619     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.9K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 926     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Chicago with all its crime problems, and yet their rt covers the whole damn city.

Not making excuses here, I'm just trying to give a bit of context:

Chicago was a much, MUCH bigger city than Toronto in the early 1900's & late 1800's when there was a big subway building boom in America. This is also when most of NYC's subways were being built out. Chicago has a long history of being one of the biggest cities in a booming & developing country, and you can see that immediately in their architecture.

Toronto is now becoming a medium to large sized city and our transit needs to catch up to the new growth.

People here seem to think the liberals are pro-transit. What have the liberals built since 2002?
nothing.

If you only give credit when a transit line opens, nothing.

If you give credit to starting projects that are under construction and one or two years away from opening, then they have built something:

Opening soon (1-3 years) & under construction:
Spadina subway extension
Union Pearson express
Highway 7 BRT
Mississauga BRT

Under construction but not opening soon:
Eglinton Crosstown

People here seem to think the liberals are pro-transit. What have the liberals built since 2002?
nothing.

The genius Transit city? with all the horizontal lines feeding into Yonge yet zero line to go direct to downtown? It was a joke and I am glad it was cancelled.
Toronto is very downtown centric - we should look at Chicago's transit map before making up all those pretty horizontals lines all over the map.

You're deluding yourself if you think Hudak will do any better. The Liberals have planned and set into motion a great deal of transit projects since 2002, and have the best, most comprehensive, and realistic plan to pay for and build a functioning transit network with The Big Move and Metrolinx.

To use your own logic, what transit was built in the Harris regime, of which Hudak is a carbon copy? The Eglinton West subway was cancelled and filled in and the Sheppard subway was truncated to an expensive, useless stub. The PCs will do nothing for transit in this province, and you should know that.

Also Transit City was a City of Toronto project, and trying to portray it as a negative brush to tar the Liberals with is ignorant on quite a few levels.

I have a bunch of boats and bridges for Tim-Hudaks pie in the sky thinking on transit and the million job program for sale.

Where is Hudak going to find 300,000 people to fill the 1 million new job when only 600,000 are out of work now? More so where are these jobs going to be?

He could put them to labour forces to hand dig all the tunnels for these white elephant subway as well the ones that are really needed.

Over all, he can only create 10,000 jobs for transit which is only 1% of his job program promises with only 5,000 being used for construction for the next 10 years only.

I guess we start paving Ontario over with asphalt as transit will not exist under this nut case.

He can't cancel KW line without dealing with a major law suite and its a P3 project in the first place. He can kill the equipment contract, but it will open the door for an off shore company to supply them under a P3 arrangement.

There is nothing stopping Peel from building their LRT other than will power to take on a higher debit load and to do it alone.

All I can say you will get what you want by how you vote on June 12 and I see the third shoe of Mike Harris falling if the PC come to power. I don't support any legion to any party and vote for who I think can do the job. Vote NDP the year they came to power and have voted Lib since then. Will still support Lib regardless of the mess the last few years as they have the best transit plan out there as well a few others.

If anyone think getting tax breaks are the way to go, think again as it all comes out of one pocket at the end of the day. You want a break, then what are you will to have cut that will have more effect on other people other than yourself as well risk to your great great great grand children?? Time to pay the piper for your dreams.

Having contract ready to go in 100 days is a pipe dream and only will happen if there are only already written contracts and plans to do so in place today.

The DRL is number 1 and needs to go north to Steeles to do any good for the Yonge line with it opening in phases. Otherwise, stopping at Danforth does nothing for any of the lines.

I agree with this 100%.

nothing.

Well since you asked, the McWynnety Liberals along with Mayor Miller have built 21 km of subway, to be opened within the next few years.

And that's just the subways that they've built.

How much has Hudak promised? Absolutely nothing ('whenever the budget is balanced ' isn't a proper commitment)

nothing.

The genius Transit city? with all the horizontal lines feeding into Yonge yet zero line to go direct to downtown? It was a joke and I am glad it was cancelled.
Toronto is very downtown centric - we should look at Chicago's transit map before making up all those pretty horizontals lines all over the map.
View attachment 26458

What you don't see today is around the corner come the end of 2014 and early 2015.

You already have the grade separation at Strachan Ave, infrastructure in place for the UPX starting in 2015, more GO buses and trains service today than 5 years ago with more to come over the coming moths and years as GO/Metrolinx find the manpower to do so; own large sections of rail corridors where GO can run more train and rebuilt them at lower cost as they have remove CN from the picture; GO is hamper by CN and CP who own the corridors as to how many trains can operate on the lines as well when and this can only change with more tracks, bridges, grade separation, yards and etc.

