News   Jul 22, 2024
 302     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Though I think this is a good idea, it's a another flip-flop by Mr Ford.
cp.jpg

To be honest though, I don't think Ford should be blamed for this - I think allowing mass participation at a game just isn't a thing to do when everyone else is unable to do so (even if they are vaccinated) - it frankly sends the wrong message.

AoD
Well, the risks are low; these are health workers who receive far more exposure at their jobs than they would distanced in a stadium; they're fully aware of the risks and how to manage them, and damnit, it'd be nice for a government that has been almost nothing but an enemy to them since taking office to actually do something *nice* for once.

Well, the risks are low; these are health workers who receive far more exposure at their jobs than they would distanced in a stadium; they're fully aware of the risks and how to manage them, and damnit, it'd be nice for a government that has been almost nothing but an enemy to them since taking office to actually do something *nice* for once.

I think of it more like a guilt trip. It's as though they were playing in front of sick orphans mentality wise. They are doing this for them and they have something to play for.

They know if they lose, they will be letting alot of people down.

Final score: 8-1 Habs with a bench clearing brawl.

I don't fault him at all - consistency matters, and anything that undermines the notion that large gatherings are still not ok is just a bad idea. Like - can you imagine the messaging around restricting large public gatherings in enclosed space after photos of masses attending a government-sanctioned hockey game in an enclosed arena starts floating around? It just undermines the message completely.

AoD

I don't fault him at all - consistency matters, and anything that undermines the notion that large gatherings are still not ok is just a bad idea. Like - can you imagine the messaging around restricting large public gatherings in enclosed space after photos of masses attending a government-sanctioned hockey game in an enclosed arena starts floating around? It just undermines the message completely.

AoD
We need better messaging around what's available to those with both vaccinations then. That's something that's been sorely missing from the government, even if it's just telegraphing for the future, we don't know yet.

I also think the majority of the public will understand the difference between having distanced, fully vaccinated people at less than 3% total building capacity (a gargantuan, high-ceilinged one at that) vs an arbitrary group of half-/non-vaccinated people in a wedding hall.

I mean, there are people who believe they're entitled to do that, but I'm pretty sure they've been doing whatever they want all along.

I got to thinking and it may also have been logistically impossible to do in 24 hours.

Think about it. They need to clean, prep and figure out how to issue tickets to people they have no contact with all in 24 hours.

Nice idea but logistically it would have been almost impossible to pull off.
Patrick Brown was just posturing.

Huh, Doug reversed his decision.

Only to a certain extent. As someone pointed out on the Covid thread they probably had to limit the number due to logistical issues involving operational staff (Cleaning, security, etc) and getting tickets out.

With less than 24 hours notice it was probably hard to pull this off with a skeleton crew. If we beat the habs I can see them having more fans in the stands next round.

There are now less than 4 weeks of the school year left. It's really getting a bit late to send kids back and expect it will have any REAL effect on their education (or even on their social skills.) Long past the time to MAKE A DAMNED DECISION.
I saw a tweet that said something like, send them back for 2 weeks, but no real teaching. Let them spend time running around with their friends and give the parents a break.

Back