News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Here it is from Robertson's Landmarks (1904). A sign that somebody agreed with you and dialled down the turrets? Personally, I have no problem with a little moorish extravagance.

8392241881_4e61d275da_z.jpg

Didn't help much, k10ery! I also have no problem with turrets, finials, spires and towers (and a little Moorish extravagance) when they're done properly and skillfully, like in the exquisite Erskine Church which stood on Elm, west of University, or the pre-fire extravaganza of the Metropolitan Methodist Church on Queen.

e119707c1e4431f909e1c77e88391c1c.jpg

ae6b89250b336658ade2b6c031c5aa9c.jpg

09a7cdbd324a08273f199cea4ca397eb.jpg

Last edited:
It must have been spectacular to have been able to observe the construction of those churches.
Imagine watching the workers up on those spire!
Maybe more fascinating than watching Olga toping-off the CN Tower.

Last edited:
I think this shot really shows how the bits of the Ward that remained into the 60s looked shabby, ramshackle, and basically small. especially compared with the building on the other side, TGH or Sick Kids?, which looks bright and modern. It would, and I say this as a heritage enthusiast, be nigh on impossible to make any sort of case for retaining the older buildings.

I wouldn't credit the idea of JT ever being a dull boy, Mustapha, regardless of the topics around here. ;)

About the brown building to the south-west of Mary Johns restaurant: It was a 'nurses residence' built in the area where they demolished 'Hester How' Public School. Most of the kids that lived in the surrounding areas attended Hester How until it closed in 1953. The pupils were then dispersed to Orde St. P.S. and Wellesley St. P.S.

"I wouldn't credit the idea of JT ever being a dull boy, Mustapha, regardless of the topics around here."
QUOTE: Earlscourt_Lad.

Thank you Sire!

Just to enliven the Bay/Gerrard tastebuds, remember back that the the frog's legs were much better not at the Mermaid Seafood Restaurant

- w/s Bay Street n of Gerrard, but at a converted house - La Chamier, (?sp) Isabella Street s/s just east of Church Street.

(YUM!)

Regards,
J T

La Chaumiere, which may have been Toronto's first French restaurant (it was mine!) was at 77 Charles Street East, south side just east of Church. It has been replaced by a co-op.

96268050a69aa0fb26e17349d6e6b7ee.jpg

Last edited:
La Chaumiere, which may have been Toronto's first French restaurant (it was mine!) was at 77 Charles Street East, south side just east of Church.
i don't go to restaurants, ever... at least, not willingly... and not in the last couple of decades

but i once had french onion soup there... and was unimpressed

i don't go to restaurants, ever... at least, not willingly... and not in the last couple of decades

To think that if that soup had been incredible, your restaurant-going life might have turned out very different, r937!

"La Chaumiere, which may have been Toronto's first French restaurant (it was mine!) was at 77 Charles Street East, south side just east of Church."
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

Was not Charles Street named after John Grieco's son Charles?
(LOL)

Yes, it was on Charles Street; my mis take.

Regards,
j t

Perhaps you should have tried the Onion Soup at Gaston's, originally on Markham Street (in the Mirvish Village), later on Baldwin known as Le Petit Gastons. He used to serve it with a pair of scissors since the cheese was so thick.

Why wasn't the Metropolitan United Church rebuilt to its original design?

I would suggest that it was for a combination of financial and aesthetic reasons. The fire was in 1928, and after the 1929 crash it would have been difficult to raise the funds to recreate the 1872 Langley design (notwithstanding the role of the Massey family in rebuilding the church). On an aesthetic level, it could be that the exuberance of the High Victorian design was out of favour with the design sensibilities of the Twenties.

Didn't help much, k10ery! I also have no problem with turrets, finials, spires and towers (and a little Moorish extravagance) when they're done properly and skillfully, like in the exquisite Erskine Church which stood on Elm, west of University, or the pre-fire extravaganza of the Metropolitan Methodist Church on Queen.

e119707c1e4431f909e1c77e88391c1c.jpg

Does anyone know what the name of that public school? It's to the right/east of the church.. I looked in several of plinks online Goads maps but its identified only as 'Public School".

About the brown building to the south-west of Mary Johns restaurant: It was a 'nurses residence' built in the area where they demolished 'Hester How' Public School. Most of the kids that lived in the surrounding areas attended Hester How until it closed in 1953. The pupils were then dispersed to Orde St. P.S. and Wellesley St. P.S.

'Nuey - Jai'.. :) Ok I got that. Young Lady, today's Then and Now is for you.

Then and Now for January 21, 2013.

Then. Hester How Public School. 1952. Elizabeth St, W side, facing Walton Street.

hesterhowps1952.jpg

Now. January 2013.

P1202848.jpg

More on Hester How.

http://www.biographi.ca/EN/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=7458

http://www.billgladstone.ca/?p=7340

http://www.ago.net/hester-how

Back