News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 931     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for April 10, 2013.

Then. Campbell House Move. Friday March 31, 1972. It was a big deal that day to come downtown to watch. Also interesting in this picture is the back of the Supreme Court of Ontario building (it faced onto Queen); where the Four Seasons Centre is located now.

1053.jpg

Now. September 2012. The public street clock on the right in both views... I just had a feeling it originally had a clock face. The clock face is now inelegantly filled in with some white panels and there is a red coloured 'LED' type clock panel affixed underneath it.

1054.jpg

http://www.campbellhousemuseum.ca/themove.htm

Given that 1972 was also the year that Olympia and York announced the construction of First Canadian Place and the demolition of the Toronto Star Building, the Globe and Mail Building and the old Bank of Montreal, the moving of Campbell House was seen as a progressive gesture for heritage. However, what was lost was its historical context in the old Town of York at the head of Frederick Street (which once had a view of the lake), and the impact that its restoration in situ could have had in the neighbourhood. I've also always felt that its current location was all wrong in terms of its immediate context, particularly the scale of the surrounding buildings and University Avenue. In the end, I'm glad the house was saved, but it is our own urban version of Pioneer Village.

6-restore-campbell-house-toronto.jpg

pictures-r-3000.jpg

campbell house.jpg

Attachments

• 6-restore-campbell-house-toronto.jpg
    6-restore-campbell-house-toronto.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 658
  • campbell house.jpg
    campbell house.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 822
  • pictures-r-3000.jpg
    pictures-r-3000.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
For Goldie, and other fans of aerial photos:

Aerial Photographs of Valley Lands (Toronto)
Downloadable in jpeg format. The overlays work better in Google Earth.

How does this work? Every time I click on a layer, I get this kind of guff:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /datapub/toronto/ValleyLands1937_42/s0097_fl0013_id0007.zip on this server.

For Goldie, and other fans of aerial photos:

Aerial Photographs of Valley Lands (Toronto)
Downloadable in jpeg format. The overlays work better in Google Earth.
that has gots to be the most unfriendly interface i have ever experienced

first of all, i have to turn off the overlays in order to see the underlying map, and to zoom in on the area i'm interested in

but when i turn the overlay back on, it zooms out to the larger GTA

and even if i click on one of those pastel rectangles, all i'm offered is a zip file, not a jpeg

HASHTAG FAIL

I agree that it's frustrating to use. When I click on a rectangle, a folder is downloaded with three unreadable files (Unix Executable File??) and a jpg. It's pretty well guesswork figuring out the rectangle that has the info I want; it helps to compare the aerials to Google maps (satellite view) to figure out where you are... but well worth it in the end!

Given that 1972 was also the year that Olympia and York announced the construction of First Canadian Place and the demolition of the Toronto Star Building, the Globe and Mail Building and the old Bank of Montreal, the moving of Campbell House was seen as a progressive gesture for heritage. However, what was lost was its historical context in the old Town of York at the head of Frederick Street (which once had a view of the lake), and the impact that its restoration in situ could have had in the neighbourhood. I've also always felt that its current location was all wrong in terms of its immediate context, particularly the scale of the surrounding buildings and University Avenue. In the end, I'm glad the house was saved, but it is our own urban version of Pioneer Village.

And, in that vein, they were advertising a period dinner evening awhileback. We did Chinese instead; the missus hasn't much imagination.

View attachment 12162

Incredibly,... Capewell Horse Nails is still trading.

http://www.capewellhorsenails.com/

View attachment 12161

Here's the 'Then' for Campbell House's original location. I forgot to include it yesterday.

1055adelaideattopoffrederick.jpg

Then and Now for April 11, 2013.

Then. Loretto Abbey. Wellington St. W. 1865 - 1930.

1056.jpg

July 10, 1923. I'm thinking this image is reversed; note the number bottom right...

1056alorettoabbeyjul101923403wellingtonwwofspadinasside.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1057.jpg

Thanks nostalgic and Anna for all that useful info.

I now have a better 'lay-of-the-land' and recall my early days at that very farmhouse.
As a youth, my friends and I often went for hikes up Don Mills Rd. from our homes on Donlands Ave.
That would be during the late 1940s.
I recall that we once stopped at a water pump outside that farmhouse to fill our canteens.
That farm was still there when IBM built across the road in 1951/54.

Donlands2_zpsc5800781.jpg

The same farmhouse facing IBM when it built the northern portion of the plant in 1951. --------- I think I can see the water pump!

IBM1951_zps523cd967.jpg

And the same area in 1966 - looking across Wynford toward the RR bridge over Don Mills Rd.

DonMillsRRunderpassNofEglinton19664_zps76602b7d.jpg
That is a great story! One thing about IBM/Celestica. I do not understand why no entrance was ever made right across from Wynford Dr. Right now you get cars almost flying out of the north entrance and crossing three lanes of traffic to make the left turn onto Wynford. I know Wynford did not always have a DVP on ramp, but it does now and it would make more sense to use the lights for an entrance and close up the one to the north.

Back