News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

MTSA in South Porcupine 😍

One of our gifted render folks should make that happen and post it at SSP just to get a reaction out of the American readers. LOL

Last edited:
Is that northern route to Ottawa different from the one CN abandoned from North Bay?
Huh? The service is from Sudbury to White River (near Lake Superior) on CP trackage.
Only if it is run Toronto - Winnipeg on the CP line.
It is operated by VIA under its 'remote service' mandate. Anything beyond that would require additional funding. I'm not sure I get the author's argument that, dollar-for-dollar, putting it under ONTC would magically make it better. It would still be a flag-stop service on somebody's else's trackage.

Huh? The service is from Sudbury to White River (near Lake Superior) on CP trackage.

It is operated by VIA under its 'remote service' mandate. Anything beyond that would require additional funding. I'm not sure I get the author's argument that, dollar-for-dollar, putting it under ONTC would magically make it better. It would still be a flag-stop service on somebody's else's trackage.
Let ONTC run the service. It's their trackage. They control the dispatch and schedule.

I have rode this service many times in younger years and it’s is a service. My question (without much research so far) is re funding dollars. I believe this service is currently funded by federal $, and ONTC is strictly provincial$. It may make no difference, it may make a lot.

I have nothing against ONTC running the service, but I am not sure we have been presented with an argument that they will run a better service.

The federal government does provide funding to other railways (not just VIA) for remote services, including privately owned railways in Manitoba and Québec/Labrador. The Algoma Central was also a funded remote service until 2014, when the government pulled funding, claiming that all populated locations along the route had year-round road access.

I’m not sure if the Polar Bear Express gets federal funding or not, though.

The federal government does provide funding to other railways (not just VIA) for remote services, including privately owned railways in Manitoba and Québec/Labrador. The Algoma Central was also a funded remote service until 2014, when the government pulled funding, claiming that all populated locations along the route had year-round road access.

I’m not sure if the Polar Bear Express gets federal funding or not, though.
They do; 365Mn in 2021-22 for "capital-rail operations". I don't know if that is specifically for the PBX, but would assume so due to its FN application. I imagine the federal funding for those other RRs is also directed at FN operated or partnership services.

Edit: On review of their Annual Report, it appears the amount is $365,000.

Last edited:

Back