News   May 08, 2024
 175     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 595     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 505     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hello
I grew up in North york and remeber many of the stores and buildings.
Give me a buzz
kenk1939

Lay it upon us, Kenk, we're all ears. :) I'm personally curious if you remember much about the old one-lane Lawrence Avenue bridge over the Don where the DVP is now, the end of Woodbine north of there, and work around Leslie and Sheppard in the mid-60s, if you're old enough to have been around for any of that. :)

The TPL site has a couple of good photos of the bridge, hard right and hill (1954 and 1958)

View attachment 11817View attachment 11818

Hadn't seen those shots before... good find! The more time goes by, the more amazed I am they kept that bridge and it's still around today. Kind of a shame it doesn't really afford much of a chance to really go anywhere anymore but at least it's still around... and driveable!

The ESSO station with the Imperial Oil complex behind is priceless!
Phlico, yes nice. Ortho was north of the tracks, North of Gestetner. Third photo down, original post.
And wow, Mony was before IOF!
Anyone remember the Latin Quarter!
Ortho is still still there (owned by Johnson&Johnson now). Dominion rubber was replaced by the Morneu Shepell buildings.

Thanks, Lone. I had not seen those before - all in preparation for the widening of Don Mills Rd. I expect.

Here's another early (1953) scene of Don Mills Rd.

TNDonMillsRdbridgeNofLawrence1953_zpsd1f6bde2.jpg
I have a Navigon GPS unit that thinks there is no way to cross these tracks!

Philco is now Swiss Chalet and several other restaurants and stores, including Tilly.

Ah, I was trying to place all that. :) It's surprising how much the descent to the RR underpass throws me off in trying to work all that out.

Photo by Ted Chirnside from over 50 years ago... (TPL digital archives)

2001-2-294Chirnsidephotomodernupdate_zps4e54be00.jpg

9 months later and am unsure if anyone else attempted, but I'll see what I can do

The building was once a synagogue.

The first sign says something along the lines of:

1st line
L'Zichron Olam (lit. To Remember/Commemorate the World), probably the name of the synagogue

The Second line is a name, Rabbi Moshe the son of Rabbi Elimelech

The third line is incomprehensible to me. A name? Yiddish?

The 4th line says "Heitzivu", which I don't understand, but then it and the 5th line go on to say "The cornerstone of this synagogue"

The second sign is similar, only it gives a different name and the third line (which I again don't understand) differs as well.

9 months later and am unsure if anyone else attempted, but I'll see what I can do

The building was once a synagogue.

The first sign says something along the lines of:

1st line
L'Zichron Olam (lit. To Remember/Commemorate the World), probably the name of the synagogue

The Second line is a name, Rabbi Moshe the son of Rabbi Elimelech

The third line is incomprehensible to me. A name? Yiddish?

The 4th line says "Heitzivu", which I don't understand, but then it and the 5th line go on to say "The cornerstone of this synagogue"

The second sign is similar, only it gives a different name and the third line (which I again don't understand) differs as well.

Hi moe45673,

No one else has attempted. Thanks much.

It boggles my mind again that owners up to the present have seen fit to preserve these two signs.

Then and Now for April 4, 2013.

Then. 'Vacant Building. NE corner Simcoe and King c1919.' Another slice of life from early Toronto.

1045.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1046.jpg

Then. 'Vacant Building. NE corner Simcoe and King c1919.' Another slice of life from early Toronto.

And that would have been the "Damnation" of the "Legislation, Salvation, Education, Damnation" intersection.

1045.jpg

Oh, I say!
"A musical comedy in three acts," originally produced on Broadway in 1913 by Messrs. Lee and J. J. Shubert. Music by Jerome D. Kern.

P.S. With that sort of info, I feel just like JT!

Last edited:

Back