News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 952     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

nope...its RHD, came over with me from the UK, but I have seen an old Austin with a church st address dealer badge on its bootlid...must try and find it.

They didn't do these in BRG, just something called Leaf Green, great if you want to blend in on a field...Over there its a Frogeye (hence the plate), here its a Bugeye, you lot just had to be different !

file.jpg

I was smitten with this cars spiritual descendant; the MG Midget, back in the mid-70ies. But it was never to be. :)

Then and Now for January 16, 2013.

Then. "Sep. 16, 1951. Lake Shore Blvd. looking W from approx. 100' E of Starr Ave".

Starr was a north/south street (it's no more) about halfway between Dunn and James on a line with Close Ave. to the north.

916starrwashalfwaybetweendunnandjamesononalinewithcloseavetothenorth.jpg

Now. September 2013.

917.jpg

Last edited:
nope...its RHD, came over with me from the UK, but I have seen an old Austin with a church st address dealer badge on its bootlid...must try and find it.

They didn't do these in BRG, just something called Leaf Green, great if you want to blend in on a field...Over there its a Frogeye (hence the plate), here its a Bugeye, you lot just had to be different !

file.jpg

Nice! I've seen that one around. What's that colour called?

Further to Mustapha's question, here's another place that appears to have sold (or at least serviced) Sprites back in the '60s, near Jane & Wilson:.

A few days ago (post 10270) there was discussion of Riverside Church at King and Bright
Riverside.jpg
. There is a "foundation stone" in the wall to right of the front door, vaguely visible in the photo, It only has a date on it MCMII (1902).

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 17, 2013.

Then. Wood-Green Church. Queen and Strange, SW corner.

c188-.

pictures-r-5859.jpg

Later. c1899.

918QueenStrangeSWc1899.jpg

Now. July 2012.

919.jpg

Woodgreen Church still exists; it's a few blocks to the east on Queen at Booth in a c1948 building.

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 18, 2013.

Then. Branch of The Dominion Bank. Queen and Sherbourne, SE corner. c1920.

920QueenSherbourneSEc1920.jpg

Now. July 2012.

921.jpg

Last edited:
"Then and Now for January 18, 2013."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

"Now. July 2013."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

Now. January 2013.
OUT of BUSINESS.

Regards,
J T

The 'now' is actually July 2012. The 'reply with quote' function is there for accuracy's sake ... so it's actually out of business, already?

"The 'now' is actually July 2012. The 'reply with quote' function is there for accuracy's sake ... so it's actually out of business, already?"
QUOTE: the lemur.

FYI, the quotation that I attributed to Mustapha is as was posted at the o'clock of 22:49. He was privately 'mailed as to the mis take,

you having arrived "at the scene" post his repost.

"Now. January 2013.
OUT of BUSINESS."

My post as in the above No 10328, mentions only that their business has ceased, the store being vacant. This may have

predated this month or no, I am not aware.

J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 17, 2013.

Then. Wood-Green Church. Queen and Strange, SW corner.

Later. c1899.

918QueenStrangeSWc1899.jpg

Goes to show that then as now,Toronto had its share of bad architects (death by turrets?). Almost as clumsy as the Cecil Street church that became a synagogue after its monstrous tower was truncated.

e64f011a1cba500b582a261189e504bb.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, the quotation that I attributed to Mustapha is as was posted at the o'clock of 22:49. He was privately 'mailed as to the mis take,

"Now. January 2013.
OUT of BUSINESS."

My post as in the above No 10328, mentions only that their business has ceased, the store being vacant. This may have

predated this month or no, I am not aware.

J T

I didn't see the original post, nor an indication of why it was edited.

I'm not questioning the date that it went out of business; it just seemed not to have been there very long.

"Goes to show that then as now,Toronto had its share of bad architects (death by turrets?)."
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

The same, but different?
Eg:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=turret+cigarette+tin

(Could it also be said "I'd climb 75 feet for a Turret!")

Regards,
J T

Interesting, thanks for posting. Both the turrets on the Wood-Green church and the one on the tin of Ogden's (purveyors of the famed nut-brown flake) remind me of rooks from a chess set.

Goes to show that then as now,Toronto had its share of bad architects (death by turrets?). Almost as clumsy as the Cecil Street church that became a synagogue after its monstrous tower was truncated.

Here it is from Robertson's Landmarks (1904). A sign that somebody agreed with you and dialled down the turrets? Personally, I have no problem with a little moorish extravagance.

8392241881_4e61d275da_z.jpg

Back