News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 891     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

No rain yet since polls were open. The weather was the only thing from stopping an apparent record number of voter participation in this election.

I think Smitherman has the most to gain from a high turn out.

I'm hearing from some young folks I know that they have voted for the first time in a municipal election. And they didn't vote for Ford. They've said all along they don't want Ford, but I didn't know if they would actually get out and vote, and they have, so hooray for them! (and I hope it helps)

I don't have ONE friend voting for Rob Ford. And yes, LOTS of young people my age going out and voting; even people I didn't think would take it so seriously. I'm excited... let's see what happens!

You can feel the tension in the streets today.

Darkstar, Simply Dan and I put out an educational poster on the Smitherman VS Ford Transit Plans. We distributed over 600 posters on Transit City routes that would be cut by Ford.

If 600 posters are viewed by an average of 20 people, that's 12,000 people who now can make an educated choice on which candidate best represents an issue that affects them very directly in their daily commute.

I'm confident that we did our part, above and beyond our 1 vote. My conscious is clear if Ford becomes Mayor and ruins the city's spectacular momentum created over the past 7 years.

Congrats guys. Good work.

I'm hearing from some young folks I know that they have voted for the first time in a municipal election. And they didn't vote for Ford. They've said all along they don't want Ford, but I didn't know if they would actually get out and vote, and they have, so hooray for them! (and I hope it helps)

:)
I sure hope so !!!

I only know one person voting for Ford - a conservative cousin in the 'burbs. All of my friends and acquaintances (or, I should say those who are voting) are voting for Smitherman. All of them, and that's LOTS!

I don't have ONE friend voting for Rob Ford. And yes, LOTS of young people my age going out and voting; even people I didn't think would take it so seriously. I'm excited... let's see what happens!

You can feel the tension in the streets today.

Same here. I work in the nightlife entertainment industry and young people that are completely non-political, many of them traditional cynics against politics -- they're voting in droves!

I sent out a mass text message this morning to about 50 of my contacts (that I know don't usually vote) and I've been getting replies confirming that they're voting.

If it makes you guys feel better - I got 3 (non voters or Pantalone voters) to convert to Smitherman in the last 2 days : ).

Also, many seem to be forgetting the local counselor level - I've got more people to vote our local candidate who's likely not going to side with Ford (not on everything).

Does anyone know if Ford published that list of counselors he supports ? So we can avoid them :)

CTV News at noon, went to a polling station in Scarbourgh and they claim that they couldn't find one single person who voted for Smitherman all morning. Not even one? CTV is so obviously pro-Ford and so is their audience.

Does anyone know if Ford published that list of counselors he supports ? So we can avoid them :)
All I know is that he endorses Mike Yen in Trinity-Spadina but I can't imagine that will hurt Adam Vaughan's chances. :)

CTV News at noon, went to a polling station in Scarbourgh and they claim that they couldn't find one single person who voted for Smitherman all morning. Not even one? CTV is so obviously pro-Ford and so is their audience.

Not really ... that sounds about right to be honest ... I'm still predicting Ford wins by a good 5/10% : ( - time to face facts and prepare for the 4 years ahead.

Hate / Waste - are very powerful - it's very easy to sway people with this and I think Ford succeeded.

Even with that prediction, Smitherman should still be getting at least one out of every three votes, so it does seem strange that they couldn't find a single non-Ford voter. Granted, Ford will likely do better in the suburbs but it still sounds unlikely.

In this spirit of today, I figured I would share this quote with you. It pretty much sums up why Rob Ford has as much support as he does:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Mayors' choice for Mayor: Art Eggleton, David Crombie, Barbara Hall and John Sewell, all voting for Smitherman, Their choices in the final 2 minutes of the video.

[video=youtube;8EUTBhIZRTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUTBhIZRTk[/video]

Crombie doesn't reveal who he's voting for but after this was filmed, he publicly endorsed Smitherman.

Back