473     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 463     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 689     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

8d1c2126-21af-47bc-81c1-c0f4496d7575.jpg

thecharioteer,

Interesting. According to your streetmap, in your postcard view the viewer is looking westward towards the eastern side of Loretto Abbey - a quite dignified aspect. But the building on Spadina blocks what would otherwise have been a fine view. I'm thinking the Abbey severed off the Spadina frontage at some point.

Actually the severance was back in the 1850s when this was Lyndhurst. From Boulton's Atlas:

boulton_plan.jpg

This from Stephen Otto's great history of the neighbourhood.

Ha! According to Stephen Otto's history of the neighbourhood cited above by k10ery, Widder bought his house Lyndhurst from Robert Jameson, who had built it for his wife Anna, who wrote that fascinating book Winter Studies and Summer Rambles. The house might have been buried somewhere in the Loretto Abbey building.

Ha! According to Stephen Otto's history of the neighbourhood cited above by k10ery, Widder bought his house Lyndhurst from Robert Jameson, who had built it for his wife Anna, who wrote that fascinating book Winter Studies and Summer Rambles. The house might have been buried somewhere in the Loretto Abbey building.

I think you're right. Search for Loretto on the TPL site and the Jameson House comes up:

pictures-r-6496.jpg

Caption: Jameson, Robert Sympson, house, Wellington St. W., s. side, west of Spadina Ave.; INTERIOR, drawing-room, looking w.

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMDC-PICTURES-R-6496&R=DC-PICTURES-R-6496

Attachments

• pictures-r-6496.jpg
    pictures-r-6496.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 649
"Or west? In the Boulton Atlas detail above there seems to be a bay on the west side. "
QUOTE: nostalgic.

I am blind in one ear and cannot see out of the other! Re: East/West. - See below:

"INTERIOR, drawing-room, looking w."
QUOTE: Pic caption.

'was thinking of the morning sun, where I should have been acknowledging the late(r) afternoon lighting.
Duh!

Regards,
j t

Last edited:
Mustapha's question: "The farm on the right... I wonder if the original homestead is still there in the neighbourhood?"

This appear to be the oldest home in the neighbourhood - on the left, far background - an original farm-house perhaps?

TN170Aldwychc1910_zps9bd31f7f.jpg

It's so ironic to see this house. It was an authentic historic house likely from the Victorian era, and then it was renovated to look like the faux-historic junk you see around the 905.

Then again, one wonders if this is a renovation of an earlier renovation--who knows, maybe some false-stone 50s/60s affair or something...

It's Friday. Happy Friday, everyone. Friday should be a day where everyone's in a sunny mood given the weekend is almost upon us. Everyone except the Brits that is - it's never sunny in Britain, so Canadian-style optimism is just not possible.

It isn't just the weather though: Brits have another reason to be distressed...

Witness Highbury & Islington station in central-north London. This is Boris Johnson & Tony Blair's neighbourhood; a classy address.

Beautiful, innit?

View attachment 12206

Thanks for this UserNameToronto. I am one of Tetramesh's bigger fans on flickr. His work on London Then and Nows is unparalleled.

One wonders how many images of Toronto are lost - tucked away in photo albums or desk drawers.

Some of us might think they are of a personal nature, showing family members in cheesy poses, of no interest to anyone else.

Sometimes they show vanished streetscapes or buildings and this is where they might be of interest to us all.

So, an appeal. If you have something like this; let's see it. :)

In that vein, sometime ago, UT-er ValsHere sent me a picture of her great-grandfather's 364 Adelaide West grocery store.

1007valshereggrandfathersstore364adelaidew.jpg

1008.jpg

I took the Now picture through a window... that's why the quality is a bit off.

364 Adelaide is a one story brick building of indeterminate age; it's certainly not new, and may be the original grocery store.

Last edited:
St. Andrews Cemetery is located on St. Andrews Rd. in Scarborough - N. of the Scarborough General Hospital.

StAndrewsPresbyterianChurchcemetery1924_zpsbf9ae010.jpg

St. Andrews Church and steeple are now mostly obscured behind a recent growth of trees.

StAndrewscemetery2013_zpsc68d11b4.jpg

Back