News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Peoples old things for sale in some shops that have been around for ages..

R0010538.jpg

R0010539.jpg

R0010541.jpg

R0010547.jpg

R0010545.jpg

R0010546.jpg

R0010544.jpg

Outside the Bank of Montreal on the NE corner of Queen and Yonge, on the sidewalk, there is a grate; look down and you will see abandoned ghostly stairs leading down into Queen station.

R0010542.jpg

This picture, nor the coins in it, are mine, but I have a handful of these nickels; they never fail to give me the same 'minor thrill' that DSC gets. :)

2770256837_5a694bd092_b.jpg

Note the morse code message spelled out on the edge of the 1943 and 1945 pieces.

That Morse code around the rim reads 'We win when we work willingly" and was a message to the Nazi's. The 1943 victory 5 cent piece is made of Tombac, a zinc and brass alloy. The substitution was made due to nickel being diverted for the war effort. When brass became a wartime limited resource, Tombac was withdrawn and replaced with chrome plated steel in 1944. One of Canada's rarer coins is the 1944 Tombac victory 5 cent piece.

Paul

Last edited:
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6278.jpg
IMG_6283.jpg

Just to round out our wartime 5 cent picture show here is a 1942 Nickel (pulled from my change), 1942 Tombac and a 1944 Chrome. I am just a working man so I could probably never afford a 1944 Tombac Victory. Please forgive my poor editing skills, I guess after almost 5 years here I am still "new".

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_6281.jpg
    IMG_6281.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_6278.jpg
    IMG_6278.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_6279.jpg
    IMG_6279.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6283.jpg
    IMG_6283.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
My wife just asked me why the Victory 5 cent only has "cents" written on it. The V has two purposes, V for victory and it's the roman numeral 5.

Paul

View attachment 9963View attachment 9964View attachment 9966
Just to round out our wartime 5 cent picture show here is a 1942 Nickel (pulled from my change), 1942 Tombac and a 1944 Chrome. I am just a working man so I could probably never afford a 1944 Tombac Victory. Please forgive my poor editing skills, I guess after almost 5 years here I am still "new".

Paul

Ok Paul, you showed me yours, I'll show you mine. :)

Below is my collection of war nickels with my personal watch (military issue) to add a bit of interest. Marathon Watch Company is based in Richmond Hill and their watches are sold to various countries. The one shown has 'US Government' on the dial and was destined for a US government contract. Marathon also supplies the divers of the Canadian Coast Guard.

R0010555.jpg

Like you, I pulled these out of my change.

I notice the rust on your 1944 and it makes me sad to know that all of Canada'a mint output is now plated steel and will suffer that same fate. On a happier note I promise not to post anything else about coins, returning you back to the previously scheduled Then and Now forum.

Paul

"Marathon Watch Company is based in Richmond Hill and their watches are sold to various countries. The one shown has 'US Government' on the dial
and was destined for a US government contract."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

May I suggest when travelling to/within the US of A that "The Watch" is not part of you habit?
(Even if you were to declare it.)

Regards,
J T

I have a question:

Are you sure that we are not the same person

or

are we three just Knight Owls?

Regards,
J T

I notice the rust on your 1944 and it makes me sad to know that all of Canada'a mint output is now plated steel and will suffer that same fate. On a happier note I promise not to post anything else about coins, returning you back to the previously scheduled Then and Now forum.

Paul

No problem... it was a nice change up. If we did straight Then and Now and nothing else; why, JT would be a dull boy. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_work_and_no_play_makes_Jack_a_dull_boy

"Marathon Watch Company is based in Richmond Hill and their watches are sold to various countries. The one shown has 'US Government' on the dial
and was destined for a US government contract."

May I suggest when travelling to/within the US of A that "The Watch" is not part of you habit?
(Even if you were to declare it.)

Regards,
J T

Thanks for the reminder.

To a US border agent it might appear to be stolen property.

To certain fanatics in other countries it might get me arrested; although I don't travel to those kinds of places.

"To a US border agent it might appear to be stolen property.
To certain fanatics in other countries it might get me arrested; although I don't travel to those kinds of places."
QUOTE:

It only needs to hapen twice; the First & The Last.

Reguards,
J T

"I have a question:
Are you sure that we are not the same person
or
are we three just Knight Owls?
MY QUOTE.

"This is a rumour that won't be laid to rest."

Here again and alone, with the other two still asleep. I shan't waken them for they are quiet now, but it is I, the ugly one

who requires the rest. ( Oh well, it is better to be one third of a brain than have none at all.)
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
This morning, from 'Mavis', a former Ward dweller, an absolutely charming personal Then and Now.

Mavis hasn't signed on yet as a UT member so I'm posting her pictures.

I'll let her continue from here on in:

"Hi Mustapha,

Mavis here.

Here are some personal Gerrard Village photos from 1963.

My brother, Michael Chu, had his art studio there at the time. It was named the Blue Easel. The lady in the picture is my sister-in-law. He later moved the studio over to Church St. just below Wellesley.

Did you ever attend Hester How P.S. on Elizabeth & Gerrard St.
or the pre-school run by a Ms. McTavish on the west side of University, just north of Dundas?

We grew up between Bay and Yonge - north side of Edward Street, just east of Bay St. until 1953.
Our family later lived on south side of Walton St, east of Bay St, until 1958.

Warmest Regards,

Mavis"

Gerrard, N side, between Elizabeth and LaPlante. 1963.

GerrardVillagelkgNEtowardsBaydoorwayofBlueEasel.jpg

GerrardStlkgNEtowardsBaySt.jpg

Now. December 2012.

PC122747.jpg

Gerrard, looking W, from approximately the intersection of Gerrard and Bay. 1963. 'Mary John's Restaurant', a Village fixture for many years is in the distance on the SE corner of Gerrard and Elizabeth.

GerrardStlkgSWtowardsElizabethStMaryJohnsrestaurantoncorner.jpg

PC122746.jpg

Such appealing pictures on so many levels; thank you Mavis.

Back