597     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.8K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 898     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
most polls are pointing to liberal gains since the election started, there have been 1 or 2 outliers though. Liberal majority is no longer out of the question anymore IMO. Still early though, but Hudak is already well on his way on destroying his chances..

Yeah I think that Hudak has really thrown away any chance of his party gaining any more of the popular vote with these announcements. The best he can hope for is that he'll maintain the base of supporters he has right now.

The party that has really destroyed their chances are the NDP. They'll likely end up with less than 15 seats by time this election is over. And they're on track to lose every one of their Toronto seats to the Liberals. This reminds me so much of the PQ situation in Quebec. Horwath is surely regretting calling this election at this point. The NDP will need to reevaluate themselves when this election is over.

So with the recent announcement that he'd cancel almost all LRT's in the province, I've compiled a list of things Hudak wants to eliminate/cut/privatize and I'm sure I'm missing some:

30% tuition grant
Student loans for those who don't maintain a certain grade
100,000 public sector jobs
Almost all LRT projects in the province
LCBO
OLG
TVO
Ontario Power Authority
Ontario College of Trades
Drive Clean
Green Energy Act
Greenbelt
Healthy homes renovation tax credit

If he gets elected and succeeds in cancelling all of these things, I think there's a good chance we'd dip back into a recession.

In don't think we'd go into a recession. But these cuts aren't what we need right now. We need to invest in our infrastructure to stay competitive. And that goes beyond roads & transit to include things like education

Last edited:
I'd agree with you 100% if this were a single poll. But 308 aggregates and weighs the polling data from multiple firms to get a more consistent picture. This is the second time this week that the Liberals have pulled ahead of the PCs in 308's seat projections. The other times the two parties were tied. I think it's fair to say that the Liberals have gained significant support in the past week.

It must be hard to beat you in a sporting event.

The Liberals won 2 polls by 7% and 3%, while two polls were tied???? (i.e. the Tories leading 12% and 14%).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3ADNtUtnVQk/U3eA2PDrqkI/AAAAAAAAS0g/DPgW8dM_kLg/s1600/Poll+Details.png

Okay so I was doing some poll research (that sounds dirty) and try to get the bias out. What i like to do is look at the success ratio of the previous election, who ever had a better hit radio I think deserves most respect. Now looking at the polls in the last week that it seems like EKOS and Forum Research both have Liberal leads while Ipsos have PC lead. So lets look of what they did in 2011 Ontario elections

The Final in the Ontario election 2011 results were.... Lib 38%... Pc 35%... NDP 23%... Grn 3%

Forum 2011 final prediction.... Lib 37%... PC 36%... NDP 23%... Grn 3% (98% success ratio)... Forum hit a homerun. Almost hit is spot on, with just a difference of a percentage off from Lib and PC totals
Ekos 2011 final prediction... Libs 38%... PC 32 %... NDP 23%... Grn 6% (94% success ratio)... Ekos did well, got the Lib and NDP number spot on, overrated Green by 3 points and underrated PC by the same 3 points.
Ipsos Reid 2011 final prediction... Lib 41%... PC 31%... NDP 25%... Grn 3% ( 90% success ratio)... Ipsos was the worst of the bunch. Missed the winner by three. Underrated the PC by four. Overrated the NDP by two.

So right now I personally am leaning to the polls that are saying the Liberals are in the lead, just due to because in recent history both Forum and Ekos were more accurate that Ipsos. My conclusion is that Ipsos had to much of a pro-Liberal formula last time and they over compensated this time around and now overdosed on PC slant (not on purpose)

Yeah I think that Hudak has really thrown away any chance of his party gaining any more of the popular vote with these announcements. The best he can hope for is that he'll maintain the base of supporters he has right now.

The party that has really destroyed their chances are the NDP. They'll likely end up with less than 15 seats by time this election is over. And they're on track to lose every one of their Toronto seats to the Liberals. This reminds me so much of the PQ situation in Quebec. Horwath is surely regretting calling this election at this point. The NDP will need to reevaluate themselves when this election is over.

Agreed on the NDP point. I think a lot of disgruntled Liberals were looking to the NDP to be "the protest vote that will actually matter, that isn't the PCs", and Horwath has failed to deliver. I haven't heard one truly cohesive policy plan from her, beyond raising a few taxes here and there and giving breaks on car insurance.

As for Hudak, I think it can go one of two ways: he can either rebound by putting forward some policies that aren't crazy, or he'll completely put his foot in his mouth and sink his chances even further.

We still have 26 days to go. I would be cautious about getting too comfortable.

Definitely so. There are so many chances to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I personally am looking to see how each of the candidates will do in the debate- Hudak has shown that he can deliver the message if he's coached well and stays on the narrow path (he implodes once he leaves that path, as the TTC issue shows). I don't know how Wynne will do, and I hope she doesn't come off as condescending, panicky or arrogant during these debates.

