News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I feel like Star Trek is rather OT for this thread, but since, for now, we're discussing it here, I will say, I watched the episode.

I'm not a devotee of the franchise, though I'm certainly familiar with it and did watch the last season of Picard.

That outta the way, I was, of course, watching to see what they showcased of our fair city.

They shot this one in the cold weather, of course, LOL, so the American view of our City won't change.........

But here's some of what we see:

-Yonge-Dundas-Square and the Eaton Centre where Kirk initially observes, looks like 21st century New York City.........
Before being corrected by his companion who notes it's clearly Toronto.

-A car chase through downtown, highlighting Commerce Court and Metro Hall, the square of which gets raced over.......

-The Waterfront

- Outside of ROM

- And the source of all evil, genetic experiments and cold fusion reactors.................. The Royal Conservatory of Music! You knew they were covering something up there, didn't you? LOL

- Khan was apparently raised in the RCM. What else could explain a super-human with a keen intellect and a megalomaniac personality?

- Of course, poutine got a shout out, along with our brilliant streetcart hotdogs? LOL

Not sure if this was shared, but it's confirmed the Starbucks outside of the HHOF won't be reopening and that Pigeon will be opening their second downtown Toronto location. The first location opened quietly at 337 King West.

Commentary will be mixed, as the Starbucks was an interesting tenant for the location outside the HHOF, which saw the Spirit of Hockey move from the concourse level to the current location on the ground floor of Brookfield Place a number of years back. The fact that Starbucks didn't re-open this location after the pandemic, while also giving up other nearby leases (including the St Lawrence market at Front street - turned into Au Pain Dore) and not re-opening locations as of yet (like the Royal Bank Plaza location, outside of Union or First Canadian Place, across from Laduree) shows that this was an attempt to put something into a space that sat empty for more than three years.

OEB, the brunch place from Calgary that has its first location in Liberty Village is opening a second location on Toronto Street around the corner from Google and the King Eddy. Photo taken 1 July.
IMG_2919.jpeg
IMG_2918.jpeg

Blondie pizza coming to eglinton ave e and Avenue rd

View attachment 491049

Getting ever closer to @AlbertC from all directions.

I feel like this may be a part of a plan to get Albert out of the house more by placing Blondie's at the periphery of his everyday walking zone.

Last edited:
Anyone know if Toronto's Roadside Hot Pot @ 438 Dundas (near Spadina) is gone?
It never seems to be open anymore.
Last time I passed by there, it was a Monday, so I figured maybe they are taking Mondays off now instead of Tuesdays or something...?
(would be nice to read a note in the window or something...)

Last edited:
So we've got this opening here, and Joey's opening down the street soon as well.

I think some of these firms are grossly overestimating the demand. Between those two aforementioned eateries, Cactus Club, Moxie's, Kelly's Landing, and The Keg which all serve very similar clientele, it's going to be a hard fall for one these spots.

Local Public Eatery are confirmed to be opening here:

haha, the author of this article looks quite familiar... 🤣

hint: check the front page of the UT articles

but hey good things more watering holes nearby the financial district can't complain.

Pizza Maru opening soon at Church/Gerrard in what used to be Starbucks and then Bar 808. I'm not familiar with the chain but apparently it has 600+ locations in Korea. There's another pizza place that seems somewhat similar (although Japanese) just down the road at Gerrard/Bay called Pizza Saint Tropez.

The property always seems to be in high demand but nothing ever lasts there.

PXL_20230729_140238101.jpg

Pizza Maru opening soon at Church/Gerrard in what used to be Starbucks and then Bar 808. I'm not familiar with the chain but apparently it has 600+ locations in Korea. There's another pizza place that seems somewhat similar (although Japanese) just down the road at Gerrard/Bay called Pizza Saint Tropez.

The property always seems to be in high demand but nothing ever lasts there.

View attachment 495934

"The property always seems to be in high demand but nothing ever lasts there."

I feel like most retail space within downtown Toronto correspond with this statement.

Back