News   May 07, 2024
 473     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 425     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 910     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Could it be the left panel is a reproduction, the right panel original? Or the other way round maybe. On the positive side, the repro work was done by the original artist's son, and using the original limestone.

From the Star (2000):

Thank you k10ery.

There isn't much on the internet about the son, Louis Temporale, jr. Fascinating; he's almost like a ghost.

An early street in East York;

TNAldwychEfromWoodycrestc1919_zpsc011242c.jpg

The farm on the right... I wonder if the original homestead is still there in the neighbourhood?

Then and Now for April 8, 2013.

Then. June 7, 1911. See the date sign in the middle of the road. Who knew how useful that would be to future generations? Adelaide looking E from Simcoe.

1049.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1050.jpg

Amazing changes to Adelaide - almost as radical as the changes to Aldwych Ave.
Mustapha, Thanks for that question regarding the old farm on Aldwych - I must check-it-out when I'm next in the neighbourhood.

An early street in East York;

TNAldwychEfromWoodycrestc1919_zpsc011242c.jpg

I have a friend who lives in East York who's fond of remarking how the houses in the neighbourhood kind of grew up piecemeal from the truck farms that used to be in the area, and boy, it doesn't get much plainer than the comparison shown here. Delightful to see some of the same houses still on the left hand side of the view. Nice work, Goldie. :)

Then. June 7, 1911. See the date sign in the middle of the road. Who knew how useful that would be to future generations? Adelaide looking E from Simcoe.

1049.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1050.jpg

What I really enjoy about this comparison is that there don't seem to be streetcar tracks in the 1911 view, and there are in the 2012 view. Usually these comparison views show just the reverse. It's a refreshing change. :)

"Was there not one at Victoria Pk. and Sheppard as well? The name of that one escapes me, a few other names for the memories, TeePee, Parkway, 400, and the 7&27."
QUOTE: mattelderca

The first three Drive - in Theatres (1951) within what is now The GTA:

AGINCOURT:
North East, 750 capacity, Park Drive - in Theatres Ltd.

MALTON:
North West, 900 capacity, Park Drive - in Theatres Ltd.

TORONTO:
Dufferin, 990 capacity, Dufferin Drive - in Theatres Ltd.

Regards,
J T

4635566210_af76b05da4_b.jpg

Thanks to Lone Primate for the photo

The interesting thing for me is that this is the road I drove down to buy my first "real" modern computer, a 486, in 1994. It was long before I moved to the vicinity, and much longer still before I ever learned that had once been the site of a drive-in, and the entrance to it, too. This pair of photos is kind of special to me. :)

1049.jpg

Could these be the same buildings in the middle about to be demolished for the University Avenue Extension (1930)?

adelaideuniversity.jpg

Attachments

• adelaideuniversity.jpg
    adelaideuniversity.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:
"Could these be the same buildings in the middle about to be demolished for the University Avenue Extension (1930)?"
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

A keen eye as always.

Regards,
J T

"Could these be the same buildings in the middle about to be demolished for the University Avenue Extension (1930)?"
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

A keen eye as always.

Regards,
J T

Thanks, JT! Just as a side note to the 1930 pic of those forlorn buildings about to be demolished for the University Avenue extension are the following two interesting pics, showing the buildings on the north side of Adelaide, also about to go:

e8c9dbbbf1bffada64f1b519deee3cfb.jpg

32963b970c1dab293257b6476cedd5fc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, JT! Just as a side note to the 1930 pic of those forlorn buildings about to be demolished for the University Avenue extension are the following two interesting pics, showing the buildings on the north side of Adelaide, also about to go:

32963b970c1dab293257b6476cedd5fc.jpg

To think that we even made brushes and brooms locally...

Back