News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 574     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I
On another front, Darkstar and I started an initiative to contrast Rob Ford's lack of transit planning to the extended Transit City by George Smitherman. We're confident that commuters will see the clear choice when shown the options.

You can join the Facebook group here: Facebook.com/ChooseYourToronto

I have seen three versions of this transit plan comparison. The first version had Ford 2015 plan contrasted with Smithermans 2020. The second version I saw (not on this site) the numbers had been changed to both to "2015" Now in this latest graphic both plans are for 2020 (I guess someone realized Smithermans plan could not be accomplished in 5 years).

Something fishy seems to be going on here.

Hey lunatic...

following specific, identifiable criticism of Ford, you said:
Wait for all the facts to come in before condemning Rob Ford.

following poorly cited criticism of Smitherman, that you brought up, you said:
Something fishy seems to be going on here.

(I guess someone realized Smithermans plan could not be accomplished in 5 years).

And you think Ford's will? The Spadina extension was funded when, 2006? 2007? And it's not expected to be completed until 2018. Ford has no funding for his plan, and even if it were to be funded - following a scrapping of TC - no assessments or realistic estimations have taken place. And if Hudak wins, I'd be surprised if the idea ever gets off the ground. 2015 is laughable.

Hey, didn't somebody say there was a new survey coming out today? (Saturday) Where is it? Speaking of where is it, where is Urban Shocker? Usually that guy has all kinds of opinions but in the politics thread, not a peep. I'm surprised. I guess he's too busy with the architecture/urban design threads.

And you think Ford's will? The Spadina extension was funded when, 2006? 2007? And it's not expected to be completed until 2018. Ford has no funding for his plan, and even if it were to be funded - following a scrapping of TC - no assessments or realistic estimations have taken place. And if Hudak wins, I'd be surprised if the idea ever gets off the ground. 2015 is laughable.

Your missing the point. There have been three versions of this graphic floating around. The first one posted on here compared Fords 2015 plan with a much more ambitious 2020 plan from Smitherman (if you look a few pages back Urbandreamer asks "where is Smithermans 2015 plan"). Because of the 5 year difference any comparison was meaningless. Now the dates have both been changed to 2020.

Your missing the point. There have been three versions of this graphic floating around. The first one posted on here compared Fords 2015 plan with a much more ambitious 2020 plan from Smitherman (if you look a few pages back Urbandreamer asks "where is Smithermans 2015 plan"). Because of the 5 year difference any comparison was meaningless. Now the dates have both been changed to 2020.

because rob ford's nothing in 2015, is still nothing in 2020.. both were re-branded as 2020.

Last edited:
Again, speaking out of your ass. Do you realize how much of a joke come across as when you speak on a subject you know nothing about? They're different plans. The 2020 has the Finch LRT, Sheppard west extension, Bloor-Danforth
Extension and Scarborough subway.

I'm glad that the maps reached you anyway.

Again, speaking out of your ass. Do you realize how much of a joke come across as when you speak on a subject you know nothing about? They're different plans. The 2020 has the Finch LRT, Sheppard west extension, Bloor-Danforth
Extension and Scarborough subway.

I'm glad that the maps reached you anyway.

The Finch LRT is part of Smithermans plan which was originally shown as 2020 then changed to 2015 and is now 2020 again. Rob Fords plan had a different time frame 2015 but someone changed the graphic to 2020 (I guess for the sake of symmetry) Is it an actual fact that Ford has no expansion planned for the years 2015-2020?

Ford has stated no plans for transit expansion beyond his 2015 plan. And of that plan he's said he simply won't build any of it if the province refuses to reallocate their funding.

I don't really see that it matters that there were earlier drafts of the graphic - it's an accurate comparison between the transit platforms released by both candidates.

Ford has stated no plans for transit expansion beyond his 2015 plan. And of that plan he's said he simply won't build any of it if the province refuses to reallocate their funding.

Beyond that, there's no credible person who will tell you that Ford's plan can even be completed by 2015. Heck, the York University line had its EA, stations designed, tunnel boring machines ordered, and still will only barely be completed by 2015. In comparison, relatively NOTHING has been done for Ford's planned Scarborough subway or Sheppard extension.

His platform is not based in reality whatsoever.

Smitherman's platform for 2015 shows the subway to Vaughan (he shows York U, since Vaughan is outside of Toronto), and the Portland's LRT. The Eglinton line, by then well into construction, won't be completed until well after 2015. But hey, realistic timeframes.

In comparison, Rob Ford's subway platform is minimal, and his unrealistic timeframe suggests he doesn't truly take the issue all that seriously and didn't plan it out.

I have spoken with George Smitherman on many occasions. I know a lot of us have talked about the limitations of his transit plan, and in particular the omission of the DRL. George specifically stated that the main point of his transit plan is to connect this often divided city. Despite being a downtown Toronto candidate, he isn't running as one.

I hope that Smitherman is wearing a Depends diaper on Monday for when the election results start rolling in sometime after 8:00PM

After Monday he will find out what a grade 10 education gets you in the real world.

Last edited:

Back