News   May 07, 2024
 492     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 439     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 916     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

What saddens me is I remember seeing marketing like that as a child in the 80s and that it lasted so long, and now it's mostly gone in the way of technological progress and flashier ways to get the word out. Only folks without the funds (like those in the indie scene) still advertise like that but it's not the same as when the big boys do it

And that would have been the "Damnation" of the "Legislation, Salvation, Education, Damnation" intersection.

20121013-KingSimcoe-Goads.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/10/a_brief_history_of_the_four_corners_of_king_and_simcoe/

Attachments

• 20121013-KingSimcoe-Goads.jpg
    20121013-KingSimcoe-Goads.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 660
Then and Now for April 5, 2013.

Then. 'Richard Harper house.' SE corner Simcoe and Queen. Built 1855; the picture might be 1880's-ish? There is already a streetcar track in the middle of a not yet paved Queen street.

1085a1855HarperRichardhouseQueenStWsecorSimcoeSt.jpg

1923. Still there.

1047queenandsimcoeoldhouse12191923.jpg

1951. Yep, still there. But soon to come down in 1954.

1086.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1087.jpg

Then and Now for April 3, 2013.

Then. Betz's hotel. Esplanade and Front. c1866. This is a very old image.

1043BetzHotelatthecornerofEsplanadeandSimcoestreets1866.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1044.jpg

The Ontario archives say Betz's Hotel was at Esplanade and Simcoe (which is where your 'then' photo is taken, but just south of Front) but I can't find a map old enough to show it. How did you work this one out?

The Ontario archives say Betz's Hotel was at Esplanade and Simcoe (which is where your 'then' photo is taken, but just south of Front) but I can't find a map old enough to show it.

Built in 1861, so too late for the 1858 Boulton Atlas. Moved circa 1872, so it would appear at York & Wellington (NW) on the 1880 Goad’s.

BookReaderImages.php

Toronto is blessed with a downtown airport!

TNIslandAirport-7views_zps80fb1a5d.jpg

Oops! I expected larger images.

REPLAY

TNIslandAirport-7views2_zps0fb8c7ee.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, wwwebster.

Something of an aside for the car nerds among us (plus city history content, I promise!) - while searching for images of the Esplanade, I found this:

A public fountain AND a Hillman Minx Mark III!

I think this MAY be the horse trough and drinking fountain now on King Street at St James Park. This was apparently relocated there 'from the area".

"I think this MAY be the horse trough and drinking fountain now on King Street at St James Park. This was apparently relocated there 'from the area"."
QUOTE: DSC.

Or from the west side of Jarvis below King.

Regards,
J T

Slap me if i put this in the wrong place.

I have been lurking for about a year and love the pictures posted here.

I have a request if possible. I would love to see a now and then done for 1681 Eglintone ave e (ParkwayHonda).

It used to be an old Esso station. Years ago during renos i found some old posters that were dropped behind a breaker panel. The posters are long gone and were only for some sales that were running sometime in the early 60's. I and looking for pictures of that Esso station.

The Ontario archives say Betz's Hotel was at Esplanade and Simcoe (which is where your 'then' photo is taken, but just south of Front) but I can't find a map old enough to show it. How did you work this one out?

It was my hunch/guesstimate where the Now location might be.

On hindsight, I perhaps should have been maybe 80 feet further south.

Here's a new Now picture. :)

P4053051_zps47af1f12.jpg

Back