News   May 09, 2024
 506     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 465     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 764     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

We ran a restaurant for a year (a specific term as a way to help out someone). It is not easy, and it's tough to make a buck.

This is so many people. They all think owning a restaurant is easy, it's like "my wife and I throw amazing dinner parties.... let's open a restaurant" I was a server at a restaurant owned by a retried dentist. He bit off more than he could chew and lost everything, he even had to sell his house. Another young entrepreneur i knew, blew his money trying open a high-end cafe/restaurant in an old building he bought downtown. He ended up owing people millions of dollars and committed suicide. Owning a restaurant isn't as fun and easy as people think it is... Once those doors are locked at night you're still not closed.

And went in knowing the stats - that 80 (I think it is closer to 90%) of new restaurants don't survive the first year or two. It's like adventurism went horribly wrong.

AoD

And went in knowing the stats - that 80 (I think it is closer to 90%) of new restaurants don't survive the first year or two. It's like adventurism went horribly wrong.

AoD
What a disastrous cautionary tale. Interestingly, I googled the Beech Tree and it's still operating (9 years now), so whoever took it over after the original owner badly mismanaged it clearly has a better approach to things.

What a disastrous cautionary tale. Interestingly, I googled the Beech Tree and it's still operating (9 years now), so whoever took it over after the original owner badly mismanaged it clearly has a better approach to things.

To be fair, the author did mention that someone else took it over and had a better run than he did (it was resold again).

AoD

722 Landsdowne Avenue. Doesn’t need a thread so put it here. Great Main Street renovation. View attachment 458821

Wish I had taken a better photo, but these caught my eye as I passed by - they looked pretty nice in person:

IMG_5116.jpeg

Astoria are planning to open in the former Otto's Bierhalle space at Dovercourt & Queen West. It's from the same folks behind Bar Poet (across the street), and is described as a French American bistro & cocktail bar:

Astoria are planning to open in the former Otto's Bierhalle space at Dovercourt & Queen West. It's from the same folks behind Bar Poet (across the street), and is described as a French American bistro & cocktail bar:

Are they allowed to take the exact same name as the place in Greektown, given that they are both restos?

Are they allowed to take the exact same name as the place in Greektown, given that they are both restos?

I don't have insight in the legality/licensing aspect, but I presume the new spot has gotten clearance to do so. Or the "American Bistro" part of the name/sign is enough to differentiate it from the Shish Kebob House in Greektown.

Pic of the signage going up from Google reviews:

2023-04-26.jpg

Back