News   Apr 19, 2024
 244     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

They're being exploited by far-right/nationalist/anti-Islam/anti-immigrant groups (look at their "allies"), but sure. I am part Chinese. I have Asian friends and family. The so-called "hijab hoax" is a complete non-issue.

It's bad optics overall regardless of any far-right involvement- a complete silence over this issue, while Trudeau immediately released this statement in regards to the hijab hoax:
My heart goes out to Khawlah Noman following this morning’s cowardly attack on her in Toronto. Canada is an open and welcoming country, and incidents like this cannot be tolerated.
https://twitter.com/justintrudeau/status/951921098341445634?lang=en

Plus the whole consistent headlining of statements like these immediately after events like these, which seems more concerned about PR over the tragedy of the situation is sometimes a bit perplexing.
Syrian community fears scapegoating after man new to Canada charged with murder of Marrisa Shen
Members of B.C.'s Syrian community say they are concerned the announcement of Ibrahim Ali's murder charge for the death of Marrisa Shen — and Ali's status as a former refugee — could lead to unwarranted backlash.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marrisa-shen-murder-1.4818244

“At this moment of deep sadness, we earnestly join all Canadians in mourning and hope that this terrible incident won’t result in a backlash against refugees,” reads the statement in part.
https://www.burnabynow.com/news/isl...rged-with-burnaby-murder-to-canada-1.23428729

I believe that a majority of Syrians are peaceful, but this ultimately represents a failure in the fast-track screening and governmental integration. The Trudeau government is absolutely failing these people in allowing people to slip through the cracks of the system and not receive the help they need in order to be culturally and economically acclimatized to Canada.
But, after more than two weeks of inquiries by Postmedia, a media relations officer acknowledged the department has not produced any report in almost two years on the about 50,000 Syrian refugees now in Canada.

Canada’s auditor general is among the unamused. The Liberals had a plan to monitor whether the mostly Arabic-speaking refugees were learning English or French, working, receiving social assistance and going to school, but the government has failed to follow through, said auditor general Michael Ferguson. It is Ottawa’s responsibility, he said, to make sure Syrians refugees “integrate into Canadian society.”
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada did, to be fair, release a one-year-after report on Syrian refugees in December, 2016. It was moderately helpful, since it showed half the privately sponsored refugees had jobs in Canada. But employment fell to 10 per cent among the larger cohort of “government-assisted” refugees, who are typically less educated and often illiterate.

The early Ottawa report also touched on how, after refugees’ first year in Canada, they are cut off from direct stipends from the federal government.

How have things gone for Syrian refugees in Canada in the almost two years since that lone departmental report? No one really knows. That’s unlike in Sweden and Germany, where refugee programs are increasingly thorny electoral issues.
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/co...eau-government-goes-silent-on-syrian-refugees

Last edited:
It's bad optics overall regardless of any far-right involvement- a complete silence over this issue, while Trudeau immediately released this statement in regards to the hijab hoax:

https://twitter.com/justintrudeau/status/951921098341445634?lang=en

Sorry, I think when far-right groups pit minorities against one another to score political points and further their agenda, it is a problem. More so than Trudeau's statement.

Plus the whole consistent headlining of statements like these immediately after events like these, which seems more concerned about PR over the tragedy of the situation is sometimes a bit perplexing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marrisa-shen-murder-1.4818244

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/isl...rged-with-burnaby-murder-to-canada-1.23428729
Well, I mean, there almost always is a backlash. Maybe if people didn't take it upon themselves to act that way, we wouldn't need to be told not to.
Also there are a number of articles about this case that don't highlight the killer's nationality or status.
I believe that a majority of Syrians are peaceful, but this ultimately represents a failure in the fast-track screening and governmental integration. The Trudeau government is absolutely failing these people in allowing people to slip through the cracks of the system and not receive the help they need in order to be culturally and economically acclimatized to Canada.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/co...eau-government-goes-silent-on-syrian-refugees
That's a fair debate to have. It has nothing to do with what I originally said, though.

Sorry, I think when far-right groups pit minorities against one another to score political points and further their agenda, it is a problem. More so than Trudeau's statement.

That's a fair debate to have. It has nothing to do with what I originally said, though.

It's too easy to say that everyone who disagrees that Trudeau should have made a statement is a far-right group- but I know that this definitely does not sit well with people not affiliated with any of those groups.

Is it too hard to put out a simple "I feel tremendously for Marrisa Shen, and I trust that the Vancouver police will do their due diligence in bringing closure and justice to her family. We should always remember that Canada must be a tolerant and safe space for all its citizens" ?

But instead- radio silence? The silence is telling- this is a bad choice for a prime minister who thrives on good PR and made Syrian refugee resettlement one of his central platform planks while reassuring Canadians that nothing bad was to occur. I think he must address this to at least defuse this issue.

I also think it's entirely fair to discuss whether or not the Liberals have failed in the screening processes of Syrians, and their integration. If the government doesn't even know how well its refugees are doing, how do we know that we're helping them integrate into the economy or learn what Canadian cultural boundaries are like? I think the fundamental question is whether or not this could have been avoided- I think it could have with the right governmental assistance and screening.

Internal government audit finds ‘gaps’ in security screening of Syrian refugees
The Canada Border Services Agency audit found that changes to screening procedures for Operation Syrian Refugee “introduced some gaps in the security screening process.”
The auditors also found that, in 150 files, part of the screening process did not occur, meaning that “key information may not have been identified or considered” when approving refugees.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3875716/syrian-refugees-gaps-screening-canada/

Last edited:
I don't understand how this happens. If she doesn't want to be Liberal anymore that's ok but the Liberals then should be able to fill that position until the next election. I rarely vote for the person and mostly for the party. This would upset me to no end.

It happens because our parliamentary rules allow it to happen. Some argue that should a member cross the floor then they should step down and trigger a by election. I'm not of all the ins-and-outs but to me it has merit and I would much prefer that over the party simply 'filling the position'. A riding is not the property of a particular party for the duration of a parliament.

York Region is trending more toward the Conservatives than the rest of the GTA. Their vote held up pretty well there during the "red wave" of 2015 (and of course Ford's PCs did very well there).

The Star has posted a video of a moderately frustrated Justin Trudeau at a meeting w/First Nations representatives in Saskatchewan.

The frustration arose as a result of a larger than planned group showing up, and each person running on, when the meeting was only scheduled to last an hour.

There is a great deal that could be discussed about policy in this area, under any government.

I have to say though, I think the Prime Minister's frustration is reasonable.

Though, the time-allotment would have been tight even with a much smaller group, assuming one was aiming for meaningful dialogue of any kind.

An hour? I swear I spend more time talking to my friends about dumb shit, like how many stars there are in the sky.

If the idea was to sincerely hear people's views on issues affecting them (which he claims to be all about, especially with FNs) then I'm not sure I see the point in a mere hour. If he's so busy, why not send his two ministers in charge of FNs issues?

Back