News   Aug 16, 2024
 163     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 305     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 263     0 

November 2020 US Election

I don't know people being homeless while working full time jobs is not common here

Lol
California isn't broken, but its larger cities are. Add onto the high cost of living the perpetual Democratic old-party establishment control of the cities, rampant regulatory/IDPol/NIMBY capture of many institutions, and the barely adequate electrical grid...

Of course, things can still move along by their own momentum giving the perception of strength, until something breaks the facade:
The astronomical cost of owning a home in the San Francisco city limits — which has been sky high for over a decade now, since the second tech boom — had to break at some point, and the coronavirus seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. The pandemic soon led to tech giants like Google, Facebook and Twitter rethinking what work looks like, as many have allowed employees to work remotely for the foreseeable future, and maybe forever.

This, combined with the fact that most entertainment venues, eateries and bars in the city have closed, has given many residents — particularly tech employees and transplants — little reason to stay, when more spacious, literally greener pastures beckon in (relatively) less costly regions in California such as Lake Tahoe or Palm Springs.
Real estate inventory change from February to July 2020, in metro area and city proper.
1200x0.jpg

I visited San Francisco recently before the pandemic hit, and even in its tech glow, there was the uneasy feeling of the dichotomy of the pastel houses and the decay seeping from the Tenderloin.

That being said, if you're lucky enough to find a coastal suburb, the California Dream is still real.

Last edited:
California isn't broken, but its larger cities are. Add onto the high cost of living the perpetual Democratic old-party establishment control of the cities, rampant regulatory/IDPol/NIMBY capture of many institutions, and the barely adequate electrical grid...

Of course, things can still move along by their own momentum giving the perception of strength, until something breaks the facade:

Real estate inventory change from February to July 2020, in metro area and city proper.
1200x0.jpg

I visited San Francisco recently before the pandemic hit, and even in its tech glow, there was the uneasy feeling of the dichotomy of the pastel houses and the decay seeping from the Tenderloin.

That being said, if you're lucky enough to find a coastal suburb, the California Dream is still real.

My point is not to suggest California is a failure.

Its that its not some progressive utopia either.

Like many US States its still a very cruel place to anyone who is poor.

I find the US comes across as very poor when visiting in person.

There is a narrow frame in which you can view and take in the wealthy and elite in the US. That is the frame projected to the rest of the world. The best of everything. It’s just everything outside that narrow frame is mediocre at best.

I find the US comes across as very poor when visiting in person.

There is a narrow frame in which you can view and take in the wealthy and elite in the US. That is the frame projected to the rest of the world. The best of everything. It’s just everything outside that narrow frame is mediocre at best.

I remember driving in LA

I Went from like Grand Theft San Andreas Grove Street place, then a row of homeless tents that makes Toronto's issues look like nothing then an area that looks more like a run-down Mexican city and then some of the nicest ritzy areas I have seen in a city is like less than a 30 min drive.

...and California still practises the death penalty, though last year, Governor Gavin Newsom issued a moratorium on the death penalty; he did not officially abolish it yet.

Nobody has ever claimed it to be so. Conservatives love to build up that strawman though.

Unlike most red states, California offers actual help to their poor residents and has services that can actually make difference. Including on healthcare and postsecondary education. Heck, there's nothing in all of Canada that's close to the quality and universal accessibility of the UC/CSU/CCC systems.

...and California still practises the death penalty, though last year, Governor Gavin Newsom issued a moratorium on the death penalty; he did not officially abolish it yet.

They haven't executed anyone in over a decade. The moratorium is an attempt to de facto abolish the practice, while they work out legislation to do so.

I remember driving in LA

I Went from like Grand Theft San Andreas Grove Street place, then a row of homeless tents that makes Toronto's issues look like nothing then an area that looks more like a run-down Mexican city and then some of the nicest ritzy areas I have seen in a city is like less than a 30 min drive.

Skid Row is a problem in L.A.

Their housing assistance program is similar to ours in terms of waits.

They actually have a shorter wait for public housing.....as little as 2 years..........while waits for 'section 8' which is private housing that accepts government subsidies is in the range of 6 years.

However, their more favourable weather (for outdoor living) tends to reduce shelter usage and make homelessness more visible.

Though we obviously have this issue as well.

Last edited:
Is not true. You need to be a natural born citizen. So born of American parents. Or born on US soil. Ted Cruz was born in Canada. John McCain was born in Panama. Nobody questioned their eligibility for office.
Yes, but my larger point still stands. It creates two classes of citizens. Those that can run for President and those that can't.

The whole country is. That's part of its foundations. The reason you fight so hard to get ahead is a fear of poverty. There is no safety net.

Trump trumps all YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu ads during the DNC:

Trump's YouTube ads can't be skipped. Trump's ad campaign focuses on attacking Biden by using various Red Scare tactics against Biden.

Biden meanwhile has a trick up his sleeve:

Biden's focusing on television (both broadcast and cable, including Fox News), Vevo, Snapchat, Twitch, and various video gaming platforms (such as the PlayStation).

Biden's also doing YouTube and Hulu takeovers like Trump.

Unlike Trump, Biden's ad campaign will be positive.

Last edited:
John McCain was born in Panama. Nobody questioned their eligibility for office.

How quickly we forget. There was a very fierce and almost year-long debate about McCain through 2007 and 2008. The US Senate actually went as far as to pass a resolution (sponsored by then Senators Obama and Clinton, among others) to declare John McCain was a "natural born citizen." They wouldn't be bothered to do that if "nobody questioned it." They even hinged that resolution on the fact that the US military occupied 'Canal Zone' was technically an extension of "American soil," which actually reinforces that whole requirement, strengthening it as a precedent.

Last edited:

Back