News   Jul 16, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 278     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

Thank god practices like that are illegal for public servants. They are supposed to look out for the public interests, not play politics. The public interest is best served by negotiating the best contract possible, and that includes minimal penalties to cancel.

Like the contracts negotiated for the cancelled gas plants? What was I thinking!

Just heard a report on the radio that when the cabinet is announced tomorrow Mr. Murray will no longer have transportation as part of his portfolio.

The fund isn't for infrastructure, it's for transportation. Transportation isn't just transit.

Yep...my mistake.

According to the Star Murray moves to Environment and despite a few new cabinet ministers no one gets dumped out of cabinet.

Cabinet will now contain 27 ministers.....so nearly half of the Liberal caucus will be in cabinet.

Those of us who based our vote more on fiscal prudence than other matters will find that to be a bloated cabinet....especially when you read things like:

Murray moves to Environment, taking over for veteran Jim Bradley, who will stick around as minister without portfolio and dispense advice and wisdom in cabinet.

Those of us who based our vote more on fiscal prudence than other matters will find that to be a bloated cabinet....especially when you read things like:

Well, Wynne was a mediator afterall - and clearly she has listened enough to be able to carve a path to victory. Now if only Hudak remembered to inform his fellow MPs in the running that he was going to cut 100K jobs...

AoD

@globeandmail: Steven Del Duca the man behind Queen’s Park’s $15-billion plan http://t.co/nceepng0w2 From @GlobeToronto

Del Duca barely answered a single question in this interview at all. At this rate, I'm missing Glen Murray already.

he answered them exactly as I would expect him to. a lot of those questions simply won't have answers for a while until Metrolinx determines exactly what it is doing with the $15 billion, and has an official cost on GO electrification, which doesn't come until September.

What I get from it is that he isn't really willing to change plans municipally again, that they have changed enough. Makes me think that if Tory gets elected and moves to cancel the LRTs (I think is unlikely, but still possible), the province will simply say no and keep going. Scarborough subway is a bit more complicated given the tri party funding model.

Budget!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ransit-spending-pension-plan/article19601508/

Among other budget-balancing measures, the document hikes income taxes on people making over $150,000 a year and jacks up levies on airplane fuel and tobacco. The budget also promises to hold the line on wage increases in public-sector union contract negotiations, and to find more cuts to program spending. But there are few details on where these cuts will actually be made.

Most of the budget, however, lays out long-term plans for new spending.

It provides for $29-billion in new funds for transit, roads and bridges over the next decade, plus tens of billions more for other capital costs, including schools. The budget puts more than a billion dollars into various social programs, with raises for personal support workers and more funds for programs for people with developmental disabilities.

A new $2.5-billion fund for businesses is meant to help lure corporations to the province and encourage existing operations to expand.

The plan also allocates a billion for a new road or rail link to the Ring of Fire, a Northern Ontario mineral deposit that the government estimates will yield $60-billion worth of economic activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few days later than promised, the Ontario Liberal Government has reintroduced their $130 Billion that triggered last month's election. This includes $29 Billion in new transit funding.

2014 Ontario Budget (Page 48):
The Province will work with municipalities and Metrolinx on how best to prioritize transit investments through the use of rigorous business case analysis. These analysis will help prioritize Next Wave projects that could be accommodated within the Province's dedicated fund for the GTHA and provide the best value for Ontarians.

GO Rail Service Expansion (more two-way, all-day and rush-hour service);
 GO Lakeshore Express Rail Service (including electrification);
 Electrification of the GO Kitchener line and Union Pearson Express;
 Brampton Queen Street Rapid Transit;
 Dundas Street Bus Rapid Transit;
 Durham-Scarborough Bus Rapid Transit;
 Hamilton Rapid Transit;
 Hurontario-Main LRT linking Mississauga and Brampton;
 Relief Line; and
 Yonge North Subway Expansion to York Region.

Of note to Torontonians: the budget has not yet specifically earmarked funds for the Relief Line, though the Liberals have committed to funding the project. This situation remains unchanged from a month ago.

I'm curious to see how much that "rigorous business case analysis" will affect how the $15 Billion is allocated. The OLP has committed to the Relief Line, GO electrification and expanding GO service to Kitchener-Waterloo & Guelph. This won't leave much money left over for any of the other projects on the list above.

Last edited:
A few days later than promised, the Ontario Liberal Government has reintroduced their $130 Billion that triggered last month's election. This includes $29 Billion in new transit funding.

2014 Ontario Budget (Page 48):

Of note to Torontonians: the budget has not yet specifically earmarked funds for the Relief Line, though the Liberals have committed to funding the project. This situation remains unchanged from a month ago.

I'm curious to see how much that "rigorous business case analysis" will affect how the $15 Billion is allocated. The OLP has committed to the Relief Line, GO electrification and expanding GO service to Kitchener-Waterloo & Guelph. This won't leave much money left over for any of the other projects on the list above.

The Yonge North Subway extension could be postponed, still. The funds shifted to a Yonge Relief Line. Depends on what is in their definition of "Expansion", since it is not "Extension".

Back