit crazy" and
whatever else y'all have been saying about me behind my back.

If you're saying "enough already", you're showing your own counter-weakness. Wimp.

In the meantime, here's a sentimental issue Pantalone's ideal for riding on...

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/07/16/14740581.html

Keep Ontario Place Cinesphere: Councillor
By ANTONELLA ARTUSO, Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Last Updated: July 16, 2010 6:36pm

Torontonians would fight to keep the giant, iconic Cinesphere at Ontario Place, mayoral candidate Councillor Joe Pantalone says.

While he welcomes an Ontario Place revitalization effort, Pantalone said Friday that heritage elements like the Cinesphere and pods should not be bulldozed.

“It’s totally wrong to contemplate demolishing it,†he said. “The architectural community of this city, the people who love the public realm in this city, rightly would not tolerate that and I, as a local councillor of the area, would definitely not support it, and as a mayor of Toronto, I would definitely oppose demolition.â€

Ontario Place has formally issued a Request For Information that invites interested partners to present a new vision of the 39-hectare park.

The province is suggesting that the new Ontario Place incorporate education, recreation, dining and entertainment elements as well as green energy, but there are no requirements that any existing structures remain on site.

Pantalone said reinvestment in Ontario Place is long overdue, as the attraction has been in decline for more than a decade now, adding little value to the city.

“I think it’s an excellent idea. It should have been done a long time ago, but the fact it’s happening now is positive,†he said. “(But) you don’t build the future by demolishing the past, especially when it comes to heritage buildings. You basically take beautiful heritage buildings and you retrofit them and you bring them into life and prosperity for the future, the way we’ve done at Exhibition Place.â€

He pointed out that Ontario Place, which opened in 1971, was the work of noted architect Eb Zeidler, who also designed the Eaton Centre.

The call to make over Ontario Place came in a pivotal tourism report prepared last year by Liberal MPP Greg Sorbara.

“We believe that the revitalization of Ontario Place should be done in conjunction with the redevelopment of the surrounding area,†the report says. “The entire area should become the province’s showpiece for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017.â€

The report calls for a series of pedestrian and cycling trails linking to neighbouring sites, a transportation strategy for easier visitor access, a year-round facility, and free access to the public grounds with ticketed admission to some entertainment areas.

Work on a new Ontario Place could begin after the summer of 2011.

FS:

For your record, I think the debate over your competence, or the lackthereof, has been throughly settled in the previous discussion in this very thread about the LRV facility. Like RF, you have proven to be ill-informed, unwilling to admit to errors, eager to blame others for your mistakes, and when push comes to shove, offers nothing but verbose apologies that is short on genuine regrets but laden with emotional manipulation. Please, individuals of your typology are quite frankly inappropriate to lead in ANY setting.

And before I forget - at least be a tad original when it comes to "your" ideas on cutting night service - as per Towhey's blog on the same topic posted eons ago.

AoD

Last edited:

Back