News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 653     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 992     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I dunno, I think the support still breaks out pretty close to the 2003 Miller/Tory election.. except for Pantalone getting in the way of some wards... which still could be an upset for Ford.
Torontowards_-_2003.PNG

Not really ... that sounds about right to be honest ... I'm still predicting Ford wins by a good 5/10% : ( - time to face facts and prepare for the 4 years ahead.

Hate / Waste - are very powerful - it's very easy to sway people with this and I think Ford succeeded.

5 or 10% would floor me. I'm sticking with my prediction of Smitherman by ~2 points. I don't see either candidate winning by more than one or two percentage points when all is said and done.

My other prediction: In the event Ford wins, when he's asked if he is concerned about being the mayor of a city divided, he'll simply say 'No.'

A friend helping out Adam Vaughan in Ward 20 told me that an informal poll put his support @ over 70%. Will Adam's constituents also vote for his endorsement? If so, Smitherman is gonna have a big win in Trinity-Spadina, a very dense ward.

A friend helping out Adam Vaughan in Ward 20 told me that an informal poll put his support @ over 70%. Will Adam's constituents also vote for his endorsement? If so, Smitherman is gonna have a big win in Trinity-Spadina, a very dense ward.

FWIW, Smitherman signs in TS outnumber Pantalone and Ford by about 10:3:1.

I dunno, I think the support still breaks out pretty close to the 2003 Miller/Tory election.. except for Pantalone getting in the way of some wards... which still could be an upset for Ford.
Torontowards_-_2003.PNG

I'm not so much concerned with Miller wards turning in to Ford wins. I'm worried about Ford exclusively reaping the full value of votes in Tory wards and Smitherman having to share the others with Pantalone. Nunziata had a negligible influence in 2003.

I'm not so much concerned with Miller wards turning in to Ford wins. I'm worried about Ford exclusively reaping the full value of votes in Tory wards and Smitherman having to share the others with Pantalone. Nunziata had a negligible influence in 2003.

We should just be happy that this isn't a US electoral college-style system, and that the votes are counted city-wide. Any such system would no doubt favour the suburbs, and would have handed Ford the victory long ago.

The early numbers I'm going to be watching very closely are Joe Pantalone's. If he gets anything significant, it's over for Smitherman. The progressive's only hope is that people change their mind about voting for Joe and cast it in fear of Ford instead. I'm reading some Tweets from staunch @j_pantalone supporters that they had a change of heart in the voting booth.

We all have those gabe. I spoke to a bunch today and they're dismissive. They don't correlate the Mayor and City Council to their daily lives, even though all their complaints about the city are directly affected by the makeup of City Hall.

Just voted for Joe, so my conscience is clear that I didn't vote for either of the unqualified candidates.

I got that call. Gravy train! boondoggle! ehealth! I also got a call from Smitherman, all it said was your polling station is xyz, please remember to vote.

Both calls pretty much sum up the candidates.

Ford = Anger, everything is wrong, I'm the only one you can trust.

Smitherman = your a citizen of this city, go exercise your right to vote.

Dad always said, "never trust someone who says, Trust me" Dad was right. I wouldn't trust Ford as far as I could throw him.
My Ford call yesterday was from a staffer instead of Ford (bad move), but the message itself was positive and informative I have to admit. There was some pimping for Ford but most of the call was about urging people to come out and offering to help people vote.

My Smitherman call was from him, but the message was very sophomoric. Using the "I have a plan" line made him sound like Chretien waving around his Red Book, and too much of the call was about stopping Ford. The fear-mongering tone was overkill.

Last edited:
The machine that scanned my ballot said I was the 294th voter thus far at that polling station. I think voting numbers are going to be way up throughout the city - too bad the candidates are so weak.

I stopped by my work place on my way home and every single person I talked to said they were voting for Ford. The most common reason? Because Smitherman is gay...

What I don't get about diehard Joe supporters is this: if you want to ignore strategic voting and go with your heart, why not support a more progressive candidate like Himy Syed?

I really find it hard to believe people would say that outright less there closet friends / family ... i.e. a co-worker (unless very very close) isn't going to say that ... at least I would think so.

The machine that scanned my ballot said I was the 294th voter thus far at that polling station. I think voting numbers are going to be way up throughout the city - too bad the candidates are so weak.

I stopped by my work place on my way home and every single person I talked to said they were voting for Ford. The most common reason? Because Smitherman is gay...

Where the hell do you work? Church? Mosque? Headquarters of The Score? Deco Labels?

Back