News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 879     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I never realized this carving of the airplane on the south side outside wall of the Air Canada Centre was of a specific aircraft; right down to its name and registration number.

'Canopus, registration G-ADHL'

P4053023_zps72a3a7b6.jpg

http://www.airwaveyachts.com.au/Aircraft/c_class.html

Time for a reunion!

TNWoburnSchool50years2013_zps7f87ba5a.jpg

"In 1863, a brick school was built on the site where the frame building had stood. ... but by 1963 extensive repairs were needed. Finally, just before the new Woburn C.I. was opened, the old school was demolished. During the demolition the 1863 date stone was discovered to be, in fact, a tombstone for Thomas Hubbard, who died in 1850. It is believed that a stonemason made an error on the tombstone and then decided to use the other side as a datestone for a cost-conscious school board."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woburn_Collegiate_Institute

Slap me if i put this in the wrong place.

I have been lurking for about a year and love the pictures posted here.

I have a request if possible. I would love to see a now and then done for 1681 Eglintone ave e (ParkwayHonda).

It used to be an old Esso station. Years ago during renos i found some old posters that were dropped behind a breaker panel. The posters are long gone and were only for some sales that were running sometime in the early 60's. I and looking for pictures of that Esso station.

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...04&bCachable=1&MenuName=Public+Keyword+Search

Hi dazed,

No slaps, I'm not into that, but I entered 'Eglinton East' into the above and there are just too many results for me to go through. If you have patience and time...

Last edited:

Attachments

• canopus2.jpg
    canopus2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 626
P4053024_zps534fcff6.jpg

And so, dear UT-ers, there is another carving, this time of a steamship, on the side of the ACC.

After some time spent on the web trying to see if someone had figured out the name of this vessel, with no luck; I then Googled 'CP steamships' and started looking at pictures.

Still no luck.

I did however come across this wonderful Globe and Mail article about the S.S. Keewatin; a still existing 1907 Great Lakes CP steamship. Click below for some great pictures of a nautical time capsule.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report...he-great-lakes/article4545641/?service=mobile

Could it be the left panel is a reproduction, the right panel original? Or the other way round maybe. On the positive side, the repro work was done by the original artist's son, and using the original limestone.

From the Star (2000):

According to Temporale, things hit rock bottom when the arena was washed in anticipation of the National Hockey League all-star game last winter. As he explains it, the porous limestone panels absorbed water, which then froze, causing extensive damage.

"No one's done any protective work," Temporale laments. "It's pretty sad. It gets me very upset. . . . It had to get to the point where now I have to do something I didn't want to do - recarve."

That's why Temporale has spent the last few weeks on a scaffolding erected at the south end of the Air Canada Centre. With his tiny diamond-bit drill, he is busy reworking the pitted surface, trying to return it to a semblance of its original condition.

His main concern is the magnificent sculpted steamship that has clearly been seriously eroded. The exquisite detailing - ropes, portholes, rigging - is fast disappearing. In spots, the surface can be rubbed away by hand.

Temporale says he has no choice but to remove more of the surface and dig down deeper into the panel, which was once 24 centimetres thick but now only half that.

"I'll keep the boat as close as possible to the original, but it's no longer a matter of just a touch-up. The clouds will have to be reversed, for example, so they'll curve in instead of out. You have no choice. Same thing with the boat, none of it will be original."

Back