News   Sep 18, 2024
 290     0 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 426     1 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 764     2 

November 2020 US Election

California is nice to visit but many people there have been moving out due to many issues.

I just spent 2.5 years there on a military exchange. Republicans and conservatives circle jerk this BS about people leaving California to feel better about a lot of their failed states in the Midwest.

You know who is leaving California? The poor. In reality California is gentrifying by taking in the highly educated from all over the country while the less skilled who can't compete in their housing market leave. California has a net gain of six figure earners. If that is "failing", I wish Ontario would fail that way.

Last edited:
It's a Biden/Harris ticket. I'm surprised.

I'm not. She's a nice moderate candidate who has plenty of experience and can be a solid stand in for Biden if necessary.

Then again; with a strong likelihood of a Democratic House again; and maybe a Democratic Senate...........they won't.

Very tough to say.

An African American/Indo American woman is on the ticket. Progressive philosophers who can't deliver votes in the general don't matter. You are about to watch a tsunami of suburban soccer moms and minorities make this woman the Vice President.

If Trump had any sense, he's be announcing Nikki Haley as his running mate next week.

The issue, as it was for Hillary is turn-out.

Left, young, green; the difference-makers.

A lot of swing voters still voted Hillary; but a lot of the younger, Obama and post-Obama Democrats sat on their hands. They didn't switch to Trump, they just stayed home (not voting at all)

Well, actually, turnout in both directions--that is, not just potential Hillary voters sitting on their hands, but an unforeseen spurt of previous nonvoters/infrequent voters going for Trump.

(The Fords had something of that same effect--drawing the votes of the politically bored and clueless by styling themselves as champions of the politically bored and clueless)

I don't think people are truly comprehending how awesome a pick Harris is. Every soccer mom in America sees herself in Kamala Harris.

Well, actually, turnout in both directions--that is, not just potential Hillary voters sitting on their hands, but an unforeseen spurt of previous nonvoters/infrequent voters going for Trump.

(The Fords had something of that same effect--drawing the votes of the politically bored and clueless by styling themselves as champions of the politically bored and clueless)
Don't forget that GamerGaters also voted for Trump (and that demographic primarily consists of young right-wingers obsessed with Western video games, hence their name).

I just spent 2.5 years there on a military exchange. Republicans and conservatives circle jerk this BS about people leaving California to feel better about a lot of their failed states in the Midwest.

You know who is leaving California? The poor. In reality California is gentrifying by taking in the highly educated from all over the country while the less skilled who can't compete in their housing market leave. California has a net gain of six figure earners. If that is "failing", I wish Ontario would fail that way.

So a state becoming so unaffordable for anyone making under 100k is a positive?

I think if the same thing was happening in Ontario it would be seen as bad here in Canada 🇨🇦.

I also spent a lot of time in california and if you are upper middle class or upper class the state is hands down amazing.

If you are poor well oop.

California is like a perfect example of the drastic wealth inequality in the USA.

Its not about bashing the state and I love california and will visit there many more tomes but it is not the utopia as people pretend either.

I would say Colorado and Oregon are much better states for avg person. Washington is good to but Seattle is a mess in traffic and price.

Last edited:
I think if the same thing was happening in Ontario it would be seen as bad here in Canada 🇨🇦.
I also spent a lot of time in california and if you are upper middle class or upper class the state is hands down amazing.
If you are poor well oop.
California is like a perfect example of the drastic wealth inequality in the USA.
The west coast cities seem to be buried in vagrancy, encampments, with the homeless, insane and addicted wandering the streets, obstructing sidewalks, defecating in parks, shooting up in public, etc. All while the police do nothing to enforce the law and retail abandons troubled areas. I was in Seattle and San Francisco in 2019 and both shocked me in their citizen’s and government’s surrender of their public areas to a hoard of what looked like the living dead.

