News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 917     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

If outmoded terms are considered racist, what about these guys....?
No one has claimed that using outmoded terms of a race are, in itself, racist.

Why are you avoiding the content of his words, and simply focusing on the words themselves, which are only ignorant, rather than racist?

Isn't it the law that you have to be given reasonable time off work to go vote? If I weren't self employed, I would take advantage of that for sure.
Yes, 3 hours. So get off work at 5 ... get home at 6 ... which is when polls are busy. Not saying it's impossible ... just that it's not convenient ... eat straight away or go to polls for an hour ... or wait until 7 pm when line-up may be even worse.

Man, Minister of Health is a sucker gig, isn't it? No one can come out of that position looking great.
Agreed ... though notwithstanding the electronic health stuff, Smitherman came out better than some, especially as he lasted MUCH longer in the role than anyone else recently.

Look at Flaherty and Witmer. What's their legacy? Bed closings, waiting lines, and patient deaths ... not to mention eHealth was conceived on their watch.

I think that if you're in line to vote, they have to let you vote, even if it's after 8.
Hopefully those running the line think that too! :)

Oh, I know that you can vote ... I just prefer the 5-minute effort early in the day or at the advance poll ... than standing their for 1-hour+ , hungry, and tired.

Not that it will change me actually voting ... the only election I've ever missed in my life was because I had to leave the country suddenly because of a death in the family ... and even then I tried to see if they could mail me a ballot, but it was too late. Must have been fate ... I'd made up my mind to vote Tory!

I'm going to write to the CRTC about this.

Who else do you write? The city's integrity comissioner must be sick of Ford by now. Human rights tribunal?

We've seen time and again the man has no ethics.

write some newspapers fast. this is something that should be in tomorrow's papers before the election is over.

^ I'm pretty sure that's what Ford wants: to make this election about George's homosexuality. Whether we like it or not, a lot of people are still homophobic and thankfully that hasn't come up much in this election. The reality is many people don't know that he is gay and many would not vote for him if they knew.

^ I'm pretty sure that's what Ford wants: to make this election about George's homosexuality. Whether we like it or not, a lot of people are still homophobic and thankfully that hasn't come up much in this election. The reality is many people don't know that he is gay and many would not vote for him if they knew.

i think you could have a point there.

$12,000 is just a very tiny tip of the ICEBERG . The waste at city hall is sickening. We have, for example, Adam Vaughans (who I HOPE gets kicked out) Peter Street homeless shelter where the cost per BED - $250,000 - could buy each homeless resident a Luxury Condo!

Okay, so that will balance the budget? That won't even come close to off-seting the cost of streetcar removal and subsequent employment increases due to the three busses replace each car.

Good luck with Adam Vaughan, he's going to win with an overwhelming majority.

Whenever these threads drift into exclusive back-and-forth transit-plan talk, my eyes cloud.

I think you might be right. Just yesterday, I went to film the Zombie Walk and on the way home I stopped off at honest Ed's. At the cash, there were a few zombies in line ahead of me. Then when I got to the front the cashier said to me, those people are so weird, I would never do that. When I said it's all just in fun, she said she thinks it's wrong and maybe it's because she is not from here. In her country, they don't allow things like that or HOMOSEXUALITY! I asked her what country she's from and she told me Portugal. When I told her I was gay and spent time in Portugal and had no problems at all, including finding gay bars, she looked kind of surprised. She said she didn't know Portugal had gay bars. lol Then she very quickly changed the topic.

How she went from talking about Zombies to homosexuals is beyond me but my perception is, a high percentage of people born in foreign countries, are not comfortable with gays. I was once taking a French course, with many foreign born students and I heard some very scary things. Nobody knew I was gay, so they didn't sugar coat their views. It was kinda scary. My point is, to bring more attention to Smitherman's homosexuality, might not help him much, especially in the immigrant community.

I agree that the Tamil ad was homophobic and DEPLORIBLE! I would hate to see that redneck become mayor. I saw a sign at the Zombie Walk that read "Ford Needs BRRAAAINS. (seriously)". lol I agree!!!

Last edited:

Back