People here seem to think the liberals are pro-transit. What have the liberals built since 2002?
nothing.

York University BRT
Highway 7 BRT
30 minute GO service on Lake Shore lines
Expanded GO train and bus service to Niagara, Barrie, Kitchener via Guelph, and Peterborough
Presto card across GTHA and Ottawa

This is not including projects currently under construction and started by the Liberals, including Mississauga BRT, Spadina subway extension, Union-Pearson Express, Eglinton-Crosstown LRT, Ottawa Confederation LRT, and the Kitchener LRT. Besides that, yeah, nothing. :rolleyes:

The genius Transit city? with all the horizontal lines feeding into Yonge yet zero line to go direct to downtown? It was a joke and I am glad it was cancelled.

Toronto is very downtown centric - we should look at Chicago's transit map before making up all those pretty horizontals lines all over the map.
View attachment 26458

Actually Toronto has become VERY keno urbanized and multi-centred. Traffic is almost as bad leaving the city in the morning as it is going into it. This is part of the rational behind the urban centres in the Places to Grow Act, also produced by the Liberals.

People here seem to think the liberals are pro-transit. What have the liberals built since 2002?
nothing.
Is this a joke?

It's very clear that Hudak is going to gut transit. So I can only assume you are supporting the NDP.

What is the NDP going to build that the Liberals won't? (probably an easier question to answer, if the NDP would actually release an election platform).

TOArea, he clearly said that and it's all over google news, I don't know why you would dispute it.

When I first asked about it a few days ago, neither I nor anyone else I was discussing it with could find/source/link other citations of it other than the NP article.....clealy there are others and I had not bothered to redo my search since the first time it was discussed a few pages back.

It is, what we used to call in the pre-internet age, a mistake.

Last edited:
When I first asked about it a few days ago, neither I nor anyone else I was discussing it with could find/source/link other citations of it other than the NP article.....clealy there are others and I had not bothered to redo my search since the first time it was discussed a few pages back.

It is, what we used to call in the pre-internet age, a mistake.
??? It was clearly in his press conference, linked to from his own website. http://www.ontariopc.com/latest/lat...o-pc-plan-to-get-gta-moving-create-96000-jobs

Hudak promised they would start engineering studies in 100 days. This was discussed widely in one of the other threads.

I'm not sure your motive in retconning this.

Last edited:
I agree with him that LCBO and OLG should be privatized, and that the OPA should be completely eliminated.

Have your been to the posh law-firm like OPA office at Adelaide/York? They do nothing except signing horrible agreements for ratepayers.

The Green Energy Act probably kills 2 jobs for every job it fictitiously created.

??? It was clearly in his press conference, linked to from his own website. http://www.ontariopc.com/latest/lat...o-pc-plan-to-get-gta-moving-create-96000-jobs

Hudak promised they would start engineering studies in 100 days. This was discussed widely in one of the other threads.

I'm not sure your motive in retconning this.

There are two possible explanations.....

.......one is that on May 14th another user linked a NP report and questioned how Hudak could possibly (as described in the article) begin construction of this line within 100 days....I had not seen that reference in any other report nor had I seen Hudak say it in CITY TV clip of the presser that I watched. When the conversation resurfaced, I did not look for new links and I have never been to the site you linked above and reiterated that I thought that one NP article was the only place where the start in 100 days was used. This morning when asked why I said that I said it was a mistake.

or, option 2, you could try to ascribe some "motive" that I may have that I am not aware of.

As I type this, however, there is a 3rd...merged, version.

On may 14 I was responding to someone questioning how construction could start in 100 days....you mention studies starting in 100 days....is it possible we are all discussing/linking different things?

There are two possible explanations.....

.......one is that on May 14th another user linked a NP report and questioned how Hudak could possibly (as described in the article) begin construction of this line within 100 days....I had not seen that reference in any other report nor had I seen Hudak say it in CITY TV clip of the presser that I watched. When the conversation resurfaced, I did not look for new links and I have never been to the site you linked above and reiterated that I thought that one NP article was the only place where the start in 100 days was used. This morning when asked why I said that I said it was a mistake.

or, option 2, you could try to ascribe some "motive" that I may have that I am not aware of.

As I type this, however, there is a 3rd...merged, version.

On may 14 I was responding to someone questioning how construction could start in 100 days....you mention studies starting in 100 days....is it possible we are all discussing/linking different things?
Hudak said they'd start engineering studies in 100 days. Most media outlets said they'd start work in 100 days. National Post managed to turn that in a start of construction in 100 days. I'm not sure if that speaks to Katrina Clarke's incompetence, or the National Post's political agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back