It is clearly you have no understanding how Toronto is built or land mass. Having a line running on an angle to/from the downtown has a lot of issues as well generating riders to justify the cost of building it in the first place. I have look at angle lines including X lines from the 4 corners of the city as far back as 2006 and not easy or cheap to do so.

As for horizontal lines, ridership and operation cost will determine if they get built. One one has to look at the Sheppard stub to see it carries far less than a BRT or LRT could hand as well cost $17 per rider in subsidizes to use it compare to the $1.15 system wide with a number on them being at the high point of $3.35. If you have all these horizontal lines and angle lines running underground compare to the elevated lines as Chicago, what do you think the subsidizes will be for these lines as well how do you pay for it??

Chicago was built a lot different than Toronto and did things a lot different to the point elevated lines were built compare taking Toronto 40 years to get one line built. Also, it had more railways severing the city than Toronto giving a wider choice for rail corridor use as most of those early RR are gone with the remaining RR not wanting most of those corridors.

Chicago was willing to invest in transit were Toronto wasn't

Only the PC under Bill Davis leadership and the Lib's since 2003 have been willing to invest in transit. The rest had very little vision for transit.

Something we've been discussing on this & the Eglinton thread. Well I'm glad Eglinton is safe at least!

I would have been happier if he said the current schedule would be maintained (technically, WWLRT isn't cancelled at the moment either); but yes, I feel a little more comfortable now.

Speaking of deferred transit, have any candidate for premier said they will introduce recall elections?

Last edited:
nothing.

The province don't build or plan anything. Transit is up to municipalities. Don't blame them for the municipalities' lack of action/plans. The province can't fund non-existing projects. They can fund operating costs, like they did with the gas tax, the sort of funding the PCs eliminated.

If the Sheppard LRT actually connected to the Yonge Line, it would actually have some merit. Instead it will be a billion dollars on a east-west LRT with no connection to Yonge. And blame the city for that, not the province.

View attachment 26458

Toronto subway has higher ridership than the L-train in Chicago... 964.2k weekday boardings vs. 734.9k. And that's not even including the 43.6k weekday boardings of the Scarborough RT...

http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2013-q4-ridership-APTA.pdf

Of course, over 1 billion boardings per weekday is ridiculously high ridership for such a small system, the third busiest in US/Canada. So it is puzzling that Toronto would concentrate on LRT.

I thinkf or direct to downtown trips, that's why there's GO. The subway should be more for corridors, replacing surface routes. I don't think it makes sense for the TTC to emulate CTA when it has almost twice the ridership as the CTA.

The guy is heading into Rob Ford territory with those kinds of statements.

So far we have seen the 100 day statement once....from one National Post writer...it was not a quote just the writer saying it....every other reporter that covered the same press conference did not mention the 100 day thing and, in fact, said the project would start after budget balanced. Until I see him say it myself, or read him quoted as saying it, I am going to write off the 100 day statement as an error by 1 reporter.

Keep up the good work Timmy! You're making the Liberals look better everyday.

"Real people" in Hamilton don't support LRT, according to Timmy. :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lrt-mid-pen-highway-school-closures-1.2645312

Real people don't support LRT

hudak.jpg

Last edited:
nothing.

A subway extension nearing completionto York U and Vaughan, tunnels under Eglinton, additional tracks through most of the lakeshore corridor plus so key grade separations allowing 30 minute service, major investments in the Georgetown corridor, a new Ottawa rapid transit system under construction, major capacity enhancements to Union station, and much more getting started. This is the most support transit has seen in the province for many decades.

So far we have seen the 100 day statement once....from one National Post writer...it was not a quote just the writer saying it....every other reporter that covered the same press conference did not mention the 100 day thing and, in fact, said the project would start after budget balanced. Until I see him say it myself, or read him quoted as saying it, I am going to write off the 100 day statement as an error by 1 reporter.

I guess the Toronto Sun and Sun News Network also got it wrong too right?

Hudak made the announcement Sunday near the Davisville TTC subway station. He promised to begin work on the new subway line within 100 days of taking office should he win the June 12 election.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/11/hudak-pledges-downtown-relief-express-line

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2014/05/20140512-074816.html

One interesting question is the fate of Scarborough subway if Hudak wins provincially while Chow becomes the Toronto Mayor and swings the Council to revert to the LRT plan. Hudak can insist on building the subway, but he cannot force the City to uphold the property tax hike needed to pay for the City's portion of the cost.

Will Hudak build the shorter Murray's version of the subway (that he criticized just a few months ago)? Or, will he negotiate with Chow and reach a deal that provides full funding for Scarborough subway in exchange for something in other areas?

Perhaps he will agree with Chow and feel happy to get this project off his hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back