That‘s not to say you can’t be poor in California and still live a decent life. Not everyone is making $100k, there are small towns outside of California’s four largest cities (Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco), where people work in agriculture, small town shops and businesses, same as here in Ontario. For example, here are the houses for sale in Redding, CA, most about the $300K mark. And here are the jobs available in Redding, CA, including a freight supervisor role with benefits and over $50K salary. It's the same as in Ontario, yes if you're an IT or finance star you can afford the big cities like Toronto, but otherwise you need to be willing to move to elsewhere in the province or country to where the jobs are. If I was a young, single Canadian today there's no way I'd be living in a tiny condo in Toronto eking out a living in some cubical downtown. I'd be in the wild country, where salaries can be had, and fresh air and open roads for motorcycling, etc.

Back to California and the US west coast, the zombie-like junkies limping around the major cities, this needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

I would say it's a reflection of a massively booming economy. Interns out of college make 80k in the Bay Area.

Is it ideal, that they have affordability problems with housing? Of course not. But it's a whole lie better than the GTA where housing costs just as much, without their wages.

Interesting electoral calculus. Turns out there's enough Indian-Americans in swing states that a small percentage increase in turn out would have flipped 2016:

Thomas Perez, chair of the Democratic National Committee, on Saturday said that Michigan has 125,000 Indian-American voters.

“We lost Michigan by 10,700 votes in 2016,” he said, referring to the loss of Hillary Clinton, the then Democratic presidential nominee at the hands of President Donald Trump.

“In Pennsylvania, (there are) 156,000 (Indian-American voters). We (Democratic party) lost (presidential elections in) Pennsylvania by 42-43,000 (votes). In Wisconsin (there are) 37,000 (Indian-Americans). We lost Wisconsin by 21,000 (votes) in 2016,” said the head of the Democratic party.

Shekar Narasimhan, chairman of AAPI Victory Fund, said that there are 1.3 million potential Indian-American voters in eight battle ground states of Arizona (66,000), Florida (193,000), Georgia (150,000), Michigan (125,000), North Carolina (111,000), Pennsylvania (156,000), Texas (475,000) and Wisconsin (37,000).

I would say it's a reflection of a massively booming economy. Interns out of college make 80k in the Bay Area.

Is it ideal, that they have affordability problems with housing? Of course not. But it's a whole lie better than the GTA where housing costs just as much, without their wages.
But you don't graduate with 200k of student debt here and the poor are not abandon.

I like California but would never lived there.

From link.

Early Life

Kamala Devi Harris was born on October 20, 1964, in Oakland, California. Reared in a predominantly African American neighborhood of Berkeley, she was brought to civil rights demonstrations as a toddler and sang in a Baptist choir.

Harris' mother, Shyamala, emigrated from India to attend the University of California, Berkeley, where she met Harris' Jamaican-born father, Donald. Shyamala carved out a career as a renowned breast-cancer researcher, while Donald became a Stanford University economics professor. Her mother also ensured that Harris and her younger sister, Maya, maintained ties to their Indian heritage by raising them with Hindu beliefs and taking them to her home country every couple of years.

Harris' parents divorced when she was seven years old, and at age 12 she moved with her mother and sister to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She learned to speak some French during her time in Quebec and demonstrated her burgeoning political instincts by organizing a protest against a building owner who wouldn't allow neighborhood kids to play on the lawn.

Education
Harris attended Westmount High School in Quebec, where she founded a dance troupe with a friend. Returning to the States to enter Howard University in Washington, D.C., she was elected to the liberal arts student council and joined the debate team, en route to a B.A. in political science and economics. Harris then enrolled at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, earning her J.D. in 1989.

Wonder if Kamela Harris speaks French at a higher level than Donald Trump speaking English...

You might not want to live in California. But plenty of people (particularly the well educated and the wealthy) do. Having their lower middle class get displaced is a normal part of gentrification.

Conservatives arguing this is some huge failure is absurd. You won't see them arguing against neighbourhoods gentrifying with wealthy residents or countries that restrict themselves only to migration. I don't see anybody arguing that Rosedale in Toronto is a failed neighbourhood or that Switzerland is a failed state.

Moreover, California is going out of its way to make huge swaths of the state attractive to developers. That is what their High Speed Rail project (opposed by the Trump administration) was about. Enabling business and residents to spread into the interior instead of concentrating on the coasts.

Back