News   Jul 23, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 571     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.7K     3 

Mississauga (non-mall) Retail

New restaurant on Enfield Place across the street from Kariya Park. This one might have a chance being that more people are moving into the area; the menu looks promising...there is going to be an outdoor patio.

http://www.earthmississauga.com/Home/tabid/13044/Default.aspx

20101016005.jpg

20101016004.jpg

Ed Ho pulls out of plans to start an Earth 2 restauarant in Mississauga

After many months of demolition and construction, and many dollars spent, restaurateur Ed Ho (of Globe Bistro and Earth) is walking away from his ambitious Earth 2 project in Mississauga. For now, Ho isn’t saying much, lest the lawyers become involved, but it seems he and his financiers could not see eye to eye, disagreeing on the direction of the project, and other deal-breaking details. “I can’t compromise to make a new partner happy,†Ho explained. “And I am not in this for the money. I left Bay Street for the love of this.â€

“This,†of course, is the restaurant business—particularly the farm-to-fork ethos that Ho and chef Kevin McKenna were poised to bring to the ’burbs in a big way. The space, a former Lone Star Grill near Square One, would have seated 250 inside, with about half as many more on the patio.

While Ho laments the end of his involvement, he remains mum on whether the project will continue without him and McKenna. “It’s a shame because I was very optimistic, and I grew to love Mississauga, the city and the people. People in the area were very excited about the project, too. Everyone who poured a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the project is disappointed, but I learned a lot.†And as for the future? “I always have something up my sleeve. But I’m smarting a bit right now.â€

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...arth-2-restauarant-in-mississauga/#more-49965

^sucks big time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..Now I know why those Suits were meandering about a few weeks back...

Perhaps we will now see some serious renovations

http://www.mississauga.com/news/business/article/921338--erin-mills-mall-sold

Joseph Chin|Dec 23, 2010 - 3:45 PM

Erin Mills mall sold
Erin Mills Town Centre has been sold for $370 million to the Ontario Pension Board, it was reported today by several business publications.
The 911,150-sq.-ft. mall, situated at the corner of Erin Mills Pkwy. and Eglinton Ave., was previously owned by Cadillac Fairview – the real estate arm of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan – and Erin Mills Development Corp. Both had an equal interest in the mall.

jchin@mississauga.net

The Ontario Pension board eh? They're loaded (16 billion in assets).

So as you say, hopefully a nice 'spruce-up' of the mall is due in the new year.

If you saw my post in the other thread, almost all of 20 VICs other malls have been renovated in the late 2000s.

Although I suppose someone could contact Jim Hedrich jhedrich@20vic.com (416) 681-9043 and ask him.

It's a lot more than that. Their assets were worth almost $100 billion last year and that doesn't include $13 billion in investment income and teachers contributions in the last fiscal year.

Isnt he talking about the Ontario Pension Board and you the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan?

Isnt he talking about the Ontario Pension Board and you the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan?

One pension plan sold to another and I misread his post. OTOH, they aren't very loaded compared to the pension plan from which they bought the mall.

Re: The new Oceans...

Yes, based on someone's else first impressions. I'll go there myself eventually and see for myself.

Not sure if you've had a chance to shop there yet but it has become my favourite Mississauga supermarket. The selection of most things is as good or better than T&T and the prices for prepared foods are fantastic. Parking is always much better than T & T (fewer bottlenecks in the lot) and the cashiers move much quicker.

One pension plan sold to another and I misread his post. OTOH, they aren't very loaded compared to the pension plan from which they bought the mall.

Quite true, but it seemed that the Teachers Union (Cadillac Fairview) wasn't all too willing to invest in the mall which is obviously key to renovating it... I suppose they may have been too busy doing up Eaton Centre.

Also keep in mind that the Teachers Union owns Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment - and they dont' invest well in any of their teams.

Got to say there are some really interesting / entertaining (far fledged) predictions being made on some very arbitrary points :)

Hey, leafs may win two in a row - they'd have enough then ;)

Also keep in mind that the Teachers Union owns Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment - and they dont' invest well in any of their teams.

What should they be investing? All three teams (I don't include the Marlies in this discussion) are subject to a salary cap and all three teams spend at or very close to the cap limit. The hockey and basketball teams both hired pretty high status people to run their franchises, too. All of them play in facilities that are fairly new and they spent a fair bit recently to upgrade BMO, a facility they don't even own. The teams have all been failures in recent years but that certainly isn't the result of a lack of spending.

Back